Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Part timers.
  • sherpa87
    Free Member

My riding time has dwindled this year and I didn’t ride at all between May and October. I have managed 1000 miles and when I look through them most are what you could say are local training miles. I’m aiming to cut these out and just ride when I feel like which could be twice a month. I work 9-5 and have a young family who strangley enough I enjoy spending my weekends with. Does anyone just ride from time to time and manage to get by fitness wise or do you struggle. I’m going to use the gym aswel year round as I can go after I’ve tucked the kids up. I’ll be aiming for trail centers until summer at which time I’ll be looking at stuff in the lakes and such aswel. I’m talking mountain biking aswel if that makes any difference.

eulach

I started to commute by bike 2 or 3 days a week so I could retain my fitness and enjoy the off road stuff at the weekends. I’m now fitter and faster than before.

tom200

I’m in pretty much the same boat OP. Added to that I’ve been ill for a couple of months so only done 2 rides since September, the ride today was the first for 2 months.

I was so slow it was pathetic, 4 minutes of my usual time up a mile long climb.

I’ve got a turbo but can’t bear more than 15min, once I’m out it usually fine, but I struggle with motivation to get out of the door on a cold dark night after 13 hours at work.

nwill1
    Free Member

I’m in a similar boat…just ride when I can try 2 to 3 rides a month, can fit more in in the summer with the longer days. I’m well unfit but I just love ridding my bike so do it when I can!

robdob
    Free Member

I am the same, I just pack the bike away safely and don’t worry about it. I’ve been riding since 1987 so you’ll always have your ups and downs. I can’t ever imagine having any other hobby than cycling though.

crosshair
    Free Member

If you’re not racing then does it matter? Slower = more time to savour being out 😉

I think the family time thing is a balancing act only you and your family can resolve. I’m lucky in that I can structure my working week to see a lot of my 20 month old son so I don’t feel bad for missing a few bath times or Sunday’s.
    I try and remind myself that it’s not just about ‘being there’, it’s also about inspiring them with a passion for doing stuff 🙂

chestrockwell

My boy’s coming up to one year old and has (happily) taken up most of my time this year so riding time has been limited. I hope to get out more next year but life doesn’t half get in the way atm.

fasthaggis

OP
    Depends how much it matters to you.
    If you want/like it enough then you find ways to fit it in.

asbrooks

I’m the same..However this year I hurt my back and was off the bike for about 3 months. When I did get back, I had an off and hurt one of my knees. Not bad, but knocked my confidence. I’m just about getting back to where I was at the start of the year.
    The guys I ride with are all fitter, faster and younger than me, I just get used to bringing up the rear. Although, they don’t have to wait so long these days.
    I don’t really care too much, I just enjoy the moment..

sherpa87
    Free Member

Glad to see so many people in a similar boat. To be honest I could ride most nights but I don’t enjoy night rides and it sort of kills my passion in that I forget I’m supposed to ride for fun. I find that I love spending weekends with the kids. I’ve got two boys two and five so that’s where we have what you’d call ‘quality time’ thankfully they enjoy building dens in the woods as much as me. It’s like being a kid again myself. I love mountain biking though and the aim is to just ride a few times a month but make sure they are purely just fun. In the summer I’ll naturally ride more from having more daylight. I just fell into the habit of thinking I had to stay fit but as I just ride for fun I can’t really understand why I feel such a need. I agree with the turbo point. I can get to the gym a few nights a week which should keep me ticking over. Cheers for the replies feeling re assured

PMK2060

I rarely get out on a weekend due to family commitments but do plenty of commuting and night riding. I don’t enjoy it when unfit – too much of a struggle

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Genuine question – if you can make time for the gym why can’t you go riding instead?

sherpa87
    Free Member

I could ride if I wanted. I just don’t enjoy riding at night, if I’m honest I never have. I’d probably just say it’s not for me. I want to try and keep riding as fun and training for the gym. Had a full summer off riding as I lost my mojo through riding at night all last winter just to be fit for summer, the irony!

garage-dweller

Op I do just this. I ride once a week most weeks in the evening. I manage a bearable level of fitness but could really do with doing more. I usually walk about 45 minutes a day as part of my commute and charge around with the kids all weekend. It’s not enough to improve my fitness but just enough to maintain what I have. If my ride to work wasnt 16 miles of endless traffic lights and southern drivers I would do a day a week on the bike but it’s too miserable a ride.

takisawa2

Try running, takes a bit of getting used to but bang for buck, a 30 min run is as good as a decent bike ride.
    No bike to clean down etc.
    It’s not that bad.

Same here though, boys aged 7 & 9 & never seem to have a minute. Weekends always full. Too knackered after work.

mcnultycop

I’ve been off the bike with a broken elbow (done on the bike, of course) for 10 weeks now? I’m itching to get riding again. I’ve bought a turbo and set it up today, just to maintain some level of fitness but my arm only lasted 20 minutes before I couldn’t face putting my weight in it any more.

If you can ride, ride. If you can’t ride get to the point that you can ride again, then ride.

iainc

Always difficult with kids. We have boys, aged 8 and 12 and it’s a juggling act with clubs and activities. I normally ride wed evenings and Sunday morning, with perhaps a quick ride Mon evening in the summer. This does all need planning and a very understanding wife. Currently off bike post operation and likely to be off for around 3 months in total(3 weeks in so far). Missing it hugely and fitness will disappear, but I can walk, so doing an hour of that daily..

senorj

I’ve struggled to maintain consistent fitness/strength this year.
    House move , renovation(ongoing)and L’il J all mean less time on the bike unfortunately.
    On the plus side , he’s really into bikes,and going on the back of mine. I balance the guilt I feel ,leaving him to go off on a 3 or 4 hour ride, with the positive it does my health – mental & physical. As well as the “role model” inspiration thing that crosshair mentions.

My fitness has deteriorated so much this year ,I dread climbing dash falls this christmas….. 🙁
    can’t wait really…. 😀

sherpa87
    Free Member

Yes I am considering adding a run just for a bit off cross training if nothing else. I’m glad that loss of fitness doesn’t seem to hamper people’s enjoyment too much. I’ve decided I’m going to ride every other Sunday. I’m going to devise a bit of a training plan and maybe run once a week and ill see how I get on. I’m already excited thinking about where to go.

ampthill

If the Gym includes some bike work I’m sure you’ll be fine….

Or try and do a bit of turbo stuff at home

chiefgrooveguru

I can’t imagine not enjoying night riding, it’s awesome! Do you need some better lights?

My solution is to ride to work on the MTB once a week, leave work early that day, get a couple of hours in on my own and then join my mates for our Thursday night ride. I get home after 4-5 hours of messing about in the woods, so worn out that I rarely want to ride at the weekend! I’m fortunate that I can ride from work to the trails and back home without much road mileage. As much as I love mountain biking I love spending time with my family at the weekend, especially now Mini-Guru is getting bigger. I cycle to work every day anyway so I guess that keeps the legs and lungs working ok.

robdob
    Free Member

I tried night riding and I really didn’t like it. Even with some good lights that I had I couldn’t go as fast as I wanted to

Some people love it but I just can’t seem to enjoy it.

sherpa87
    Free Member

I had a try of the gym bike last week and was surprised to be honest. Had it on the rolling hills setting so resistance increased at random points. There are also level buttons at the end of the handlebars which act in essence the same as gears. I am thinking of doing 1 spinny hour and one another day which is more of a grind keeping my hr at med/high levels. I’d commute if I could but that’s not an option unfortunately. I’m in the sameboat as robdob in that night riding just isn’t really for me. The Chinese lights were great. The added variables of weather/temperature/cleaning etc just don’t make it a desirable option for me. It probably says alot when I’d rather use a gym bike instead.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Part timers.’ is closed to new replies.