Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pass'portes du Soleil 2011
  • andydevil
    Free Member

Has anyone done this before ? Would a relative novice, 2 years riding, be able to cope ? Am I correct in assuming that although the event is scheduled for 3 days in June you would actually complete the course in a day and enjoy the ‘apres mtb’ for the other 2 ?

Any other insights would be really useful.

Cheers

Ambrose

Andy- I yearned to do the event for years and finally was given unpaid leave from work last year and had what was probably the best MTB weekend of my life. I have ridden in the PdS for years, and the PPdS was magnificent. It is a single day ride, with a variety of routes/ shortcuts/ choices to be followed. The route follows a series of well established trails, mostly ranging up to UK ‘blue’ standard I suppose, but with the very occasional surprise thrown in- but never too nasty.

It is definately NOT all downhill. The temperature was 30 degrees plus when I rode it last year and the long forest climb up to the Chatel lunch stop (we started in Les Gets) was a bit wearing to say the least. And once in the full sun a lot of people seemed to just melt in the heat.

You are right to think that you get a day of ‘event’ and then get to do your own thing. But you could always do the event twice! It is approx 80- 90 km depending upon your route. I suggest that you buy your lift pass for the non-event day(s) with a mind to where you want to ride. PDS is a vast area.

Book flights etc asap once your place is reserved.

Accommodation; remember that it is downhill to Morzine, but if you miss the last lift it is uphill to Avoriaz, Linderets and Les Gets, possibly worth bearing in mind if anyone in your party likes to ‘appreciate the scenery’.

And I am so jealous!- but I’ll be there again a month after you. But the snow will be gone by then I suppose 🙁

andydevil
    Free Member

Cheers Ambrose, a great insight.

Would you be able to recommend a suitable place to stay ? Hotel, chalet etc…

Also did you take your own bike ?

Cheers

Andy

binners

Its an absolute scream. You’ll love it!!!

We did it last year. We got there two days before the event and spent two fantastic days hooning around the downhill courses before collapsing into the welcoming arms of Morzine’s bars of an evening.

The full days riding is a lot more XC and not so mental but it was a right old laugh. The French take it all very seriously. Particularly the food stops where they gleefully hand you a glass of red to go with your cheese, cooked meats and soup.

Everyone doing it seemed to be English. I bet that back home the nation was baffled as to the sudden disappearance of all the bald, fat middle-aged blokes 🙂

I’m also really really jealous as I can’ do it this year. I couldn’t recommend it highly enough. Its ace!!!!

igm

Booked. Les Gets start on Friday.

nacourt
    Free Member

My brother-in-law lives in the Alps and drew my attention to this last year and how quickly you need to get tickets. Les Gets and Morzine Saturday tickets went in 10 mins on day 1. So we have 4 Lindarets Sat tickets. Just fine. Still some Friday and Sunday ones left French side, and Swiss side Saturday ones. SO, GET YOUR SKATES ON.

Dead excited be finally doing this!

Cheers

Nick

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pass'portes du Soleil 2011’ is closed to new replies.