Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • patriot 66? a good all day bike?
  • crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

hi, does any1 have or has had a patriot 66. if so how light is it and is it as easy as the website says for all day riding? im already pretty certain that its a capable downhiller.
    oh and how big do you biuld it up?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Define all day riding? Where? How? Etc.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

an example is the red route at dalby or skyline at afan…

GaryLake
    Free Member

Far too much bike for those examples. Actually slower than a 120mm/140mm bike if anything on the downhills too. If it's an Orange you're after you need to look at the Five/ST4…

goog
    Free Member

not really no

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

all day use is not its only use…id also like to use it on downhill trails etc…it would be a bike to do everything…im just unsure of how well it will do cross country in comparison to a lighter 6 inch bike

grumm
    Free Member

Not ridden at dalby or afan but most trail centres are pretty groomed so a Patriot would not really be that suited.

Something still quite slack-angled but shorter travel would probably be a good compromise, not sure what exactly though.

GaryLake
    Free Member

johny, ask yourself how often you're really going to go downhilling on it. And what types of course…

Things like Cwmcarn DH are supposedly perfectly doable on trail bikes and you've then not shafted all your other riding.

I've ridden around places like Afan with folk on Pats and it's murder for them. And then they're not even that quick when it points downhill, purely because the bonkers terrain and gradient isn't there for the bike to make any sense.

Drac

Friend uses one all day in the Lakes, Northumberland and in Alps. I've used a 7+ for all day use in the same areas and did so for about 2 maybe 3 years, slows you down a bit at first but once fitness adjusts then it's fine.

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah I certainly don't think it would be the end of the world, but personally I can't see the point just for trail centres.

My bike is heavy-ish, but I'm not too bothered about climbing quickly, it's mostly about the downs for me, and on steep-ish rocky stuff in the Lakes/Scotland I like having a big bike for that.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

cwm carn is quite a tame downhill tho? im thinking of propper downhill and during the summer it would be 50/50 almost… it would be used for the mega aswell…i recently had a g-spot nicked which im looking to replace. that was only 6 inches but was a very heavy biuld and after a days riding u felt pretty well travelled

druidh
    Free Member

Err – why did you bother asking the question in the first place? Seems like you're just coming up with dismissive responses to anyone who tells you it's not a great idea. Are you so insecure that you really need confirmation from STW?

EdwardH

I think the Patriot is a bloomin brill bike. Yes its a wee bit on the heafty side and can be slower than some shorter travel bikes as well as being a complete dog to grind up-hill (sometimes)

Mine is used for 20 odd mile trips towing a trailer with two kids and all the stuff they need to a full weekend at fort William doing the 4x, red and world cup tracks. It has been dragged to the top of Ben Nevis and hurtled down again, I have managed all day epics in the backwoods of BC and Alberta, to a quick spin round my home loop once the boys are in bed.

I love it and wont be parting with it (that is untill the new version is out)

furry_marmot
    Free Member

I had one of the very first Patriot 66s – bought it in April 2005. I still have it – in fact I rode it today. it is a truly amazing machine.

however, it is *not* an all-day bike. no bike with which you can comfortably race DH should be regarded as an all-day bike. the angles are way too slack, even if you play with the shock mount. Furthermore, if you've built the bike up to realise its downhill potential it's going to be much too heavy. Yes, it will just about go uphill, but it's Painful. Also, it's the sort of bike that likes to go very very fast. the wheelbase is pretty long, which can make it a bit of handful in tight sections and rather unstable at low speed. I don't know much about trail centres since I don't live in the UK, but from the videos I've seen a 66 would seem totally unsuitable.

either (a) get 2 bikes – a DH bike and a short-travel FS or hardtail, or (b) get a 6" bike which claims to do everything and be prepared for it to do everything in a rather mediocre fashion.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Dalby Red all day? Yes on a Patriot. Just over 2 hours on something suitable.

pantsonfire
    Free Member

I see a guy riding round Rivington on a Patriot66 and he is slower than cold treacle going up the climbs through the woods. I suppose you have to give him credit for not getting off and pushing but when he gets to the top he isnt that fast going down because he cant let it rip and build up speed. In my opinion if you want an Orange get a 5 much quicker going up and just as quick going down on 99% of British trails and 95% of Alpine trails to be honest

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

ok thanks for all the answers…gonna see what my options r when i get the insurence back.

Si
    Free Member

why not get a second shock for it? Swhat I do and is realtively similar to a five then

mark_b
    Free Member

I use mine for everything – from the alps to the canal tow path via the bmx track. Usually just with a 150mm single crown fork but now have a 170mm triple clamp for when i want to turn it into a 'proper' dh bike.

Seems fine on slow techy stuff to me (Stainburn mostly) and also capable of taking some massive hits if needed.

Would i buy another – possibly – although the newer Blood is certainly looking like a tempting alternative.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I managed to build up a 2004 6 inch Patriot to about 32lbs in the day.

I used it as a heavy duty trail bike since at the time I was breaking a fair amount of stuff. The frames aren't that heavy, but if you want to use it as a full DH machine its still going to be heavy due to the build.

Mine had 519's, 2.2 tyres, coil Van R and 125mm van r Forks with Hope M4's. The forks were too short to get the best from the frame on anything faintly resembling a downhill gradient but it did climb well as a result. If you're happy to accept slow, seated progression on ascents I think it'd be fine as an all-day bike.

Personally I'd go air front and rear to keep it perky enough for trail riding – perhaps some air lrics?

llama

I really like mine.

I ride it 'all day'. Its great for social rides if there is going to be some nice downhills. Trail centres, natural, whatever.

I wouldn't use it for racing or anything like that. Actually I have considered it, so maybe I would, depends on the course.

Built in a style of old / 2nd hand / cheap. Heavy but who cares. A little bit lighter than a G-Spot I guess.

But they don't make them any more. If you are talking new then I would buy alpine 160 no hesitation. I've a feeling the new patriot – if it ever arrives – will be a bit more again, and so a bit too much bike for me.

diplomatt
    Free Member

Owned a Patriot 66, now own an Alpine 160. Snapped the dropouts off the Patriot after 3.5 years of abuse as my one do-it-all bike. I was running a 200/57 shock rather than the stock 215/63 so that gave 160mm travel rather than 178 and found I was running it with the same angles as the non-adjustable Alpine 160.

It's a great all day bike if you want to spend all day riding good downhill trails and just need something to get you to the top in a steady fashion.

Built mine up pretty light with DHX Air shock, Van 36 fork, XTR crank and Stans Flow rims running tubeless but with Maxxis 2.5 DH UST tyres.

There won't be a massive difference weight-wise between a Patriot, Alpine 160 and a Five if built with the same kit.

GEDA
    Free Member

I think the balance of a patriot is downhill/trail. It was great in the Alps and for rocky rooty trails. Not so good on the flat but fine for going up hill. It does not have the spark to be fast on the flat. Putting 819 UST on mine made a world of difference to mine for speed.

I think I would get a five/Prophet if I had the money to buy from new. The patriot was bought as a "Will not break bike" which it has done very well at but I think I could go a bit lighter and still have a bike that does not break.

fozzybear
    Free Member

why not consider an orange alpine..

i peddled a demo rig up there ok would be fine for mega or mini DH days.
    12mm bolt though rear tough and light enough.

would be my choice over a 66

ianpv
    Free Member

I've got one and mainly ride it with a short air shock (190 * 50ish) giving 140mm of travel. It is my only mountain bike, so often gets ridden all day. You won't win races to the top of the hill, but are you racing? Also, I can bang in the coil shock for uplifts/alps etc. Shame they don't make them anymore, it is a very versatile frame. I'm running the bike very slack and low using the adjustable shock shuttle, and it is great fun. I'd be surprised if the frame without shock is more than a pound and a half heavier than a five.

molgrips
    Free Member

My Patriot 2007 (so not the 66 badge) is about 30.5lbs, and built up as much XC as I can without compromising it's ability on the way down (within the kind of riding I do!). It's a stock XC edition with the Marz 66 SL upgrade, so as follows:

XT with triple chainset, no bash ring
    Thomson s/post & stem
    Hussfelt bars
    Hope V2 brakes
    Hope hubs
    Sun Singletrack rims
    Kenda Nevegal 2.3s running tubeless
    Manitou X4 air shock

The tubeless I did because I thought the bike was a tad slow and it would help it roll better – and it did. I'm now quite happy to ride it all day. It obviously doesn't cover the ground as quickly as a 26lb Orange 5, but I choose it on rides where there are going to be big rocky descents. An adjustable fork is also key – I keep it at 160mm when riding normally which makes it trail friendly and keeps the centre of gravity low, but I can wind it out for big downhills. I tried moving the shock back to get steeper angles, but the COG was too high then. It was maybe best for singletrack when I put the shock in the SLACKER position and wound the fork down to compensate – low COG made it really manoeverable but even with the rate adjusted on the shock I kept hitting the pedals. Now I just run it with a bit more sag and it's sweet. Took a lot of fettling to get it to that point tho!

I also take it to Cwmcarn for the XC course since the extra travel allows you to really hammer the rocky stuff that much faster, and the wider bars, big tyres, good brakes etc do help you really pin the singletrack. I equalled my PB on it a while back at Cwmcarn and whilst I was fitter overall which is why I was quick, my time to the top of the climb was 2 mins slower and the time for the rest of the course was 2 mins quicker. so I wouldn't necessarily say it wasn't worth taking one to trail centres. For isntance I can also nail Brechfa green significantly faster on it than I can on my 5 but then again there's little climbing in it.

I'd say my Patriot is faster on anything other than road/fireroad or significant climbs. And definitely my most fun bike if I'm not racing up hills 🙂

ianpv
    Free Member

re: pedal strikes on Molgrips' bike, have you tried 170mm cranks? Makes a surprising difference…

molgrips
    Free Member

No, interesting idea but I probly won't splash out on cranks right now since I'm loving the bike anyway. Cept the forks perhaps.. not plush enough somehow, but forks for this bike are stupid money nowadays.

llama

The nice thing about a patriot at cwm carn is that its easily ridable to the top and then big enough to go really fast on the DH. Yes I know the DH is 'easy' but a patriot is going to me more capable on it that a 140mm slack trail bike whatever you say.

GEDA
    Free Member

So for grassy tracks and fire roads the answer would be no. Big ups and down with a bit of DH great. Mine is the only bike I have in the UK and over the cheviots it is a dog but peaks and DH type tracks it is great.

molgrips
    Free Member

+1 llama. You CAN ride it all fine on a 80mm XC race bike (I have) but it's about half the speed and 10% of the fun!

grantway
    Free Member

Try a Orange 5 AM or the Alpine 160
    Over taken many patriots on the ups and downs on my 5 AM
    Dont know when there releasing the new Patriot, was meant to be
    this year.

saxabar
    Free Member

I've owned a Patriot (7+) and now have a 160. The 160 has no right to climb as well as it does, given what it can do on the descents. It's an awesome bit of kit that will last me for many years. I can see why some would say it is overkill for the UK as it really comes alive when driven down rocky steep downhill runs. If you have a hardtail as well for pootling days out I'd say go for the 160.

mark_b
    Free Member

Over taken many patriots on the ups and downs on my 5 AM

Sometimes i ride my Patriot slowly, some times i ride it fast, some times i ride it on flat rides, other times i point it down the steepest track i can find.

Are there really people riding round tutting at me and thinking to themselves "what's he riding that big bike here for" ?!?! The mind boggles that they are so concerned about my choice of bike 😯

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

id like to get an alpine 160 as every1 suggests but i just cant afford one. :(…

DeeW
    Free Member

I've got a Patriot 66 with a Pushed DHX coil. Like Matt above its running a 200/57 shock giving 160mm travel. U-turn Lyrics on the front.

Love the bike: climbs fine: cranks up steep stuff pretty well. Got a fairly light build on it (about 34lbs) and don't really feel the weight. No noticeable pedal bob. Descends fantastic: holds a line really well, very plush and lots of 'feel' (could well be helped by the Push tuning).

Adjustable shock shuttle lets you adjust as suits. Mine is low and slack and corners great.

Had it about a year and a half, ridden a fair bit, and all winter long and bearings still perfect. Paint is good, and realy easy to care for (I've done no more than hose it down).

After all that I'm seriously thinking about getting a Remedy: love the look of the Remedy, enticed by the weight loss, and just ready for a change. Need to have a proper test ride on the Remedy first though 'cos I've got more than a nagging feeling that the Patriot is a better bike for me.

If your after a 16" 66 give me a shout: mine may be for sale….

DeeW
    Free Member

And BTW angles on my 160mm 66 are almost identical to Diplomatt's Alpine 160. My 66 HA is v.slightly slacker, BB v.slightly higher, seat angle noticeably slacker.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i might just do that at some point…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘patriot 66? a good all day bike?’ is closed to new replies.