Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Passportes du Soleil – options, advice and experience please
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I'm thinking about making PdS my first venture to the alps. I'm also hoping I can rope in a couple of mates too.

So far

Manc to Geneva return (inc bike) – £110 each
    Geneva to Aigle (Champery) return – £21
    PdS entrance fee – £34 each
    Accomm. – £150 tops.

Does that seem about right? Have I missed anything? £315 in total ex food and beer. Is it just as easy/cheap/better to stay at Chatel?

Also found cheap accomm in Morzine and Chamonix. Is it easy and cheap to get from these places to PdS start points?

options, advice and experience please.

Thank you

bintangman
    Free Member

thats about right – our chalet came to about £45 pp for 3 ngts, but that was for about 10 people and before the £ wasn't devalued. We did two days as well on the route, which was well worth it. Wherever you stay in Morzine you won't be too far from the lifts. We stayed in Morgins which was probably cheaper than other places but a bit quierter(in the evenings and starting on the lifts).

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Cheers! The cost is based on Fri to Mon and for 3 of us. Does the PdS entrance fee include lift passes for the area or just thhe start points? Can you ride both days?

Morzine isn't one of the start points this year so would need to get to the nearest one.

Andy

Cheers! The cost is based on Fri to Mon and for 3 of us. Does the PdS entrance fee include lift passes for the area or just thhe start points? Can you ride both days?

Includes lift pass for day and all food at the stations. Also includes a free lift pass for a second day so if you start on Sat you can use the lift pass on Sunday

Morzine isn't one of the start points this year so would need to get to the nearest one.

yes it is!

Morzine OK to start but be dead early ( before 8 am), so you can pick up your pass, number and goody bag and avoid a lift queue, have a coffee in the queue!

nedoverendsmole
    Free Member

If you stay in Morzine, be wary of drinking more than 3 Mutzig old lagers and beware of bike thieves

higgo
    Free Member

I'm thinking about making PdS my first venture to the Alps.

I've done it and enjoyed it but I've also (another year) been there the weekend after Passportes. Personally I preferred that.

The advantages of Passportes are really just the food stops in the towns and the feeling that you're participating in an event. Downsides are lift queues and congested trails.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Good point. I think it would be a good budget experience but lift queues, congested trails and bike thefts doesn't sound appealing. I can get that at a trail centre (swap lift queue for cafe queue).

In comparison with the PdS entrance fee, free food, w/e lift pass and waymarked trails (I presume) how does going alone compare from a cost and riding perspective?

How much would a lift pass be for the weekend usually?

Basically I want an alps experience this year or at least somewhere with dry dusty trails (or potential of) that won't break the bank and won't cost me too many days hols.

UK-FLATLANDER

Usually a good idea to have some MTB specific travel insurance. It can get very epensive if they need to evacuate you from the hill side,

woodsman
    Free Member

Are transfers with bikes easy to find from Geneva to Les Gets/Morzine – does anybody know?

I should imagine a cab pricey!?

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I thought the trains and buses offer (or have space) for bikes??

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Lift pass for a whole week is normally about £40.
    Woodsman transfers are EASY to get from Geneva to Morzine however you need a group of you really as they have a minimum price. Last year I e-mailed lots of different transfer companies and they are all the same. Here's the details of who we used before which are ok:
    http://www.actiontransfer.com

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Passportes du Soleil – options, advice and experience please’ is closed to new replies.