Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Passat 2006 2.0 TDI cam belt
  • molgrips
    Free Member

It's the BKP engine, last of the PD ones I think. Reasonable job for DIY? I've done them on older cars (without AC) with the proper alignment tools, wasn't too bad. But then I know some cars require the removal of half the car and engine…

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Looks doable to me, but I'd never attempt it. What milage are you getting it done at. Service book says 80K, dealer says 60K or 5 years, my car is 5.5 years and 46K…?

takisawa2

Not sure if it applies to the Passat, (sure I've read somewhere that its all the VW TDi engines), but people on the Ford Galaxy Owners Club rave about Stafford Audi's £249 deal for a new belt & tensioners. The chap who looks after the Tech forum is actually a technician there, & a really top bloke.

CLICK

Not sure what the parts cost but might be worth a look.

molgrips
    Free Member

Er, I think it was 80k or 4 years, according to the dealer (who incidentally have an offer on for £300 or £350 I forget which – which seemed reasonable).

Car is 60k but 4 years old.

I'll gladly attempt it if the tools can be had for £15 on ebay and you don't have to do anything drastic to do the work. Like remove an engine mount or whatever.

mk1fan
    Free Member

If it's the same process as the mkiv Golf/Bora then supporting the engine whilst the side engine mount is removed is the hardest part for the DIYer.

Sure there will be a 'How To' guide on one of the many enthusiast forums. Or you could buy a Haynes manual.

Oh and do renew the stretch bolts when re-fitting the engine mount. If you don't and the engine drops it's a touch inconvenient.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Despite buying a lovely 150 piece toolkit last week, I would NOT attempt that! Get it wrong and engine death follows.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don't know if it's the same as the older Passats. No Haynes manuals.

I have done two cambelts – one with the proper tools, and one without. Both were fine.

When you do it, you turn the engine over by hand first through two complete revs, to check that the valves aren't going to hit the pistons. If they're all clear, but you've still got it wrong, then it just won't start.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Like has been said, its lift/tilt engine and or bumper off etc etc etc. To be honest I have mine done at main dealers despite the car being a 1998 model as you get a two year parts and labour guarantee so if your belt goes pop you have some comeback.
    Oh and its £100 well spent on no stress and loss of knuckles…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Passat 2006 2.0 TDI cam belt’ is closed to new replies.