Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Pay as you go SIM / Dongle
  • zokes
    Free Member

We’ll be visiting the UK for a couple of months, and need UK SIM cards for our phones. Sadly, two months’ holiday for me is really only two weeks of holiday, and six weeks of “holiday with laptop” (wife’s on maternity leave).

So, I need a SIM that will let me tether to my iPhone. Last time I was over, I had GiffGaff, but for whatever reason (GiffGaff blame Apple), it seems that tethering isn’t easily supported on the iPhone – can anyone state whether this is still the case? If so, which network would be best in terms of coverage in the Lakes and North Wales with a reasonable PAYG data allowance also?

zokes
    Free Member

nobody?

Aidy
    Free Member

I think coverage is likely to be spotty in North Wales and the Lakes, no matter what network you’re on.

“Reasonable data allowance” isn’t clear cut. What are you looking for?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I doubt there is a great deal of difference tbh
    in the lakes most networks well or not at all in the same regions IME

I think you can check each networks coverage somewhere

http://ukmobilecoverage.co.uk/

there you go – no idea if any good though

you have my address if you want a ride/borrow a bike

Mackem

Just get a cheapo android phone and stick a sim card in that and use that as a hotspot. Plenty of cheap and cheerful jobbies second hand.

zokes
    Free Member

“Reasonable data allowance” isn’t clear cut. What are you looking for?

I have no idea what represents a good value for money amount. Is 50 quid going to get me 2, 5, or 10 GB? I’m guessing ‘unlimited’ has the same meaning as it does in Aus i.e. ‘limited’?

And thanks for the offer Junkyard – possibly more difficult this time with Mrs and MiniZ in tow. However, we’ll be near Snowdonia for about six weeks, so if you fancied a drive it would be great to get out. Most of my time in Bolton will be introducing daughter to (great)grandparents.

smurfly13
    Free Member

One month rolling contract for £23 a month with Three mobile will get you the one plan…. Not payg, it’s a contract but only for 30 days if you are able to get one?

This includes truly unlimited data and unlimited tether (hasn’t been capped yet)

Junkyard
    Free Member

Most of my time in Bolton will be introducing daughter to (great)grandparents.

Trust me they wont GAS about you or notice when you leave…..its your first so much to learn so much to learn
    Mail me nearer the date and I am sure i can sort something.

iolo
    Free Member

Even though it dreads me to tell you as I hate orange with a passion the best for mobile in north wales is EE. Which part will you be staying? There’s always BT openzone as an option.

PePPeR

I’d say three too, my son uses about 6-7gb a month and they’ve never charged any more than his £15.00 a month contract or throttled it back. Tethering can be an issue, you may have to ask for that separately though.

northend1881
    Free Member

Virgin do an unlimited 30day contract for £15 for android phones and tethering hasn’t been an issue to date.

iolo
    Free Member

Three signal is not so good in snowdonia. Even worse inside. You’ll get 2G but will quickly get annoyed.
    If I remember rightly Virgin works on O2 – again dodgy signal.
    In snowdonia the best signal for speaking is Vodafone.
    For data EE.

northend1881
    Free Member

Virgin run on the EE network I think. I’m currently in south Wales and have to wi fi hotspot for the laptop as the wife’s O2 dongle is garbage round here.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Get 2, one on each network…

The boss had one that did a huge amount of data last time he went back up north, I’ll find out what it was.

For the lakes Orange did well for me (it became the provider of choice for a big factory on the west cost so it improved a bit with a few thousand work phones circulating) North Wales again orange was good when I was last there but it’s very hit and miss.

I’m not sure how much it covers now but the BT Fon thing where you used to share bandwidth of your home wifi was a good start and it let you into the BT openzone stuff so a 2 month sub to something like that might help.

zokes
    Free Member

In my time in N Wales and the Lakes I’ve had Orange, O2, and Three with the notion that O2 gave the best reception. Last time I was back I was on GiffGaff on O2. I’ll look into the rolling contracts as I’m still a UK citizen and have bank accounts etc.

Junkyard – will let you know dates when I’ve had chance to speak to the Mrs. She’s in charge of my social life these days, and I’m currently in Perth about to head to Little Creatures, so can’t ask her now…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Pay as you go SIM / Dongle’ is closed to new replies.