Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Passportes du soleil 2014….
  • weeksy

Looking into this and debating doing it slightly differently this time,
    flying to Geneva instead and staying only a few days. It’s very possible I may be on my own…

So… need a few ideas and links/companies.

1. Transportation to/from Geneva to Morzine
    2. Best of bike hire in Morzine
    3. Cheap and reasonable accommodation ideas.

thanks 🙂

weeksy

Well, I’ve now booked the flights and emailed about 10 companies for accommodation and bikes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Les Gets. We use these guys for accommodation and transfers, both excellent. My mate rented a bike from a shop near the lifts, there where quite a few options in the town – Blue Ridge can help you out. When we last did the PdS there where single riders staying in the chalet too, so quite easy to hook up with others.

Ski Blue Ridge

I think Les Gets is an excellent base for your trip as local riding is good (IMO better than Morzine) as a warm up day and there are a few interesting possibilities away from bike park trails like Les Gets / Samoens (@weeksy I lost your email but I have a map I can send you). You can roll down the road into Morzine if you want quick access into the rest of the PdS network.

weeksy

Thanks buddy…

I think we’re decided on http://www.morzine-mtb.com/the-lodge-morzine

Sorted and booked LOL…. Own apt, laundry, sauna, jacuzzi, beers…. what’s not to like.

We’ve also ordered a pair of Scott Genius LT30 which funnily enough I was looking at yesterday on Pauls Cycles
    SCOTT GENIUS LT 30 2012 :: £2049.99 :: Mountain Bikes :: Full Suspension :: Pauls Cycles

Frame
    Genius LT Alloy 6061
    Hydroformed custom butted
    taperd HT / IDS SL 12x142mm Dropout
    BB height adjustable
    ISCG05 / 185mm rear travel
    Rear Shock: Scott Equalizer 3
    3 Modus / Lockout-Traction-Full travel
    sag indicator / dual reb. Adj. Scott Twinloc Remote Lever / front &
    rear lockout activate by one lever
    Travel adjust: Lockout – 110 – 185mm

Forks
    Rock Shox Lyrik RLR / Scott Custom
    Air / Remote Lockout / Tapered steerer
    IS Rebound adj. / 20mm Maxle
    2 position Air Travel adj 180- 140mm
    Remote System:

Airport transfers booked… PDS entry organised (hopefully, they will confirm later).

So, we’re all sorted… just turn up… ride…. drink… eat… come home 🙂

I just need to break the £$£$£$£ to Crust now 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

No problem. That Scott looks a bit more DH than AM (although travel adjust), you’ve done the event before so you’ll know there’s a fair bit of pedalling.

I think the hotels etc can confirm PDS entries even though official entry opening date is early Feb

Email me (profile) if you want map and/or some ideas for places to practice a little before you go out there.

Have a great time.

JEngledow
    Free Member

I’ve used Ski Lifts twice between Geneva airport and Morzine (once with bike and once without) and I’ve had very good service. Last time the driver even dropped me off at the bar where my mates were drinking! I found that quite a few of the transfer companies work together during the summer and so you may book with one company, but are actually transferred by another, especially early/late in the season when it’s a little quieter!

EDIT: Too late!

atlaz
    Free Member

PDS entries are open or are you getting them through a travel/accommodation deal?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@atlaz – it will be through the accommodation (they can get tickets in advance/reserved) – public sale is always in Feb – same in 2014, Feb 12 at 10am French time – it’s a total bun fight on the launch day for tickets at popular spots like Morzine and Les Gets for Sat, Fri and Sun a little easier. You can get entries quite late into the year if you are prepared to start from a smaller Swiss resort on Fri or Sunday

Passportes entry date

jambalaya
    Free Member

Roundup video from 2013

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kt06SgoOvw&noredirect=1[/video]

weeksy

I’m very excited now !

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’d fly and hire, but I’m not keen on riding bikes I’m not used to and more that I haven’t maintained myself. At least I know when my bike falls apart it’s my fault and I know what’s wrong with it 😀

Plus French hire would have brakes on the wrong side? Though assume you can get them to swap them over.

weeksy

of course Kenny, already requested,

weeksy

If anyone has any GPX/Garmin compatible files for me to steal that would be very much appreciated.

deadkenny
    Free Member

You looking for a route other than the official route? As the main one is fairly well signposted. I’ve got last year’s effort on Strava but we didn’t do the whole thing.

weeksy

Yes, other than the official. I’ve done the official, we’ll be doing that on one day also, then bike parks on one of the other days most likely, but day 3 we’d like a nice 40-50km XC type route.

Jambalaya has given one, but it’s a map rather than a file… i’m crap with maps LOL.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@weeksy you have 6 months to practice maps ! Samoens is definitely worth figuring out and someone here may have a gpx. Sent you some other gpx 8)

Video from fellow STWer, did I mention you should learn to read a map.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw6xMZ2bybU&list=UURVcV5OK-qOJaVwk1yJIDdw[/video]

weeksy

my riding buddy can do maps… i’ll borrow a mates Garmin 🙂

thanks for the mail mate, you’re a star !

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

When the entries open can you enter as a group or is it done as individuals?

We are planning a group of 4…..will we all have to apply separately??

Is it all online OR can you call up to apply?

Cheers for any advice / tips

Mark

weeksy

All in one go, but takes longer so may crash more, the opening few hours the website goes very very wrong, crashes, timeouts etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@handy – one person can apply but needs all the dates of birth, nationality and possibly other info (I don’t recall) – check website. Whoever volunteers is going to have a bit of a nightmare as per @weeksy

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

OK – great info – Ta…..as that someone will be me 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

@handy – actually info is on the link I gave above and you have to do it online

Voici les éléments dont vous aurez besoin lors de votre inscription : // here is the stuff you need for your registration
    – Jour de départ / Station de départ // day (Fri, Sat or Sun) and where you want to start from
    – Nom // lastname
    – Prénom //first name
    – Date de naissance // date of birth
    – Nationalité // nationality (your race number has your national flag on it)
    – Adresse // obvious
    – E-mail (same address for all if you wish but they send out info so perhaps separate)
    – Téléphone // mobile you’ll have on the day in case of emergencies

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Yep – took advice already and got the info and emailed the guys for there ‘stats’ 😀

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Bit more PdS advice please…..

So if we do the Friday then the ‘free’ uplift day is only valid from the Monday……..are the lifts open for non PdS activity on the Saturday and Sunday and if so does anyone no a rough price for a one or two day pass??

Cheers
    Mark

handybendyhendo
    Free Member
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Passportes du soleil 2014….’ is closed to new replies.