Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Parrot and Budgie living in harmony?
  • haddock
    Free Member

or just a dead budgie lying at the bottom of the cage?

I know this is random, but has anyone on here introduced a budgie to live with a parrot to keep it company?

I have an 8 year old female Eclectus parrot (not reputed for their passive nature) but am concerned about her being bored when i'm at work. I leave the telly on and she can see into the garden, but she seems obsessed with looking at herself – dont want another parrot already explored that route, bad idea, but would a slowly introduced budgie get accepted and keep her occupied, anyone tried this? 🙂

tails
    Free Member

Hmmm so she already disliked another parrot. That may be your answer. If I where you I would keep one in a cage and let the other out (alternate this) and see how they get along. I would not be to worried with a parrot catching the budgie. Budgies are the spitfire of the living room.

haddock
    Free Member

She totally ignored a freinds parrot but it is a different breed and was in its house. She spent 2 weeks there and they didn't fight.

I wont get a male of the same breed as i'm advised they pair up, resulting in neither taking a blind bit of notice of me. I was thinking that a budgie, being pretty 'full on' in nature would keep her occupied, although it may just annoy her. 😕

tails
    Free Member

I really can't answer for sure, you would hope it would pester the parrot for attention. Although it may spend it's time looking out at the garden birds. They are cheap so you could try then give it away if it fails, although that sounds rather cruel.

project
    Free Member

A freind of mine had a African sleeping parrot,that was in hibernation for 3 weeks, till she took it back to the shop,he kept it for the night,after puting it in the dehibernation chamber he had, it woke up and flew out the door,never to be seen again.

So Mercedes got a couple of hamsters instead, sher now has quite a few more hamsters after they had sex. :oops:.

Heres the original thread

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-parrot-as-a-pet

haddock
    Free Member

Intergrate or be returned to the shop! – well it would be no worse of as long as it kept away from the Parrots beak. I saw a nice blue one that could hover like a humming bird, could be handy for quick escapes!

I'll keep looking into it as i'd feel really guilty if something did happen to the budgie, must be someone thats tried this before, though possibly not a cycling forum….
    Oh and thanks for not using the 'cheap' pun that I was expecting. 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

sounds like its pining for the fjords to me?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

must be someone thats tried this before

Why ? …….since the outcome is fairly obvious, why would anyone put a budgie into a cage with a parrot "not reputed for their passive nature" ?

I should think it's highly unlikely that you will find anyone prepared to admit doing such a dumb thing.

Any reason why they can't be kept in separate cages btw ? Or for that matter, why you can't get another parrot ?

haddock
    Free Member

already explained two parrot problem above. Its to keep her occupied, like a pet for a pet.

haddock
    Free Member

**** dogs just thrown up all over the floor!!!! – guess thats her opinion voiced. off to clear up dog sick…oh joy.

guido

Some good info here: http://www.birds-online.de/allgemein/anderevoegel_en.htm

Budgies are the spitfire of the living room.

😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

already explained two parrot problem above.

Was that the "explanation" then ?……..you don't want two parrots because they might pair up – resulting in neither taking a blind bit of notice of you ?

And since you've said, "she totally ignored a friends parrot but it is a different breed" why do you think a budgie would be appropriate ?

So what's wrong with getting another female ? ………..if you don't want her to get on 'too well' with her companion…….and God forbid, ignore you 😕

haddock
    Free Member

have you got a pet ernie? is it a reptile? 🙄

Guido – thats was the sought of thing I was after, ta 😉

colnagokid

This could be in the running for "Best ever STW thread"!
    A mate had a few birds that used to fly about happily in the house, but they all lived in separate cages. HTH!

haddock
    Free Member

Reading that link its clear that a budgie will not survive a direct attack from a parrot, so further thought needed…..

I'd already contemplated a bolt hole for the budgie to flee through,
    the cage is equipped with small opening doors intended for the fixing of feed bowls, if one of these doors was left open giving access to a budgie cage on the other side surely it would out manoeuvre the parrot and escape to safety? The only alternative thing I can think of would be a more assertive bird than a budgie. A Rosella perhaps.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

have you got a pet ernie?

Many, including birds.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I'd already contemplated a bolt hole for the budgie to flee through,

I'm sorry mate, but that really is bollox.

Keeping pets isn't some sort of gladiator style entertainment.

FFS grow up.

haddock
    Free Member

not mine but similar

Guess your right ernie, a budgie would only have to cop once and the parrot would kill it, have to look at a larger bird to go with her then, ta the for advice. Rosella?

bruk

Maybe instead of a pet for your pet you need to look at other ways to provide it with stimulus. More time spent interacting with it yourself?, They also make a good range of toys/feeding devices to play with and constantly changing them before they get bored with them does help too!

There is lots of information out there, just google it.

hora
    Free Member

A freind of mine had a African sleeping parrot,that was in hibernation for 3 weeks, till she took it back to the shop,he kept it for the night,after puting it in the dehibernation chamber he had, it woke up and flew out the door,never to be seen again.

On the way to the pub one night I came across as very large parrot in a bush (its tail was close to 1/2m in length). I kid you not. I rang the RSPCA (no Sir you need to catch the Parrot before we can do anything). The fecker tried taking my fingers off whilst mates (at the pub) were laughing down the phone…until they also came upto see..

Pook

Round our way in sheffield there are some parrots/cockatiels wild. Bright green things they are and quite beautiful.

They keep getting hassled by roaming gangs of budgies though so I suspect they may soon move out of the area*

*only part of this post maybe true

Haddock, how about some challenge for said parrot – make it think about how to get it's food or something like those crows that use tools? Would that work? Or get it a little bike.

hora
    Free Member

On National Pirates day can I borrow the Parrot? It'd be ace. 😀

Pook

yarrr

brucethesprucegoose
    Free Member

Is the parrot caged whilst you're working? If so couldn't you just keep them in cages next to each other so they can entertian one another whilst niether of them can get to the other and damage them.
    I guess if budgies in cages are interesting enough for people to watch for hours it should be the same for parrots.
    Or get fish, I can't help but watch them for ages, and if it doesnt like the fish, the parrot can just watch its own reflection in the glass!

brakes
    Free Member

why not buy two budgies? they could double-team the parrot if it got a bit lairy. you could dress them in leotards with little Nacho Libre masks. film it and put it on youtube. I'd watch it.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I think there's an emu for sale in germany or somewhere. Slightly damaged. Smells of donkey.

haddock
    Free Member

jackthedog – your onto something there 💡 i've been thinking too small,! a quail or something similar may be an idea. I've seen them on the bottom of an aviary, hoovering up the left over seed and probably big enough to put up with any attacks.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Parrot and Budgie living in harmony?’ is closed to new replies.