Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Parking Ticket – appeal or not appeal
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I parked in a parking bay that had a blue P sign on it and an electric vehicle recharge sign as well.

I checked the notice by the parking machine to see if there was anything about not parking in that bay and there was nothing saying it was purely for electric vehicles. As there was no signs saying ‘electric only’ or ‘electric vehicle parking only’ I felt it was safe to park there.

Got back to the car to find a ticket stuck to the screen for ‘ not vehicle of correct class;

I feel that the signs don’t clarify that it is only electric vehicles that can park there. Around the city we have other signs up for fancy permit holders that clearly state that it’s for their parking only and nobody else.

Council website however states the following

“Enforcement
    If a vehicle is parked in a bay without being connected to the charging point, a Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO) will issue a PCN.”

Which is only on their website and nowhere within the car park.

Its £35 now or £70 after 14 days. No idea what the chance of appeal is, but I am obviously miffed about it.

photos below

Lifer
    Free Member

It does say ‘charging point’ and not ‘parking space’ but then again has the blue P sign…

EDIT – although rule number 1 on that sign is ‘please find a parking space..’

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Isn’t that now Jesmond Vale?

Did you really think you were allowed to park there or are you looking for an excuse after the event?

Raindog
    Free Member

I’d appeal.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Appeal.

Whats to lose? Try peepipoo for more leverage for cancellation.

Cougar
    Lifer
    Free Member

Rule number 2 in ‘Conditions of use’

Do you need a permit to park in electric vehicle recharge points? A quick google suggests you do…

Xylene
    Free Member

However there is nothing there saying that you do.

Other signs around the city clearly state whether a permit is required or not.

Did you really think you were allowed to park there or are you looking for an excuse after the event?

Yes. It had nothing there saying that I cannot park there. If it had anything there stating clearly that I couldn’t park, I wouldn’t have parked there and instead parked in another space near by.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Come on – of course you couldn’t park there – it was an electric vehicle charging point which would be useless for electric vehicles if it was acceptable to park in it anytime you wnated.

Cougar

It should still have signage, surely? I’ve never seen one in my life, I wouldn’t have known.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Hang head in shame rather than appeal…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Still worth the appeal IMO

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Always worth the appeal.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

PAy the ticket if it said “disabled” and that was it you’d know what it meant!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Has anyone successfully appealed a parking ticket? I did some years back but after I’d written all the letters required, and taken the time to go to the appeal (and got off) it really wasn’t worth it for the money saved.

Remember that if you appeal and lose you’re liable for the £70.

Pay it and learn would be my view.

Xylene
    Free Member

PAy the ticket if it said “disabled” and that was it you’d know what it meant!

Exactly the point i’m arguing, we all know disabled badge bays are for disabled holders because we have it drummed into us.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

TBH it’s quite obvious to me, don’t need something drumming into you to know it’s right! Double red lines on a road you park there you get a ticket, just becuase you don’t know what it means doesn’t mean you should appeal (you would actually probably get towed) but just pay the ticket I say.

Xylene
    Free Member

just pay the ticket I say.

I will be ignoring that advice. After all that is what internet forums are for, asking advice and ignoring it.

spooky_b329

Mmmm…I wonder if I could park my campervan in one of these spaces to recharge my leisure batteries. There are quite a few dotted around Brighton 🙂

Frankenstein
    Free Member

I couldn’t park and charge my car as some selfish bloke parked in the electric charge area 😆

You can try it on, why not -they can only say no.

Just tell them you thought your car was electric and act dumb like being dumb enough to park in an electric area and they may let you off.

Nothing to lose.

Ignorance is rarely a defence. Rank stupidity even less so.

ivantate
    Free Member

Dont know anyone who has won a parking appeal.

My rule is not to park anywhere if its easily available like that in an otherwise busy area. If it was allowed the locals would be doing it.

onehundredthidiot

Appeal as it doesn’t seem to be very clear. the permit rule 2 might be the clincher but even that is a bit vague

petefromearth

definately appeal.

i did so recently and got off. accept responsibility for the offence (you can’t really argue against it) but claim that you weren’t aware that you were parking illegally. now that you are aware, you won’t be doing it again. etc etc.

our city council (bristol) will freeze the 14day period for the duration of the appeal, so you’ve got nothing to lose, as long as you start the appeal before that time elapses.

(stick it to the man!)

RichPenny
    Free Member

Signage not correct. You did the right thing and made sure you could park there by checking the information available. If they can’t make it obvious then they should rewrite the sign! Definitely appeal 🙂

Xylene
    Free Member

Received a letter when I was away.

Ticket cancelled on review of the evidence and circumstances.

Need to go check the parking bay and see if they have been relabelled.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

There you go pays to complain, why if they have relabelled it you are going to park there again?

Xylene
    Free Member

vwhy if they have relabelled it you are going to park there again?

Curious to see if they have spent the money making it clearer or not.

olympus
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought Newcastle City council would be that considerate! Well done!

CountZero

Has anyone successfully appealed a parking ticket? I did some years back but after I’d written all the letters required, and taken the time to go to the appeal (and got off) it really wasn’t worth it for the money saved.

I did. Parking area in a country park in Bradford-on-Avon, 8.45am on a Sunday. Visiting to help Sustrans for an environment festival put on by the council, but had no change, so went to try to find a stallholder who did. No success, and got back to the car after 5-10 minutes to find my car ticketed. I was furious, it was a council run event, but they had no provision for exhibitors to park, and it was early on a Sunday. I wrote protesting strongly and my complaint was upheld.

jeff

Yep – I got a fine retracted, but that was vs an evil private parking contractor, not a council

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

I work for a large company and a couple of us are having problems with parking fines. I’ve contacted the British Parking Association and they are looking into it for me. I got a parking ticket, and rightly so, but the notice arrived the day after the cut off day for reducing the fine from £80 down to £15 on proving I spent in the Service Station, which I did. Now they don’t want to know and are being iognorant b*st*rds about it.

You wouldn’t believe it but the girl in our office got a parking ticket at her local Sainsbury’s store because she had her ticket upside down in the window screen – you couldn’t write this stuff!!

Try the BPA, they don’t have any regulatory powers but contact the parking fine’s company on your behalf.

Cougar

Contacting them is your first mistake, generally. They’re not “fines”, they’re invoices. If they didn’t come from (or on behalf of) the council or the police (or Transport London), ignore them.

Flaperon

Remember that if you appeal and lose you’re liable for the £70.

No you’re not.

If it’s a private car park I wouldn’t bother with an appeal at all; they’re crooks, the lot of them. Local authority? Nothing to lose!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Parking Ticket – appeal or not appeal’ is closed to new replies.