Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Part of the game…… Out of the game….
  • alpin
    Free Member

went for a ride yesterday… first “proper” ride of the year.

weather was perfect, 10°C and sunshine, lots of sunshine.

rode around the lake hitting all the small descents below the snow-line, so around 1200m.
    was a little rusty on the first descent, but things improved and i was feeling “in-the-zone” by the second….

the sun was beginning to dip behind the hills and we had just enough time for a final trail.

first time we had ridden it. nice and twisty through the woods with a few switchbacks. the trail then spits you out onto an almwiese (open meadow/grassland) with flowing, undulating terrain… a field of perfect natural kickers. WAHEY! says i… i manual into one of the compressions and BAM! the back wheel disappears from beneath me. i hit the deck hard. bike and i are spat out of the lip. i take off and land a few metres further hitting my head hard on the frozen ground. the bike is prevented from tumbling down the hill thanks to the barbed wire fence. i’m prevented hitting the fence when my leg plows into a post.

ouch. something isn’t right…. i couldn’t get up. matey had to man-handle me to my feet. i knew something wasn’t right as the first thing i would usually do after a crash is check the bike. i couldn’t give a rat’s arse about the bike. lots of pain, ooooh-ing and arrrr-ing.

we hobbled down the hill and made it to the train station.

got home and the GF had to help undress me.

went to the hospital to be told that the good news was that my collar bone was still intact. the bad news was that the impact of landing has torn/stretched all the ligaments in my shoulder. the tendons in my neck are swollen and sore, but worse of all i can’t independently move my right arm or put any pressure on it.

i’m likely to be out of it for the next three-four weeks. bugger.
    quite an expensive fall. have had to cancel four jobs that i had lined up and as i purposely didn’t take on any more work in december last year it’s a little annoying.

the GF is having to dress and wait on me. i can make tea, though, so not all bad….

anyways…. here are some pics of a sunny Schliersee….

daftvader
    Free Member

Ouch! Know what that kind of injury feels lile as I did similar in my rugby days…. Heel well. And nice pics btw.

slowjo
    Free Member

the GF is having to dress and wait on me

Can think of worse things! ;o)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Bad news Alpin. Take care dude.

nedrapier

Oops! Take care, shoulders are tricky.

Nice photos, though!

Never say “last run”!

longmover
    Free Member

Im just about to start riding again after 3 months out with a torn ligament in my shoulder. Sleeping with it is the worst.

Get well soon.

IanW
    Free Member

Week four since I did mine (grade 2) very painful, very frustrating (been for no2 yet?)and even now moving arm is like stirring a bag of spanners.
    As above sleeping on that side is really difficult, there all different but for me the turbo was ok after a two weeks and road rides after three.

Good luck.

scaled
    Free Member

I did my acj level 4, so all 4 ligaments were completely ruptured on Good Friday last year.

Back to 100% now (after surgery) and was back on the turbo about 6 weeks after the crash (4 weeks after the surgery) and back on the road bike a few weeks after that.

Nice scar too 😀

Bregante

the GF is having to dress and wait on me

Slowjo – Member
    Can think of worse things! ;o)

Why don’t you give the o.p a call and offer to help him, I’m sure his girlfriend will be glad of the break 🙂

Get well soon o.p :mrgreen:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Part of the game…… Out of the game….’ is closed to new replies.