Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Parts washer recommendations please
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Was invited to use the backstage parts washer at my LBS the other day and ‘omg’, in less than 60secs my cranks were as new.

I can only imagine the fun I’d have, stripping my bikes down, scrubbing their little dirty parts, reassembling, etc.

So, this one was bright red, has a nice nozzle with scrubbing brush and I assume used a solution of some kind of cleaning fluid with a filter to catch the grime.
    Machinemart are offering a similar looking jobbie for around £97, other recommendations would be welcomed though. Especially on sourcing cleaning solutions.

tazzymtb

Kitchen sink and something like swafeger jizer bio* oh and an understanding partner. 😀

*its still bloody aggressive and you dont want to get the neat soltuion on skin or in your eyes, stay away from the heavy solvent based stuff as depending on the solvent you can have all sorts of toxicological issues and exposure pathways and some will happily break through nitrile gloves in a matter of seconds and then you have a lovely dermal absorption route.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Nitrile gloves are not appropriate PPE for these things

Goggles face shield and heavy duty gauntlets for any solvent worth using when you see the MSDS.

jimplops

Dishwasher

tazzymtb

totally agree trail rat, but guess how may home mechanics with a parts wash machine will
    A: have access to REACH compliant SDS
    B: read it
    C: just go “F-it It’ll be reet”
    D: complain about the “nanny state” or how rubbish modern stuff is, it was much better when you use DCM or MEK 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

Unfortunately I have one in the workshop at work. I need to be MSDS complient and enforce it….. And I’m The bad cop for that apparently….

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

How about an ultrasonic washer.? You can get them in various sizes for a similar price but without the concerns of solvents and horrible what-nots ruining your lovely soft hands and going down the drain thereby provoking a visit from the council.!!

#EDIT : Something along the lines of this.. Been considering one myself for a while but haven’t taken the plunge yet..

Amazon for Ultrasonic cleaner

jimdubleyou

I’ve fancied an ultrasonic cleaner for a while.

This one
    http://www.bestultrasonic.co.uk/ultrasonic-carburettor-cleaner—digital-professional-3-ltr-290-p.asp

appears to be the same as a the Draper one from machine mart, except £100 cheaper…

konanige

Galvanised steel bucket, gallon of unleaded poured in, quick splash and brush whilst smoking a rollie then burn off any excess and waste material.

simondbarnes
    trail_rat
    Free Member

I have an Ultrasonic cleaner at-home.

Great for decoking injector nozzles and seats with seafoam

Pish for chain gunge. The degreaser in a bucket with a pump are better.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Parts washer recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.