Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Patterdale Terriers (or similar)
  • hora
    Free Member

Anyone have experience of these?

Looking for a good, compact, hardy (no inherent illnesses) breed/dog

duncancallum

Mines awesome. Loads of character.

She’s as thick as mince though.

There’s been a thread on this before I think mate.

daftvader
    Free Member

previous Patterdale thread…
    We’ve got a Patterdale lab x and she’s fab!

tonyg2003

We are looking for a patterdale as the next dog to join our (STW stock answer warning) Border. Most terriers should be fairly free of inherent illness.

jota180
    Free Member

When they get it in their head – they’ll totally ignore your commands 🙂

But it’s sort of funny

jp-t853

Ours is the perfect lovely little dog. She came from eden animal rescue and took a while to get used to me as she had been abused in a prior home.

The best bit about going to a shelter is they have got to know the dogs and tell if they will be good with kids etc. It is an awful thought but you can also take a dog back to a home if they do not mix with the family but a bit of patience usually gets there

bikemike1968
    Free Member

My parents had a female Patterdale.

Plus points –
    Pretty little thing.
    Stayed healthy – no big vets bills.
    Incredibly loyal to my Dad.

Minus points –
    Viscous little thing.
    Caused many other dog owners large vets bills.
    Wouldn’t let any body near my Dad.

She ended up pernamently muzzled after a couple near misses with small children. If you’ve got kids or walk your dog where there are children or dogs around I wouldn’t risk it, some are lovely but a few are psychos.

Del

you got rid of your westie because you treated it like a baby and it inexplicably couldn’t understand why it was displaced by an actual baby, and now you’re looking patterdales. 🙄

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Killing machines and viscous. *im sure there are exceptions

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

you got rid of your westie because you treated it like a baby and it inexplicably couldn’t understand why it was displaced by an actual baby, and now you’re looking patterdales.

Really?

hora
    Free Member

Del -1 for not answering the topic, rather than being childish.

If you’d like an answer though my westie could run off road with a bike off the lead and had zero health, fat or other physical issues at 7yrs old. A dog in its prime. Sadly most 2yr+ Westies are pampered/spoilt and as such riddled with issues. He could walk off the lead and be recalled and showed good care from his owner.

When a baby comes along a dominant male dog may feel displaced. If it turns it has to be rehomed. That’s what happened on the second attack.

Now. How many babied-pampered dogs do you hear in such condition?
    Del you are an old bloke aren’t you? I think I’ve met you.

yunki
    Free Member

We have a Patterdale x Jack Russell

She is basically a cat in a dog costume at home but as swift as the wind on the beach and extremely pleasant to other dogs and people

Been looking at Parson’s terriers recently (the original Jack Russell, but stouter and with longer legs)

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

hora why was your dog dominant? In any household the dog should be at the bottom of the pecking order not the top. Even when a baby comes along the dog should be aware of this. If you get another dog you will need to address this problem in its training or you will be rehoming another one before you know it.

Maybe terriers are different but I’ve never had any issues like this with Labradors and children.

angeldust
    Free Member

Don’t get one unless you are really sure you can keep it this time.

Del

hora why was your dog dominant? In any household the dog should be at the bottom of the pecking order not the top. Even when a baby comes along the dog should be aware of this. If you get another dog you will need to address this problem in its training or you will be rehoming another one before you know it.

+1
    no hora, i don’t think we’ve ever met, and i’m not sure why you would think we had. we’re practically at different ends of the country for a start. quite what my age has got to do with anything i’m not sure, but i guess i could qualify for ‘should know better’ – early 40s.

anyway, back on topic, i have a dog now, and had a patterdale, which is partly what causes me to post on this thread, but also because i remember your threads about your westie, asking for advice on how to deal with the problems you were having when junior came along, and you didn’t apply much if any of the quite reasonable advice you were given, which resulted in you rehoming the dog. must have been difficult.
    how about you go back and read the responses you got the last time you started talking about getting another dog? hey – maybe you’re older and wiser now, and you can take the time to train a dog properly ( beyond recall and walking to heal ) so that it can be around your family.
    how old is your nipper?
    how about a labrador or a retriever?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Take a look at Red Fell Terriers. They’re the gingery version of Patterdales. Same build, design brief etc, but much more laid back. I’ve had two and they’ve both been absolute Gentlemen with children, puppies, dogs etc.
    They’re tough as old boots and my two have never needed the vet except for jabs etc.
    The three Patterdales I have known well though have all had a side to them. I would have to really know the parents well before I considered one joining my family .

deluded
    Free Member

Hora,

If you’re interested, my bother-in-law is selling 3 Patterdale’s (with a hint of Lakeland – Patterdale mated with a Patterdale Lakeland cross mother). Two are black and the other is tan and black. All three are bitches.

Apparently they’re fantastic around kids, loyal (and good ‘ratters’ – my BiL is a farmer in Hampshire).

cloudnine
    Free Member

Sister in law has a Patterdale x Jack Russell and its gone for my kids twice (snappy little shit of a dog).

If you have young kids i wouldnt.

yunki
    Free Member

On the other hand our patterjack and her owner came to us when the dog was around two years old and has had eyes poked, ears and tail pulled, squeaking, shrieking, squawking and nose to nose staring, she’s been picked up and dragged around, has had to endure wearing all manner of things, fights at the food bowl, unexpected baths and has had a gazillion games of ‘how much lego can we balance on Tilly’ ever since

She’ll occasionally give a tiny resigned growl if she is hiding under the duvet and my 2 year old decides her day’s torment is not complete.. He’s much safer with the dog under those circumstances than he is with me

As others have said above though.. it’s pretty much all down to the owners with dogs isn’t it? (except pugs and their crosses.. they are pricks)

Don’t be hard on yourself over it though hora… I had a delightful rescued staffy bitch who I doted on and she was an excellent dog but I had to have her put down when my first son was born as she got jealous (I couldn’t bring myself to rehome her as she’s already been to two rescue centres and had been in two neglectful/abusive households)

hora
    Free Member

Ours was very dominant the only dogs he wouldn’t have a go at were Border Terriers. He was very sociable and off the lead very compliant for recall etc. He loved our lad when he was born right up to 18months. As soon as he started crawling etc pulling the dogs face our dog turned anxious, distant and off his food. Very soon he turned. He couldn’t be in the same house after the second attack in two days. The westie owner who took him in sent a photo through the westie charity. He was fat sat on a sofa which riled me abit as we kept him fit/in shape. That’s why its abit raw Del. We got a character at 12weeks old and had some great times for 7yrs. He used to race round in huge circles in the park making passes, swooping in on me whilst I’d talking to another dog owner, nip at my trousers then shoot off again in a huge circle.

That was 3.5yrs ago. Our lads 5 now.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Now you’ve explained it hora I understand.
    Don’t get riled by the pic sent by the charity they were only reassuring you he had gone to a good home. Maybe not the same home he had with you but at least he was being well looked after by the sounds of things.

Good luck finding a new trail hound! 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Cheers and sorry Del. Its still raw.

wrightyson
    Free Member

We’ve got a Brussel (our name), as in beagle cross jack russel, he is nuts and aggressive with other dogs. However we’re really taking our time with him, I’ve even podded out for the wife and kids to go to puppy classes where he decided to act like the dog version of gripper from Grange hill.
    Hopefully we’ll get there but who knows..

Nobby

This is Tilly:

Rough haired Patterdale a bit smaller than most as she was the runt of the litter & a bit ‘bullied’ by her 5 brothers. She’s a fantastic dog – a bit nervous of strangers or dogs she doesn’t know but is great with kids and is equally content sprawled out in front of the fire as she is tearing around the woods covered in cack. She will catch one of those squirrels one day 🙂

Two other family members have them too and they are much the same although the dogs tend to be a bit boisterous compared to the bitches.

surfer
    Free Member

Hora I’ve had a Lakeland terrier for 9 years and we got a Cocker Spaniel 12 months ago (he is 16 months) and I wouldnt have another Lakeland (or terrier for that matter)
    My Lakeland is well socialiased and happy around my 2 children (they were 7 and 9 when we got her) She is a good house dog although barks incessantly if anyone goes near the front door. She is pretty agraphobic though which is a disapointment, the Cocker is the opposite, loves being outside with me walking and running. The Lakeland however literally runs away when you get her lead out!
    They all have slightly different characteristics but for balance there are those that arent the “outdoor” “full on” types.

Scapegoat

I know of a couple who got two litter mate Patterdales. They were inexperienced and had no control of the dogs who became such hooligans that it became almost impossible to walk them in public, on or off the lead. They are a strong-minded breed and take a good bit of experienced handling to start with. Add in the pack mentality that the brothers exhibited, and you redouble the issues as the couple found out. They are not for the faint hearted, they are not for the inexperienced. There are better, easier terrier breeds out there to be honest. I’ve had a fair few terriers, mostly crosses, the last one being a Yorkie /JR cross, (he was really a cross between a pyjama case and a psychopath) and would still steer clear of Patterdales, especially with a youngster in the house.

Looks like butter wouldn’t melt, but Buster never spent a minute off the lead, anywhere except in the house. His sole remit was to kill anything that wasn’t human. He utterly, utterly adored the kids, and put up with some spectacular toddler-based liberties, but had to go under my coat if there was another dog in sight.

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

hi hora, i would be looking at other breeds than terriers with a youngster in the house. They can be real nasty little buggers when the mood takes them and very protective of what they presume to be theirs.

hora
    Free Member

Well hora jnr will feed the pup from day one onwards so he’ll be ‘his’

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

got Two of them, I couldn’t wish for two better doggies 8)

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/11852880/

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Also Missus Lawmanmx is on a couple of Patterdale pages on farcebook that give loads of info and you can see many in their home environment and how happy people seem to be with them.
    1, For the love of pet patterdales
    2, Patterdale terrier
    3, Patterdale terrier Group (for working dogs)

loads of pics to look at too 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Patterdale Terriers (or similar)’ is closed to new replies.