• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Paternity leave
  • spacemonkey

With Zack's arrival only 5 or so weeks away, I need to work out how much time I'm going to take off.

Am I right in thinking the basic is two weeks at statutory pay? Either way, my boss owes me a good few bob and has now offered to give me a month off at full pay. However, I can see him using this as a lever against some of the outstanding money he'll still owe me (we're already going through contract wranglings).

So, what do you dads (and dads-to-be) make of paternity leave? How much time did you (or would you) take off?

Don't get me wrong – I'd love to take the time off and be at home and do all the fatherly things that need to be done, etc. Hence just wondering what you all think?

Cheers

MikeWW
    Free Member

Was there for the birth. Didn't take any time off after that.Having said that if mothers/mother in laws aren't about it's maybe a bit different

woody2000

Aye, 2 weeks is the "statutory" period. They don't have to pay you as such, just stat pat/mat pay. I took 3 weeks, 2 weeks pat leave + weeks hol. I'll be doing the same again next week 🙂

Your bosses offer sounds pretty good TBH

yamyamblade
    Free Member

2 weeks full pay last time, busy time with a balance of being daddy to new arrival v being a professional personal shopper so I would take the month off but agree on the cash owed as you will need every penny!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If you take your employer's offer make sure you have it in writing that this time off is in addition to anything owed to you.

But many people find that a couple of weeks getting to know the new arrival(s) is plenty, followed by another couple of weeks when they are a little older (say about 12 weeks).

But whatever you do, relax, go with the flow (and inevitable disruptions to your normal routines) and enjoy every minute of it.

Our girls are coming up 14 months and walking already but they are still newborns to me – the time literally flies by at an unprecedented rate.

rkk01
    Free Member

It's one of those things that Blair screwed up.

Good companies would give 1 week on full pay (but some gave nothing). Blair thought all companies should allow paternity leave, and stipulated 2 weeks – but unpaid.

Guess what many companies do now…

warton
    Free Member

I took three weeks off. 2 weeks Paternity at full pay and 1 week paid holiday. I don't know where you'd stand re him owing you money etc. Probably best to play it by the book if you think he's going to try and pull a fast one

spacemonkey

Good points – thanks. I had a feeling 2 weeks would be "sufficient" if you know what I mean, so the idea of taking another 2 nearer Christmas sounds just the ticket.

Plus, the in-laws have offered to come down whenever we feel is the "right "time. I guess anytime after the first couple of weeks is going to be the plan there.

Mister-P
    Free Member

That doesn't sound right rkk01. I had two weeks at statutory pay, about £100 a week I think it was. That was last July. I was glad of the two weeks, it flew by.

Just found this –

"Statutory Paternity Pay
    Statutory Paternity Pay is paid for up to two consecutive weeks, depending on how long you choose to take Statutory Paternity Leave for. The current weekly rate is £124.88 or 90 per cent of your average weekly earnings, if that is less"

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/Parentalleaveandpay/DG_10029398

steve-g
    Free Member

I got 3 days at full pay, then took a weeks holiday and was given 2 days for free by the boss as I came back after that rather than taking another week off through a busy period at work.

I don't know how others feel about this but you need a week or so to get the missus back on her feet, but after that if getting time off is going to be difficult save it up for once the littleun is 6 months or 9 months old. You wont be missing much in those first few weeks but once they start getting interesting it will be good to be there

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Spacemonkey – make sure you take full and complete advantage of the inlaws at every single opportunity – have them cook meals for you and bring them up, have them babysit so you can have even a couple of hours as a couple, they will enjoy being part of the new arrival so you may as well take advantage. 😉

Sounds like you have it all sorted anyway – I am sure you will have fun. (from a dad getting paternal urges for a third….)

rkk01
    Free Member

That doesn't sound right rkk01. I had two weeks at statutory pay, about £100 a week I think it was. That was last July. I was glad of the two weeks, it flew by.

Quite possibly – our firm offers full pay…

woody2000

Don't forget, you're also entitled to take 13 weeks of unpaid leave in the first 5 years of the child's life (per child).

More info

molgrips
    Free Member

Zack?

alfabus
    Free Member

Is naming babies (and broadcasting the names) before they are actually born a new thing?

My brother in law did this with his baby girl, and it made me feel uncomfortable… as soon as they knew the sex, the were referring to the bump by name and talking about future plans of when Lucy went to school etc.

Made me really uncomfortable, felt like tempting fate.

Is it just me?

Dave

ps best of luck with new baby.

spacemonkey

but once they start getting interesting it will be good to be there

My sentiments exactly. I've never been a "baby" person because I prefer "something" I can properly play with if you know what I mean.

@Woody2000: didn't realise that – will remember that in future.

@MF: they live 250 miles away so most (all?) visits are likely to be planned to some degree at least, hence taking advantage is going to be tricky.

StirlingCrispin

Please remember that timings can be subject to change.

Even if things go smoothly, as undoubtedly they will, it's not unusual for the mum to stay in hospital for a few days after the birth and often have mobility issues for a week or so afterwards.

I took four weeks off – and managed to get out on the bike the day Thump was born – and enjoyed every moment of it! (I also got made redundant the day Thump was born – but that's another story)

Good luck and enjoy!

spacemonkey

Is naming babies (and broadcasting the names) before they are actually born a new thing?

Can't say I've really thought about it in the past. Doesn't bother us though, but each to their own of course.

Drac

You can believe Rkk01 bull crap or you can find out for yourself.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/Parentalleaveandpay/DG_10029398

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Paternity leave’ is closed to new replies.