Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Parking for ‘The Gap – Talybont on Usk
  • chalkstorm
    Free Member

Hi all

Am planning on doing ‘the Gap’ at the weekend… and wondered what the best place to park at Talybont on Usk is – and if it’s safe to park on the White Hart Carp Arc without getting clamped?

Cheers

brakeswithface

There’s usually a fair amount of parking on the main road through Talybont which is normally what I’d go for.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

or go over the swing bridge and there is a layby on the right a few yards up.

pedalhead
    Free Member

yup, main road through Talybont tends to have loads of space.

timber

big layby next to the outdoor centre between the A40 and village if not full of canoeists

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Nice one, thanks guys, appreciated 🙂

brakeswithface

I sometimes park by the reservoir near the start of the Gap climb (going clockwise) – this means you finish down a good descent to the car which is always nicer than having to finish on the road. Nicer ascent from the car as well – the gap ascent never kills me as much as the later one (on the national park website route). Incidentally, any thoughts on variations on the gap ride? I always just do the http://www.mtbbreconbeacons.co.uk/ version, does anyone have any interesting alternatives?

Rickos
    Free Member

Don’t park in the pub, they’re miserable sods so not worth going to for food or anything and there’s always plenty of space on the main street.

Ambrose

It is well worthwhile getting a map and then following the (legally diverted) bridleways down to Llanfrynach, via Nant Menasgin. There are also a couple of places where the sneaky people might opt to switch from the road to the towpath for the return to Tal y Bont.

Best parking is as close to the shop as possible, on the main road. Enjoy. It’s a good ride.

neilb67
    Free Member

I normally park on the road near the shop. Then just ride back to the pub and the start of the tramway. Great ride, reminds me I must do it again very soon… Weather looks good for it this weekend aswell… 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I usually park half a mile along the reservoir where there is an off-road layby. This is still one of my favourite rides.

waihiboy
    Free Member

as above what neilb67 says, just park along the road just down from the shop opposite the road that goes over the canal, parked there hundreds of times over the years and had no trouble.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Parking for ‘The Gap – Talybont on Usk’ is closed to new replies.