Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Pay rises
  • howarthp

I’m in the process of negotiating pay rises with staff. It’s a media business and the rise is coming in at around 6%. I think that’s very good bearing in mind that CIPD are predicting a 1.2% average this year.

What’s your view?

johndoh
    Free Member

Does it matter what *WE* think?

Drac

A what?

Coyote
    Free Member

Average across industry as a whole is irrelevant. 6% is pretty good and potentially represents quite a hike in the wage bill. Is it sustainable or if growth drops off will there have to be cuts to compensate? Maybe 4% with a contingency fund?

Alternatively what about a low % payrise but pay the rest in bonus?

scruff9252

Pay rise? I’d love one. My “payrise” once inflation and tax changes in are accounted for will be (yet another) a paycut.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

our union is fighting tooth and nails for 3% ..its been a couple of months now 😐

bruneep

move along nothing for us to see here

M6TTF
    Free Member

payrise and bonus. two mythical words

doris5000

i got 1% last year. But the NI increase last month removed about 1.5% of my take-home. 😐

I did get 2% the year before though.

poly
    Free Member

Why would you pay 6% more to do the same job? inflation is nowhere near six p.c. Were you underpaying them before? Is this going to create an ongoing expectation?

Of course if people’s roles have evolved they may merit more, but that is not a rise, that is a change.

PJM1974
    Free Member

What is “payrise”?

Junkyard
    Free Member

we want to work for you

Its a very generous offer IMHO
    I guess the only concern is it creates an expectation that it will be the same each year

dave661350

I’d offer them 3% and as someone mentioned, a bonus of some sort IF predicted profits come true later in the year. This is a wind up right ?

milky1980
    Free Member

Anything above 0 is good IMO currently. My workplace has gone through 3 pay votes now, where they tried to remove various ‘perks’, all have been rejected. Next step is work-to-rule then industrial action as we’ve not had a payrise above 0.5% for 5 years now.

In real terms my pay has dropped every year (and one pay dropin ’10) in the last 8, I’d need a 16% payrise to just keep up with inflation 🙁

Drac

Now people are showing off.

trail_rat
    Free Member

We just voted on 5 % paycut- although the options were 10% 7.5% 6.2% and 5%

Which was nice. Not many jobs going ATM mind so like it or lump it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Payrise, how very quaint.

howarthp

Thanks all. I’ve taken over what was an owner-managed business which has a history of significant rises. Our staff are predominantly graduates who we train inhouse. There are lots of different factors at play – the sector, being in London, the swing from over to under supply of grads etc.

v8ninety

This thread is making me grumpy. These 6% feckers are *probably/maybe* the same feckers who whinge about public sector ‘gold plated’ pensions. In fact, here’s an idea; tell them they’ll get 6%, but you’re going to take 12% off them to fund a pension, which will pay less than was anticipated before the ‘pay rise’.

Bitter? Moi? 👿

benz
    Free Member

A what?

Obviously there is some history therefore don’t take current in isolation….however…

Like t-r, O&G industry.

Pay plus package reduction is the norm. Contractors plus staff getting notable cuts. Typically negotiation is along the lines of ‘You have a choice. Accept it or you have no job. The choice is yours’.

However I also acknowledge that many folks (not all) have historically been well paid v national norms.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

6%? I got a promotion last year and didn’t even get that – and not because I was overpaid in my previous job (I wasn’t). annual pyrites for the last few years for me have worked out at around 2 – 2.5% (our payrise is linked to performance of the company), and before that even less, so been slim pickings.

footflaps

There are rumours we might get a pay rise this year. Be the first one in ages mind….

stumpy01

Been at my current job just over 4 years and got my first pay rise last month; 4.5% which was nice to get.
    We knew we were getting a rise for a while, but not how much. Some of the company doom mongers were predicting 1.5%, so they were pleasantly surprised.

Sounds good, but when I started they made a big thing about the annual pay rises and discretionary bonuses…but I started just as our industry took a bit of a nosedive so I am grateful to still have a job that I enjoy (in the most part).

chewkw
    Free Member

If inflation rate rise is not a pay rise then I have not had a pay rise since 2000.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

1.25% here although they told us to whistle for our 10% bonus so errrr -8.75% :/

Drac

Bo…..nus? What are these words Payrise and Bonus you speak of?

footflaps

What are these words Payrise and Bonus you speak of?

Mythical concepts unless you’re a CEO of a FTSE 100 in which case you get 25% pay rise every year for just turning up…

chewkw
    Free Member

I have never had Bonus in my entire working life. Never.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Our ‘managers’ get bonuses but the staff who actually do the work don’t, which is probably par for the course. I got a payrise which consisted of a £183 lump sum, a bit like a ‘thanks for turning up’ payment. Never had an actual rise for about 5 years.
    Prison service. Do Not Even Think About Applying! It’s shit.

mudshark
    Free Member

The averagely rated people in my team got 1% but I got 2% so lucky me.

phildaws
    Free Member

Sure your staff would love to know you are taking advice on a mountain bike forum… if it came out at 6%, pay them 6%….

P-Jay
    Free Member

Had a 20% rise about 12 months ago but nothing this year so far (I’m not complaining) looking to review it again Autumn time-ish, don’t think it will be as big a jump again, maybe 10%, again I’m not complaining but I’m not alone – it seems after years of little or nothing, with unemployment low again and more people feeling brave enough to move jobs again wages are starting to go up.

Mrs had a decent one this year too, 6% ish, not bad for NHS worker, although it was an incremental rise rather than a payrise per-se

Ben_H

NHS pay “rises” have been a total of 2%…

…since 2010. That’s more than offset by pension and tax rises, too: my pension contribution has gone from 6% to 13.5% in that time!

The latest “1%” for 2016/17 was offset by the end of NI contracting-out, meaning a net reduction of 0.3% for most workers.

🙁

matt_outandabout

A what?

We also do not get any progression up scales.
    😐

chubstr
    Free Member

Pay rise? Don’t get me started. Manager tells team we’re getting a pay rise in September……woops! Got that wrong, it’s only for people who got a promotion since the last one……sorry

Oh, and as you’re higher in the pay scale and we need to let everyone else catch up, don’t expect any money for you for some time

miketually
    Free Member

Since 2010, we’ve had something like 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 0%, 1%, 1%. We’ve also had our pensions weakened, contact hours increased by around 5%, and the NI increase.

T1000
    Free Member

OP more significantly has your staff churn rate gone up? are you able to recruit?

if these are a problem, either pay more or make it a better place to work

br
    Free Member

To really show pay stagnation, my middle son got the same money in his apprenticeship as I did, 30 years before…

I’ve never given a general payrise over and above inflation, best-case it should be whatever inflation was in the previous 12 months.

If you want to give additional monies, then on top of the general payrise either give bonuses (one-off and no further commitment) or specific payrises by grade/skillset/location etc.

Anything else is just building up commitment.

footflaps

To really show pay stagnation, my middle son got the same money in his apprenticeship as I did, 30 years before…

WTF! That is criminal, just shows how bad inequality has become eg CEOs have never been so well paid.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Pay rises’ is closed to new replies.