Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Parking fine – Fair or should I tell them to kindly F Off ?
  • takisawa2

I’m sure they need to prove who was driving in order to take it before a magistrate. And they hve no more power than I do, to force you to do that. Just keep ignoring the letters & don’t enter into any correspondence with the bunch of portakabin dwelling pond life.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I had a similar difference of opinions with a private parking firm. I probably made my first mistake by emailing them, rather than ignoring. Their response was:

Within the correspondence it suggests that you were not the driver at the time of the contravention.

As such, because we are members of the British Parking Association (BPA) we are required to invite you to declare that you either were the driver of the vehicle at the time the charge was issued or to disclose the identity of the driver at that time.

We feel obligated to mention that, under the Pre-Action Protocol of the Civil Procedural Rules, court action must only be viewed as a last resort. We are making all reasonable attempts to avoid this outcome.

However, it is worth noting that, if this matter does proceed to court, we will request that a Norwich Pharmacal Order [Norwich Pharmacal Co. v Customs and Excise Commissioners [1974]] be issued by the Court so that the correct driver details would have to be provided.

Many forums /sites advise people to ignore parking charges; with some advising people to send standard letters to deny liability for the charge notice.

It is not advisable to believe what you read on the forums as we do take people to court.

This was proven in Oldham County Court in November 2008 where an operator won a case where the keeper stated that they were not the driver and could not remember who was driving. The judge decided that on the balance of probability he was the driver and ruled against him.

Please visit http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news-headlines/15246/parking-penalty-just-judge-rules for a summary of the case.

i.e. lots of legal-sounding bullocks which they hope will scare you into paying up. Sadly I think I’m in for a lot more of this, by showing willing by responding to their first letter 👿

nasher
    Free Member

so what can you do if they clamp your car? this happened to me and I paid up…

grantway
    Free Member

I would state I was only there for the One Hour allowed and stated by the shop
    It does not give you anytime on the poster when the One Hour is !

jonke
    Free Member

I’m in a similar boat after getting a ticket last weekend. B**ers had a bin bag over the pay and display machine and still put a ticket on me car. My intention is to take pleasure in ignoring every letter they send me.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Morally you were wrong and I suspect, going by the start of your post, you know it.
    It’s not your land , you have no right to be there. End of story.

Unfortunately legislation screws tha land owner and as a result of stupid over charging you will get away with it.

One nice idea that I saw once was a similar notice but instead of demanding a silly amount the landowner suggested quite nicely a donation to charity. I know of one person who took it on the chin and di just that. I’d love to here of some one trying that to a more demanding parking company.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Tecso’s in Oban does exactly that. £70 if you exceed 3 hours, but goes to whichever is their charity that year.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I don’t see the problem, if a company provides parking spaces and they are not full/overflowing, for people to use it for other shops nearby, especially if it’s out of hours for the shop in question. Up here most parking places seem to be free, those that aren’t are the ones in city centres and are specific parking locations not for shops. Seems to work fine up here, you don’t seem to get shops over-run with people parking for other locations costing them a fortune in lost revenue.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Parking fine – Fair or should I tell them to kindly F Off ?’ is closed to new replies.