Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • passportes du soleil. who was there?
  • toppers3933
    Free Member

ok so who went and how did you get on? started in chatel on saturday and it was ace. especially as i was on a bike that wasnt mine, which was kind of liberating.

Me too! 😀

Was I there with you?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yep started from Les Crosets on Saturday because we couldn't get in anywhere closer to civilisation!

It was 'pretty good'. They are making it more and more like a big XC loop; lot's a draggy fire road climbs and non-challenging descents. You have to know where to deviate and find the good bits like dropping onto the French National track into Lindaret, taking the alternative route to Les Gets and it's also worth doing the 'Assez Difficile' parts. The new tracks up behind the Chanvanne lift in Les Gets were quite fun. But they missed off the best bit of the route; the run from the top of the Chaux Rose lift all the way down into Chatel has always been excellent. This year the replacement was OK but rather monotonous; ohh, another 180 degree bermed turn, followed by, ooh, another 180 degree bermed turn……

The only bit we didn't get to ride was the 'Assez Difficille' bit into Champery. We missed that out simply by dropping back into Les Crosets after the Champoussin lift. We couldn't face any more road riding and there was another 8km of it before that one last decent section.

So what was it like?

In contrast, the riding in Chamonix the next day was the best I've ever done in 20 years of riding. Period.

snowslave

Yeah it was rubbish. Rain, mud, lifts keep failing so we rode a donkey up most climbs. Not. A great time was had

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I was there. Loved it. The biggest thing for me is that it's absolute EPIC value for €40! I doubt the UK could come close for the money, even if you take the mountains and lifts out of the equation! 😀

forge197
    Free Member

I was there also think good value and free lift pass on another day, have unfinished business as cramp got the better of me 30 miles in and called for rescue in Avioraz, will do it again though as I need to do the whole thing, it's more akin to XC though and there were some climbs going on but good atmosphere, nicely run event.

This has been followed by some of the best riding I've done, the DH bike has come into it's own as we headed out to Pila yesterday and today just mucking about on the runs in Chatel. The speed and handling of the DH bike next to my trail bike is just incredible so pleased I bought one.

Off on an all day ride tomorrow with a guide should be heading out to Switzerland and back in again.

Happy Days just a shame heading home soon 😥 But at least two more days riding to go. 🙂 and some stuff to learn for next time.

If anyone is about we are at the Le Sherpa tonight for bring your meat night 🙂

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I was there, amazing event, amazing weather, and great fun…. even though I was spent at the end of the day.

nickf
    Free Member

Loved it, but riding a DH bike with silly high gearing took it out of me. Some of the descents were very tame, but I'll know for next time where the more fun bits were.

Wolfdog
    Free Member

sure was fun. Agree riding a DH bike was tough but the downs were great.
    You need an XC bike as well if your going there for more than just the event

Pete
    Free Member

I was there, good day but the road climbs were hard work.

Next year it will be over 3 days

hora
    Free Member

Road climbs?
    More road riding?

Hmmmm

GEDA
    Free Member

The descent down into champery red is ace. You missed out. 🙂 starts off rooty and steep then turns into and beautifull singletrack that hangs off the side of the mountain through beautiful forest. Felt sorry for the people on dh bikes. Took à nice back way to return to morzine. Flights cancelled on thursday so we had to drive. Did some other epic trails.

smogmonster

How does the PdS work? Is it just a one day thing? Where do you start from?

dasnut
    Free Member

4th time for me, this year on a zesty (on which the forks are completely busted now)
    ace day out as usual, if you know the area you can add as much downhill track as you like (les crosets, pleney etc.)
    the roads in switzerland were fine this year (lighter bike and xen helmet helped)
    a friend and I had an amazing race down to morzine with a french kid on a dh bike, high 5s all around when we got to the bottom 🙂
    i'll be back next year, but then again I live an hour and a half from Chatel now 😉

torgonabike enduro <link> anyone?

I was there. Was ace. The down hills were plenty good enough for me including the red run down to Champery, which had a very UK feel to it but much much longer

addy6402

Was there with 7 others. Stayed in Morzine at a luxury catered chalet with hot tub 😆

A good day out, nothing too hardcore about it but taking the DH options where you can such as at Le Lindarets = good fun.

Lots of exploring still to do next time…

dasnut
    Free Member

geetee, you could have descended through the chatel bike park anyway you wanted
    personally, I like serpentine, great to race friends down, taking different lines in those big corners you mention.
    the bottom bit was a little muddy, and I was a little tired by then, but all good.
    the champery red was up there as the best bit of the day, nearly came flying off on the dusty rooty corners more than once 🙂

as for the course, it hasn't changed much over the years – don't forget who it is amied at….EVERYONE (mountain biking is inclusive in France) – not just gnarlcore UK riders on their Oranges 5s

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How does the PdS work? Is it just a one day thing? Where do you start from?

It's a 2 day event. You do whichever day is best for you. The course goes through several towns which have start points. Again, choose a start point that you like, start there, and finish there. Simples! 🙂

snowslave

This year some of the guys we were with spent some time sussing out alternatives to some of the more pointless fire road climbs/descents and I think that was a good plan.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

best year so far for me.

The Cotic BFe was amazing and performed much better than I could have hoped for!

GEDA – stick up some pics on here mate of the big vista off piste stuff!

Much more XC this year on the route.

We started away from Morzine and it was the best idea as you avoid that whole pinch point,

Seemed very very quiet though!

stunning weather.

toppers3933
    Free Member

singletrackbikes.co.uk yeah i was there with you. top drawer weekend i recon. especially as i didnt touch my wallet once. massive thanks to commencal.

smiffkin

I was there! Started from Les Gets. I really enjoyed the descent into Morzine (going back towards Les Gets). Was it me, or did the Swiss part of the ride seem a bit less interesting technically than the French bit?

toppers3933
    Free Member

the funniest part of the whole day was watching xc types sliding down a muddy section on their arses on the gr5 descent into les linderets. just blasted past them laughing hard. would have been harder to walk it than ride it. had a proper sense of humour failure on the fireroad back to chatel. that wasnt even remotely funny.

GEDA
    Free Member

The funniest part of the whole day was watching all the folks on big bouncers riding around the course at one mile an hour sweating their arses off. Well not really I felt a bit sorry for them as most of the trails were not that technical.Will find some photos.

Did some cool off piste stuff from super steep switch backs, getting attacked by a polar bear like mountain dog to wicked single track.

snowslave

GEDA – my thoughts too. It's a 90km xc lift assisted ride, with the emphasis on friendliness and fun. It's not a timed race or gnarrcore, nor does it pretend to be, so why anyone'd want to drag a tank around the course whilst wearing full body armour is completely beyond me.

GEDA
    Free Member

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just wondering if anybody remembers seeing us lot…. 8)

😯
    :mrgreen:

Olderthandirt
    Free Member

Think I vaguely remember seeing you at one point. I think it was in Morzine and thought you must be part of the cheesey entertainment after the dancing brass band 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yep. That sounds about right! 😀

nickc

Guy on the far right looks happy to be there

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Guy on the far right looks happy to be there

Sorry. That's me. Dunno what happened there, but we took a lot of pics there, I might be bored! 😉

hora
    Free Member

LOVING THE SHIRTS! 😀

Jamie
    Free Member

Guy second from the right looks like he only has a pair of forks and some handlebars.

hora
    Free Member

I bet….

the hills were alive….with the sound of ….screaming disc brakes!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

screaming disc brakes!

Only Jon's Hopes. XTs and Maguras are silent…. 8)

vinnyeh

Looks thoroughly lovely, would love to do this, a load more enjoyable for me than the mega I imagine. Shirts are a nice touch.

toppers3933
    Free Member

did the whole lot on a 2011 commencal atherton rep dh bike and it was ace. absolutely the wrong bike for it, but after a while that became part of the fun. made getting to the end feel quite sweet. 😯

DrP

Poddy's from up north – he only smiled when it rained, and when Andy got the coal for the BBQ out…..

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You forgot the food stops….. 8)

Walker
    Free Member

I remember seeing you lot at for grub stop on sunday! 😮

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘passportes du soleil. who was there?’ is closed to new replies.