Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Party games for 6 year olds
  • rthomas17
    Free Member

Got my boy’s 6th birthday party on Sun. Decided to do-it-ourselves at home – so I have 8 boys to entertain for a couple of hours. Need to prepare like I’ve never prepared before – any hesitiation in the flow of “fun” or hint of weakness in authority could result in my house being trashed, and possible trip to the hospital.

I have the old favourites of lucky dip, charades, pin the tail and pass the balloon on the list so far, but I’d love to hear some other ideas.

wwaswas

well that’s 4 minutes taken care of…

Jamie
    Free Member

Xbox Kinect.

rthomas17
    Free Member

yeah – that’s the problem. I could split them into 2 teams of 4, and put them in the garden for no-rules tag-team wrestling.

wwaswas

some sort of ‘build an x’ activity – yuou need somethign they can do without ahuge amount of adult involvement at every stage but that takjes time – somethign with lots of colouring in, maybe + they end up with soemthign to take home at the end.

maybe fimo or somesuch?

rthomas17
    Free Member

yeah – a crafty thing might work. your right – it’s all about burning up time and getting through it! Haven’t got an xbox, only an old ps2 with guitar heroes and one guitar.

rthomas17
    Free Member

midlifecrashes

Musical statues, simon says, balloon passing games, pass the parcel, musical bumps, not quite a game but letting them put icing and sprinles/sweets/marshmallows on their own bun/biscuit goes down well and soaks up a fair bit of time. Not too late to book a bouncy castle, or could you set up a goal and have a penalty comp with an adult in goal?

midlifecrashes

Hang on, this is STW, not mumsnet!

Junior Kickstart!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c53dCi-AM0Y[/video]

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Fuzzy Duck

2tyred

I had the same idiotic idea for my son’s 6th birthday party.

8 boys, two hours, a load of old-school party food. This’ll be a great laugh I thought.

They had no interest in organised games whatsoever. You need girls for that.

When we went outside to play tig, hide and seek and British bulldog (I know, I know) I spent the whole time stopping them from swinging garden implements at each other and trying to prevent one kid in particular from repeatedly hoofing me in the balls.

Our house has a vulgar big conservatory with a couple of big sofas in it, so I ended up getting Mrs Tyred to clear anything breakable out of there, then just took them inside for a mass cushion fight/wrestling match. They just wanted to fight me. Once we were doing that, and we’d established what was OK and what wasn’t, it was fine. Boys of that age have a stupid amount of testosterone, and its worse when a bunch of them get together.

No way would I do that again!

wwaswas

They just wanted to fight me

this it’ll be an afternoon of ‘attack the alpha male’ if you’re not very careful.

is there a park near you?

jon1973
    Free Member

Can’t you just take ’em down Maccy D’s for a couple of hours?

woody2000

Ben 10 on repeat & load em up with fizzy drinks+sweets. Job done? 😀

Any woods or owt nearby where they can have a run around?

Cougar

Get a catering pack of Haribo and eight Nerf machine guns. Retire to minimum safe distance.

yossarian
    Free Member

xbox
    bulldog
    fighting with sticks
    meat
    shouting
    stair surfing
    making fire

Gunz
    Free Member

We’ve always done the kids’ parties at home and they look forward to ‘Dad behaving like an idiot’. The trick is to not let up for a second and be as enthusiastic as Timmy Mallet on speed. The whole idea of just occupying them with something won’t wash, you have to get stuck right in and expect to be utterly frazzled by the end of it.
    One of my favourite activities is to set up an assault course in the garden using chairs and tables etc (doesn’t matter if the weather is rubbish, just lead by example). Also, hide and seek, who can shout the loudest (I win), running around popping all the balloons, gun fights, best air guitar – then feed them loads of sugar and do it all over again!!

wwaswas

this is the sort of impact you should be aiming for;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsvAj6qfmFQ[/video]

rthomas17
    Free Member

hmmm, on reading the above, maybe it’s not too late to book a party venue.
    No, I’m determined to see it through. I could put all the furniture in a locked room and let them have the run of the house. Allowing stair surfing with nerf guns could make me dad of the year, but not sure my insurance is up to it.

ericemel
    Free Member

Pinata! Nothing like whacking a donkey with a stick

wwaswas

we did quite a few parties at home, they’re fine.

As Gunz says – you just have to be prepared to throw yourself at it.

My wife is a primary teacher so has ‘The Voice’ needed to quell a room full of over-excited 6 year old boys..

oh, and if you get one of those mexican ‘hit the paper creature with a stick and get sweet things’ make sure that the child doing the hitting is in a room (if not building) on their own when they start swinging. I’ve still got the scars from standing within 8 feet of a child swinging a 3 ft club.

robbo
    Free Member

The best party I ever did was a Snail Party. Find your snail in the garden. Decorate it with paint. Then race them on a white board with lettuce as incentive and lanes. Video the race as well. Then for tea eat them (well not the garden ones because they need a few days in a bucket to get clean so buy some). Try other nasty stuff to eat as well – pickled eggs caused some sickness and jellied eels would go down well.

No running around but definite boy stuff.

rthomas17
    Free Member

**** PARTY UPDATE ****

Managed to survive the party – just. Techinques – shouting a lot, abandoning games as soon as “the mood changed” from excitement to boardom, and shoving mini sausages down them. Get more than 3 6year old boys together in one room and they turn into manic-depressives on a coctail of speed/downers/acid. Next year will involve fewer people in an external party venue where someone else has to entertain them – lesson learnt!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Party games for 6 year olds’ is closed to new replies.