Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Paying off mortgage – what about the deeds?
  • MoreCashThanDash

As of today we now own this crumbling ruin outright 😀

What happens to deeds these days? Seem to recall they are all online with the Land Registry, but should we have a copy? What would we actually need them for anyway?

jota180
    Free Member

We had the deeds from day one (well a few weeks after buying it)
    After paying the mortgage off we just got a letter saying that the bank no longer had a charge on the property

neilwheel
    Free Member

Keep them in a safe place, maybe a bank?

Don’t keep them in the house as someone might steal them both together.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Isn’t everything digital now and kept with the land registry? (We have our deeds but were told we didn’t need to keep them safe.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I too think the deeds are all electronic these days. Make sure the bank release the charge on the property

breadcrumb

We put our deeds in our solicitors safe, think it was about £20 to store them indefinitely.

proutster
    Free Member

Congrats!
    Stop worrying about the deeds and get on the lash – that is something truly worth celebrating.
    Says “Very Jealous of Cheadle Hulme Who’s Just Signed-up to a Massive Mortgage at 48 years and10 months Old”

eatsdirt
    Free Member

As above all digital. You can get a pdf of the registration for 3 quid online at the land registry. Very disappointed when I found out all the bank did after handing them a cheque for the last 10 grand was discharge the property. I even had to nag for a letter to say I didn’t owe them any more money!

MoreCashThanDash

Funnily enough, tonight coincides with the monthly Dad’s Night Out, so some celebrations will be had.

So presumably we just ignore the deeds and get a copy from the Land Registry if we ever want to see a copy?

footflaps

Deeds are no longer important, all that matters is who is the registered owner with Land Registry. Possession of a set of deeds means you just own a few sheets of paper, so you can toss them in the fire for all they’re worth.

NB Congrats on being debt free, paid of ours about 5 years ago and it is nice knowing you don’t actually *have* to work anymore….

allthepies
    Free Member

Mine are in a drawer about 1.5 meters over there ->

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The question is how old are your deeds and when would have electronic copies have been made? My house is mid ’90’s build, and I unfortunately have at least another 10yrs to go before my mortgage is gone, but initially my solicitor held them, but about 6 or so years ago they handed them back for us to look after with strict instructions to be very careful with them and not to lose them. I read into that that there are no other copies electronic or otherwise in my case. It may be different for more modern houses. But that was my interpretation so I could be wrong.

jota180
    Free Member

Ours are in a big envelope somewhere

They have all sorts of documents attached, wills, death certificates, previous mortgages etc. (130 yr old house)

midlifecrashes

The correct answer is to put them in one of your deeds or estate boxes in your cellar.

footflaps

But that was my interpretation so I could be wrong.

Yep, completely wrong, the deeds no longer have any significance. The Land Registry will have a scan of them and can always post a copy. Our house is Victorian and the deeds certainly aren’t 100+ years old e.g. the map / plan in them is much more recent.

bensales
    Free Member

midlifecrashes – Member
    The correct answer is to put them in one of your deeds or estate boxes in your cellar.

I don’t know what I’m more impressed by, the age of your boxes, the age of your cellar, or the age of your wheel jig!

br
    Free Member

Deeds are no longer important, all that matters is who is the registered owner with Land Registry. Possession of a set of deeds means you just own a few sheets of paper, so you can toss them in the fire for all they’re worth.

If its ok by you, I’ll just keep ours in a safe place – just in case.

midlifecrashes

If you have an older house, mine is only a 1901, and you are offered the deeds, take them and have a good look, they can be fascinating.

We got the deeds boxes as souvenirs from the leftovers of the estate of the old lady who lived next door, a Countess and daughter of an Earl, lovely old girl, tough as old boots and proper old school dry sense of humour. The wheel jig I bought on Gumtree from an old fella in Sheffield who’d been using them to fettle the wire wheels on a sixties Lancia, cost me £15.

mick_r

Halifax kindly offered to shred ours if we didnt want them!

tonyg2003

As said above you can apply to the land registry for the deeds. Paid off the mortgage just over 2 yrs ago. I did briefly think about paying for the deeds (£8 somehow sticks in my mind) but in the end couldn’t be bothered. Now this thread has come around I might get around to it.

OP It’s a nice but sort of anticlimactic feeling. You maybe need to change your user name now too!

timba
    Free Member

As above, it’s a good feeling. Paid mine off except for £1, nice cheap deeds storage for the next 10 years, I’ll bet they don’t let me re-mortgage though 🙂

We were given a wodge of old paperwork that they didn’t need including some hand-written from the 1930s, framed some of it (out of sunlight)

MoreCashThanDash

Was exceptionally smug last night at the Dads Night Out when they were arguing about the best kind of mortgage deal.

Now just feeling slightly fragile 😳

biglee1

My first mortgage was paid off and I did the same as timba, owed them a pound and they keep hold of them, I`ll do that when I pay the current mortgage off as well in a short time 😀

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

How about, keep them somewhere safe-ish at home, plus a scan in a copy and keep it in cloud / remote USB stick / parents / siblings house?

footflaps

How about, keep them somewhere safe-ish at home, plus a scan in a copy and keep it in cloud / remote USB stick / parents / siblings house?

Why bother, you don’t need them, they have no value and you can get a new copy any time you like from the Land Registry….

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My point was that for older houses how has the land registry got a copy of your deeds? not a problem with modern houses where the deeds were created electronically in the first place so they can print off copies any time, but for older houses where electronic copies won’t exist how can the land registry provide copies?

footflaps

What is far more scary than losing your deeds is that the Tories have been trying to flog off the Land Registry (luckily they were forced to abandon it last time round).

This is truly terrifying as Land Registry determine who owns what and if they cock up and change their records, you lose your home (no matter how many worthless sets of deeds you have in the cellar). So flogging LR off to some utterly incompetent private sector company who lay off all the UK staff, outsource it to India and export all the profits overseas whilst not giving a toss about accuracy of records is pretty scary as for most people their house is their largest asset.

Keep an eye out for the next attempt to flog it off….

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jul/14/land-registry-privatisation-plans-abandoned-ministers

footflaps

but for older houses where electronic copies won’t exist how can the land registry provide copies?

If they don’t have a copy they just re-issue a new modern set. It really doesn’t matter as the deeds are completely and utterly worthless in monetary terms….

dudeofdoom

yep it’s a fab feeling when you’ve finished your mortgage…..

mines just wedged in the back of a wardrobe with all the original paperwork and house sale handout….

dudeofdoom

I’ve still got the indentured to no bank feeling 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Paying off mortgage – what about the deeds?’ is closed to new replies.