Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • parking on double yellows
  • andrewh
    Free Member

So, if blue badge holders are allowed to do it why do they bother putting the lines there? If they let some people park there it can’t be a dangerous place to park.
    if it is dangerous/inconvienient enough to warrant double yellows why should badge holders be allowed to park there? If it’s not why can’t we all park there?
    nothing against marked bays where appropriate but the yellow line thing does seem a bit odd

Liftman

I thought it wa only single yellows they were allowed to park on, don’t think anyone can park on doubles.

nealglover
    Free Member

Blue Badge Holders can park for up to three hours on single and double yellow lines so long as they are not causing an obstruction (except where there is a ban on loading or unloading or other restrictions).

aracer
    Free Member

It doesn’t even suggest they’re required to put their hazard lights on.

nealglover
    Free Member

It doesn’t even suggest they’re required to put their hazard lights on.

That’s because they aren’t 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

You can also load and unload on double yellows so it is not a complete ban

RichPenny
    Free Member

Poor troll

grum
    Free Member

Blue Badge Holders can park for up to three hours on single and double yellow lines so long as they are not causing an obstruction (except where there is a ban on loading or unloading or other restrictions).

Didn’t know that. Sweet!

aracer
    Free Member

That’s because they aren’t

Another rule that only applies to the able bodied.

grum
    Free Member

Another rule that only applies to the able bodied.

Oh noes! Do you feel discriminated against?

johndoh
    Free Member

It is a pretty simple rule. I have never seen an issue with it.

Cougar

I’m with the OP on this, I think.

If there’s double yellows, one would hope that they’re there for a reason. For example, it’s dangerous. Are vehicles belonging to blue-badge holders somehow permeable or something? If it’s safe for some people to park there for a few hours, why have double yellows in the first place?

Only reason I can think is if you’re creating ‘disabled-only’ parking; in which case, why not just label it as such?

“No parking” should mean no parking. If they actually mean “no parking except for less able bodied drivers,” perhaps we need a different road marking.

grum
    Free Member

If it’s safe for some people to park there for a few hours, why have double yellows in the first place?

Presumably because hardly anyone with a blue badge will actually do it. I sometimes drive for someone who has a blue badge and even now I know you can do that would be very unlikely to do it unless it was some kind of emergency/last resort.

If everyone was allowed to then loads of people would and it would cause all sorts of problems. The odd person doing it occasionally is unlikely to cause much of a problem.

andrewh
    Free Member

Not a troll penny, I think Cougar has said it better than I did. Either it’s an unsuitable place to leave a car or it isn’t , why does who was driving it when it was left there matter? Just seems a little odd.

grum
    Free Member

If everyone was allowed to then loads of people would and it would cause all sorts of problems. The odd person doing it occasionally is unlikely to cause much of a problem.

When I am looking for somewhere to park suitable for getting a mobility chair out of the back, I am extremely unlikely to select a busy road, even if I’m legally allowed to. I suspect the same is true for most people with mobility issues.

However I can imagine the odd scenario where it might just make life a bit easier for someone for whom life isn’t generally that easy. Has anyone noticed a big problem with the inappropriate parking of blue badge holders? Can’t say I have.

andrewh
    Free Member

.iI have, a narrow near where I work, a real nuiscance.. I can see why it’s double yellows, daft to leave a car there but there are usually quite a few with blue badges causing havoc, especailly on bin lorry day or if the tyre place has a delivery.
    I see them on other roads not causing any problems, so if it doesn’t cause an issue why not just make it normal parking?
    i’m guessing the council may trying to force people into their expensive car parks by painting too many yellow lines where they aren’t really needed, some are sensibly placed but very few, and as per the example above they don’t solve problem anyway.

grum
    Free Member

Then they should instigate ‘a ban on loading or unloading or other restrictions’ on that road.

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed a problem like that though. Can someone post the HMHB song please, I’m on my phone. 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

If they actually mean “no parking except for less able bodied drivers,” perhaps we need a different road marking.

No need, We already have a road marking that means exactly what you describe.

Double Yellow Lines

🙂

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Of all the things to get annoyed about! Would you also like the disability with which this privilege comes? Just do what other jeb-ends do on the A6, Hazel Grove, and park on them anyway if you’re that miffed.

nealglover
    Free Member

.iI have, a narrow near where I work, a real nuiscance.. I can see why it’s double yellows, daft to leave a car there but there are usually quite a few with blue badges causing havoc,

Then they are illegally parked.

Report them.

(See the rules I posted earlier)

Mister-P
    Free Member

Double yellow lines round here mean “no parking unless you have a disabled badge, drive a taxi, have foreign number plates or just generally can’t be bothered to walk to buy fags and booze”.

johndoh
    Free Member

You forgot ‘have yellow flashing parking lights on’…

stumpyjon

How many of you would recognise the road markings indicating no loading, the rules and markings are already quite complicated and mainly ignored, disabled badge holders doing what they’re currently entitled to is a fairly minor issue really.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bloody silly idea. double yellows are there because its a stupid place to park but those least able to move a bit sharpish or avoid danger are allowed to do so.
    Yet another example of the stupid things that our country comes up with.

sweepy
    Free Member

There’s not many perks in being disabled, let them have it.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Not a troll penny, I think Cougar has said it better than I did. Either it’s an unsuitable place to leave a car or it isn’t , why does who was driving it when it was left there matter? Just seems a little odd.

Maybe it’s an unsuitable place for lots of cars to park but reasonably safe for only one or two?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where I used to live the local conservative club (cheap G&T shed) always had 1 or 2 blue badge cars outside on a bend just over a crest on a bridge that effectively blocked traffic.

konabunny
    Free Member

Yet another example of the stupid things that our country comes up with.

You can barely imagine the complexity of social and legal development that has to take place before this is a dilemma. It’s a bit trite now but this is the pinnacle of #firstworldproblems

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems fair to me.

“Don’t park here, cos it’ll be a pain in the arse and we’ll all have to drive around you causing congestion, but if you really really need it and are disabled then we can just deal with that cos you need a break”

It’s something you hardly ever see, actually. So I think the system works (with regards blue badge holders anyway).

What I do find puzzling however is why blue badge holders don’t have to pay on the Severn Bridge. I can’t think of any reason why you would have to use the bridge due to a disability where an able bodied person wouldn’t – so why the perk? Disabled or not you’re just going from Wales to England exactly the same as everyone else.

aracer
    Free Member

I can’t think of any reason why you would have to use the bridge due to a disability where an able bodied person wouldn’t

It’s free to cycle across.

milky1980
    Free Member

You can only cycle the old bridge though.

Disabled badge drivers generally need to park close to where they’re going so I don’t begrudge them using it. It’s the carers and family members that abuse it that I can’t stand!!

As for parking restrictions, if every delivery driver obeyed the rules on loading bays (times of operation, time limits etc) there would be an awful lot of empty shops. There are whole areas of Cardiff that have no operational loading bays all day!! Don’t get me started on the Queen Street GP 👿

vickypea
    Free Member

I hardly see anyone parking on double yellows, blue badge or not, except outside the Chinese takeaway in our village, where people can’t be bothered to walk half a mile and apparently think it’s fine to create chaos on a very narrow road.

dan1980
    Free Member

It seems round my way, it’s perfectly acceptable to park on double yellows, so long as you put your hazard lights on.

This frustrates me as my motorbike doesn’t have hazards, and I want to be cool like the other road users…. 😕

A possibly not wholly accurate observation, but I’ve noticed the Blue badge holders who seem to make most use of their ‘park almost anywhere’ privilege i.e. double yellows, are the ones that sprightly hoik themselves out of the car and trot off down the road vaguely brandishing a walking stick

konabunny
    Free Member

I can’t think of any reason why you would have to use the bridge due to a disability where an able bodied person wouldn’t

Eh? If you’re able bodied and don’t want to pay the toll, you can walk, cycle, bus or train to where you’re going. Less so if you’re disabled in a way that would get you a blue badge.

nealglover
    Free Member

Where I used to live the local conservative club (cheap G&T shed) always had 1 or 2 blue badge cars outside on a bend just over a crest on a bridge that effectively blocked traffic.

So they are illegally parked.

Just like anyone else who parked there would be.

Not really relevant to the debate on wether Blue Badge holders should be able to park on double yellow lines while sticking to the rules.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Round here it’s ok to park on double yellow lines as ling as you park with most of your car covering the pavement.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im pretty sure ~Do9uble Yellows don’t apply when located within 20m of a local shop.

Anyway, I have an issue with badgeholders parking on double yellows. Where our road joins the main road, some plank parks his bloody C1 5 yards from the junction (leaving a huuuge gap in front of his car), thus nicely blocking the view of the road in trying to pull out into.
    Still he manages to walk perfectly ok from the car to his house, but he’s got a blue badge, so thats ok then. 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Eh? If you’re able bodied and don’t want to pay the toll, you can walk, cycle, bus or train to where you’re going. Less so if you’re disabled in a way that would get you a blue badge.

For most trips involving the Severn Bridge cycling or walking are hardly practical.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Is that actual “causing havoc” or BritishDriverSpeak’s version of “causing havoc”?

The latter usually translates as “taking me off autopilot and perhaps making me wait a moment or two”.

As for the comments about rules “only applying to the able bodied”, well that’s absolutely fine with me. Seems a miniscule “price” to pay for being able bodied.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘parking on double yellows’ is closed to new replies.