Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Patella Tendonitis…
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

…anyone on here suffered with it before? For the past 3 winters I’ve always got it for a few weeks as I transition from winter cross training / running / circuit training back into a cycling training programme. I’ve got it again this week, has also coincided with new SPD’s and new SPD shoes, have to admit that it’s more extreme and alot more restrictive this time though…

Any good solutions anyone has found? I’m resting the knee for a few days before getting back on the bike again and have been using ibuprofen gel at night which takes the pain away.

ianpv
    Free Member

time pedals, ice, friction massages and a foam roller to self massage legs (in particular quads and ITB) keep my pretty chronic patella tendonitis largely at bay. Had it really bad for a couple of seasons in the nineties and it has never gone away 100%, especially in winter (tried cortisone injections, all manner of physio, orthotics etc.)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’ve developed it somewhat this winter, provoked I think due to the effort of singlespeeding. Apart from going back to gears, I’m working on stretching for my calves, quads and hams. And taking Ibuprofen. We’ll see what the situation is at the weekend.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Cheers for replies, certainly v useful to hear other peoples experiences.

I’ve previously been lucky in that after about 3 weeks of seriously getting back into the biking schedule end of Jan / Feb time of the year it fades away and disappears for the rest of the year. Just slightly more concerned this time as my right leg was almost locked straight on Sunday due to the pain, I hadn’t been like that before. I’ve also been doing spinning sessions for the first time this winter, I was wondering if this might have been the cause. I usually spin a very high cadance on my bikes, however, spinning sessions have had me pushing very high load at slow cadance, not what I usually do… hmmm.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmmm maybe I shouldn’t ride this weekend.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I had it last year. I put some gears on my bike (just 9) and bought some time pedals. I went to a pysio. He gave me a few exercises. One of them was lying on the bed sideways and lift the leg up and down. Keep your leg straight, don’t let your hip move back. Another was to keep your back against a wall and standing on one leg lower yourself down and back up again. The PT went away and has not come back so far this year. It was a similar time last year when I had it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Patella Tendonitis…’ is closed to new replies.