Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Pay Rise
  • Xylene
    Free Member

What % annual pay rise do you look for in your role, in particular management roles?

My last position before this, I had a sudden increase in pay at the end of the first year by around 25% due to a stipend doubling and an improved pay scale being implemented – it meant a big jump, and with flat 5% tax made for great savings.

I took about a 25% pay cut moving to this current role, which I saw as more beneficial career wise, and therefore could justify the cut in salary for a while.

At the end of the first year I received a 5% raise, plus 1.8% adjustments, and a months salary as a bonus.

Having just had the renewal and resigning talk, I was told I would get annual 5%, plus the 1.8% adjustment and a months bonus. over the next two years.

With exchange rates it has put me back to at my last position, although I am now taxed a lot more.

Feels a bit underwhelming compared to the 25% a few years ago.

Is this just greed?

MoreCashThanDash

Civil service, just above the mid point of my salary, which is – now – just above the benefits cap.

I will get less than 1%. And it is management level grade.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I am assuming this is a genuine post rather than a “look at meeeeeee!!” post. Got to say that in the current climate any sort of a payrise is pretty good. There are a lot of people, not just in the public sector, who are on a knife edge just for their job let alone any notions of a pay rise. I would say what you have had is pretty good. but that’s just my opinion. 🙂

jam-bo

that would be a pretty good deal in the uk right now.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don’t know, but there can’t be many people who get a 25% increase in basic salary every year “just because”.

creamegg
    Free Member

Around the 10% last month and the same about 6 months ago. I cant see me getting another pay rise in 6 months though

legend
    Free Member

Feels a bit underwhelming compared to the 25% a few years ago

You were really hoping/expecting a yearly 25% increase?

Any pay rise is going to feel rubbish after a hefty 1-off scenario like that. Sounds like you need to get your head back to the real world.

Financials for the year wont be out for another month or so, I’m expecting somewhere between 1.5-2.5% (and a bonus of roughly 1/2 a months salary)

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Feels a bit underwhelming compared to the 25% a few years ago.

Are you expecting a 25% increase every year? 😯

Is this just greed?

You work it out, you’re the manager, aren’t you?

totalshell

mrs tts is a pharmacy manager with a well known high street pharmacy.. no rise this year or last and that followed 4 years of pay decreases ..

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Mrs is in a public sector management role with about 100 staff. She hasn’t had a pay rise in the last 3 years.

I’m in a private sector management role. My pay rises (promotions aside) have been about 2% PA over the same period.

Yes, I’d say a 5% rise was exceptionally good.

Xylene
    Free Member

not a look at me, a genuine interest in what people get as pay rises, helps keep things in perspective for me, which at this moment from 3 posts in I am feeling it was a decent deal.

spawnofyorkshire

<1% in the pseudo Public sector (university)
    I do get an annual increment bump though

leffeboy

2%

Xylene
    Free Member

^ annual increment – is that inflation adjustment?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is this post for real or just willy waving?Pay rises, foreign work etc

Many of us have not had a pay rise since the banks **** everything up up to you how greedy career focused you are.

Personally I think you arr batting way above average in wages rises and way below it awareness.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

5% is damn good, unless your role changes significantly then expecting more is a bit greedy.

Xylene
    Free Member

^ thank you. genuinely not a willy waver, i presumed that STW was affluent enough to talk about these things with watch threads etc.

Last job I had in the UK was public sector and that was frozen when I was there. I don’t know if it still is or not.

bruneep

1% but with rising pension cost = pay cut.

Xylene
    Free Member

5% is damn good, unless your role changes significantly then expecting more is a bit greedy.

Cheers – that is about what I was looking for.

stumpy01

My wife is in the Police on a pay structure that had pay rises built in – one of the reasons she took the role even though she started on a lower pay than her previous job was that she knew within X years, she’d be earning a decent amount more.
    Then they cut all that & she’s been on the same pay for 4 years or so. So, 0% pay rise there.
    EDIT – oh, and seeing morecashthandash’s post below reminded me, her pension payments have gone up (with no choice) but what she gets at the end has gone down) – so overall she is a lot worse off than she was.

Me – I started at the place I am currently at almost 4 years ago. I have had one pay rise after they did a review of salaries and found that I was slightly under where I should be for my role & experience. So that was levelling the playing field so to speak.
    Apart from that, we have had no pay rise since I have been here.
    We’ve been told that there is one coming in a few months but no indicator of how much. I’m expecting a few percent and would be very pleased to get 5 percent, given how the tough times are industry are having at the moment.

Just happy to have a job, working for a decent company with great colleagues at the moment given the state of our economy.

MoreCashThanDash

Annual increments gone in our corner of the public sector.

Forgot to factor in the increasing pensions contributions. So that increase of less than 1%….. 😥

prawny

Private sector here, Moved to a new company for 20% more, nothing last year, expecting nothing this year. May have to move again, we shall see.

Northwind

2% for us this year I think- succesful industrial action last year, bluffs were called. But it’s more about regradings etc so your personal pay deal varies a lot. TBH it seems pretty unfair, definitely squeaky wheels get greased and there’s not much equality across the organisation. But I’ve done alright from it. (I’ve not had much pay rise but I got the entire job I do regraded up a role 2 years ago so that was worth about 20%)

ebennett

I’m in the private sector and have had between 5-10% over the last few years.

Kryton57

How out of touch must you be to think 25% – a quarter of your wage – is anywhere near the norm? 1-2% in corporate IT is normal for an average performer without argument, promotion, of role change, depending on the books that could be 0%.

If you concerned your salary is incorrect check with the many scary checkers available on the internet.

miketually
    Free Member

We (sixth form college teachers) got 1% last year, after having nothing since the 2010 election (plus pension contribution increases, so a cut in overall pay).

We’re expecting 1% this year, to be decided in a couple of months, but it won’t be backdated to September like it used to be.

freddyg
    Free Member

Private sector here – Big (blue) American company. Joined in 2010 and had nothing (0%) since – despite initial promises of bonus/annual increments before I joined.

footflaps

Pay rise? I vaguely seem to recall hearing that phrase many years ago when I was a young man…..

Pre-2008 it was 5% per year but now 0% is the norm where I work (private sector).

Drac

Pay rise hahaha good one.

mrchrispy

depends on where you are in your career.
    When I first started in IT I was getting 10-15% every 6 months for a couple of years but it soon levelled out and since then the only time I get a decent bump is when I move roles.

unknown
    Free Member

My team are getting between 2-5% thi s month and I’m getting hee-haw (although I did get a decent bump with a promotion last year).

soobalias
    Free Member

ive checked my pay statements.

between dec 2010 and dec 2015 my take home pay has increased by £46/month (2% in 5 years)

and there goes my work motivation…

Scapegoat

Yep, no annual increments anymore, no CRTP, no unsociable hours payments anymore, and a 1.5% increase in pension contributions. Add to that news that NI top up rules are changing, so I may not draw a state pension under the old terms either. Don’t think any of us in the public sector will offer too much in the way of sympathy I’m afraid.

robdob
    Free Member

1% for the last few years (since 2009 I think) so with inflation as it has been I’ve effectively been paid less every year.
    Public sector.
    A lot of people have left my place in the last 2/3 years, but I suppose if you are a talented civil engineer or project manager or similar you wouldn’t put up with the 1% when you can get much better elsewhere.

ourmaninthenorth

Pre-banking crisis, it was 10-15% + bonus each year. After then it’s been more like 5-6% + bonus each year. Except last year when promotion + pay rise was 32% (not incl bonus).

My educated guess is that this year is going to be 0% with minimal or no bonus.

I’m sufficiently self aware to understand this is outside the norm for many – Mrs North is a university type and is appreciative of the annual “spine point” increments in the absence of any other sort of payrise.

@ OP – you’re deluded if you think you’re being hard done by..!

Junkyard
    Free Member

between dec 2010 and dec 2015 my take home pay has increased by £46/month

that is just the increase in tax allowances

tomd
    Free Member

0% this year here.

That’s basically because the market’s tough so my services are worth the same (or less) than a year ago.

Does the business your in justify any more of rise than you got? If you’re doing something that has 25% more value or has created more value than a year before then by all means chase a bigger hike.

soobalias
    Free Member

dont say that JY – you will make me cry

tax allowances, NI contributions, pension contributions, rise in pension age, reduction in pension benefit (if it actually arrives)

Drac

between dec 2010 and dec 2015 my take home pay has increased by £46/month

No one likes a show off.

But at least you’re reasonable not like the OP who seems to think he’s hard done to.

growinglad
    Free Member

Got a bonus for 2015, no pay rise for 2016. I took a jump in take home pay when I moved here in 2015 as the salary is a bit better than my last and I don’t have a 120 km round trip every day, win in time not spent on the road, can commute by bike and I work with some great lads and there is a good environment…sitting tight for the moment as things are a bit shaky in the market, but if my particular business keeps heading down and the bonus/pay rise isn’t up to scratch I’ll probably start looking.

In my eyes, bonus is for work above and beyond and to keep you at the company. If you can get more else where and the environment is okay, go for it. Companies won’t keep you around for a minute longer than they have to so you don’t own them anything in return.

Do your work for the given salary, if the market goes up and they don’t want to increase, then go else where and get it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Pay Rise’ is closed to new replies.