Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Payment for stuff im selling? Help!
  • hilton83
    Free Member

Only ever sold stuff via the wife on fleabay before, i do have a pay pal account tho and ive seen a lot of people asking for payment via pay pal gift? How do i do that if i sell something, and then how do i get at that money? If i buy something from say CRC and pay with pay pal will it come from the money ive been paid via pay pal gift?

jambalaya
    Free Member

People say gift as they don’t want to attract attention of any authorities who might decide that they are really a business. Yes all the money goes into your paypal account as normal.

spooky_b329

Sellers say gift as they are trying to avoid the fee’s, and a buyer loses all protection hence sellers being happy to accept it.

As a buyer, especially on ebay, I would avoid bidding on auctions requesting paypal gift. I’ve bought off here before, the seller wanted gift but I chose to pay the normal way, but selected that I wanted to pay the fee myself. Its insurance against dodgy sellers.

njee20
    Free Member

Sellers say gift as they are trying to avoid the fee’s, and a buyer loses all protection hence sellers being happy to accept it.

As a buyer, especially on ebay, I would avoid bidding on auctions requesting paypal gift. I’ve bought off here before, the seller wanted gift but I chose to pay the normal way, but selected that I wanted to pay the fee myself. Its insurance against dodgy sellers.

This.

Wouldn’t have thought anyone’s that worried about ‘attracting attention’ 😕

hilton83
    Free Member

Ok so i understand the gift thing now, but if im selling something on here how i do i give the buyer my details for him to pay me, is it just my paypay username? God im crap, what happened to the good old days when someone just rang you up from ad mag? Lol

scaredypants

If your buyer asks to pay as a gift, say yes and then take the money but don’t bother posting the stuff – everyone’s a winner

or loser

njee20
    Free Member

All a buyer needs to PayPal you (Gift or not) is the email address for your PayPal account.

hilton83
    Free Member

Cheers njee20, and then i guess ill get the email confirming the payment at which point i’ll post the bits.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Yep, you’ve got it. At that point you can then transfer the cash in Paypal to your bank account if you want or leave it there to spent on other things. I always withdraw mine as I don’t trust PayPal too much if I’m honest!

Matt24k
    Free Member

You can only pay as a gift if you have a credit balance on your PayPal account.

mattbee

I never use gift. Annoys me tbh, it’s just a way of avoiding fees. just build them into your price. No protection as a buyer either, which I don’t like unless I know and trust the seller.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

If you’re worried about losing protection check their posting history, you’ll get a flavour for whether they are a regular contributor, and whether or not people have had issues. Despite being a cynical copper I’ve bought and sold stuff on the web for 15yrs (back in the days of posting cheques, and some of this was in the US with buyers and sellers 2000 miles away so no pitchfork recourse) and never had a single problem.

Or include the fees price in your quoted price.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Payment for stuff im selling? Help!’ is closed to new replies.