Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • patio doors / french windows – pricing…
  • woffle
    Free Member

Can anyone in the know give me a rough cost of what we should be paying for patio doors – narrow but tall (1100 x 2200)? Prices / quotes so far range from £300 to £1600 which makes working out what's a reasonable median between quality of window / service and price a right pain in the harris. These quotes have been for upvc double glazed, full security fittings, decent energy rating etc and include fitting.

We're in Sussex. I'd prefer wood frames and doors but can't stretch to a joiner at the moment – we're going to be getting more windows / doors done when we extend in a year or two so likely as not these door's be replaced then.

I'm not sure I can sit through the whole 'this is a one-off discount bonus, wait whilst I phone my boss etc' schtick again…

ridingscared
    Free Member

I can highly recommend Kaybee doors. I bought a set of full height oak folding and sliding off them and they are superb.Don't entertain going to one of the natioanlly advertised window companies-they are total **** and make up the prices as they go.

Stoner
    Free Member

woffle, Im currently having 7+ french doors made for the barn by a local (Worcs) joiners. Here's cost breakdown for you:

Frame: European Oak – £1,032
    Frame: Idigbo – £622

Double glazed unit c.500mm x 1750mm, low-e glass, warm edge bar, toughened, argon filled: £42 each (so 2x for french pair)

Hardware (2x flush bolts, euro thumb turn, satin steel handles, BB hinges 3xpair) about £45

tony24
    Free Member

ill get a quote for you tomorrow if i can mate try and PM you. good quality PVC frame's you want them white or oak coloured? will be more exspensive for oak coloured…

woffle
    Free Member

tony – white. They'll be replaced with wood at a later date.

jwoffle [AT] googlemail DOTcom –

much appreciated.

stumpyjon

Have you considered composite doors, wood internal (already finished) and aluminium external powder coated to a colour of your choice, very nice, it's the way I'm going once the existing UPVC give up the ghost.

psling
    Free Member

I'd prefer wood frames and doors…

Can't help on price / supply in your area but you won't get sliding patio for that aperture width so realistically you're looking at French Doors or possibly a single door [which should be less expensive but takes up more space to open into].

woffle
    Free Member

Can't help on price / supply in your area but you won't get sliding patio for that aperture width so realistically you're looking at French Doors or possibly a single door [which should be less expensive but takes up more space to open into].

I know – french doors is the way it's going though we have had a folding single door suggested by one firm.

We've considered / looked at reclaimed wooden french windows with a top light (the room has a high ceiling). By the time we've got our chippie to do his stuff they're silly money – I would try and fit some myself but that's been vetoed 🙂 As mentioned we've an extension on the cards in a year or so so will be getting decent windows throughout the house (currently an odd mix of upvc of various vintages and some original lovely victorian sash windows) and these'll likely as not be replaced. Just can't justify £1000+ at the moment on.

Stoner
    Free Member

BTW – prices above arent fitted. Me/my mate are fitting and glazing ourselves.

melissa
    Free Member

Well Woffle, have you found the patio doors you were looking for? I recently moved into a new home which has a huge glass patio door and one of the first things I had to replace when renovating was the floor around the patio door as it was really discoloured and damaged. To prevent the situation from repeating, I had the door covered in some beautiful vertical blinds that allow an easy access to the door thanks to their easy maneuvering while still protecting the floor and furniture from the damaging effects of the sun. I just thought I should share this, maybe it will keep you from running into the same problem we had.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘patio doors / french windows – pricing…’ is closed to new replies.