Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Parking at The Look Out, Swinley
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Over Swinley Forest today, in the Look Out car park there were some people carrying out a survey about charging for parking in the Look Out car park.

Not such a bad idea (although I don’t generally drive there) as long as they keep it reasonable. I think it will happen – the car park is full by about 11am at the weekend, so it could be a gold mine for them. A good way a raising money for the upkeep of the forest or just cashing in?

tomsk01
    Free Member

Well you are supposed to buy a permit to ride there of which the money goes to the maintenance of the trails (not sure how many people bother to buy one though) Place does get absolutely rammed at weekends in the summer so a small charge might help persuade people to find alternative means of getting there, but as its Crown Estate I’m guessing the money would go to Queenie, who I’m pretty sure has enough already

cinnamon_girl

This has been looked into before but one could almost be forgiven that when you spend money on overpriced food in the Cafe, part of that must be going to Crown Estate!

Frankly, if I was still a Bracknell Forest Council Tax payer, I wouldn’t be too impressed.

djglover
    Free Member

Just park in coral reef when they start charging.

allthepies
    Free Member

Frankly, if I was still a Bracknell Forest Council Tax payer, I wouldn’t be too impressed.

With what ?

cinnamon_girl

With what ?

Er, the mega bucks received from Harry Potter filming for use of car park. Word in the hood was that Bracknell Forest Council did rather nicely.

Reluctant
    Free Member

If they levy a charge, people will head to Coral Reef or Sainsburys, which is only a very short ride away. As a Brack Forest resident, I just ride there – well, there has to be some benefit to make up for all the grimness. 😆

allthepies
    Free Member

Word in the hood was that Bracknell Forest Council did rather nicely.

Well that’s good if you’re a Bracknell Forest taxpayer isn’t it ?

cinnamon_girl

Well that’s good if you’re a Bracknell Forest taxpayer isn’t it ?

Well, I think the bigger picture is that many people, particularly families, make good use of the Forest and its facilities. Arguably they should be paying but we do have an obesity epidemic so exercise should be encouraged!

cinnamon_girl

On the other hand you have to pay to park everywhere else, ie QEP used to be £2? Avebury (National Trust) is £5.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Can’t see a problem with charging folk to park. Be a good way of raising money for trail building/maintenance etc. I don’t mind paying a couple of quid for biking there, more than reasonable really. But I often get a train there, so I’m not getting any ‘free’ parking.

Just park in coral reef when they start charging.

What a tight-arse! Spend thousands on bikes, yet don’t want to fork out couple of quid for parking?? 😆

You’re from Oop North, aren’t you? 😉

CG; that cafe has it’s ups and down. Had a burger in there recently; wasn’t bad, and only £2.80 or something. Rare occurence to get owt ok in there though tbh. Mostly it’s bin dire. It’s not that difficult to do simple food ffs. Maybe they’re under new management or something.

theotherjonv

Well you are supposed to buy a permit to ride there of which the money goes to the maintenance of the trails

For the record

from http://www.gorrick.com/swinley/permits.php

Where does my money go?
    The greater portion pays for the £5 million Public Liability insurance cover, which is a requirement set by the Crown Estate.
    – To the Crown Estate for the general upkeep of the amenities of the woods; tracks, fences, signs etc. and to pay for the rangers.
    – On administration of the scheme.
    – Signage within the forest.
    – Any surplus funds are ploughed back into maintaining the excellent singletrack.

atlaz
    Free Member

If they charge to park, the fee for riding there has to go. I don’t object to paying one or the other and if it’s only a couple of pounds I’m unlikely to ride there any less.

tomsk01
    Free Member

I’ve ridden there more times than I can remember and never had anyone check to see if I’ve got a permit or not, obviously that would be a bit difficult to do in reality, but i’m guessing a lot of people probably don’t bother buying one, especially if they’re only going the once. Would seem to make more sense to scrap the permit and have a fee for parking

theotherjonv

If they charge to park, the fee for riding there has to go

Why? As above the majority of the permit money goes to liability insurance. If you ride in you still need the insurance, it’s a Crown Estate requirement.

tonyd

I agree with atlaz, I’m happy to pay for parking but would be very disappointed if I still have to buy an annual pass for riding there.

If you do go and park at coral reef make sure everything is well hidden. Quite a few years ago now but we got three cars broken into one mid week evening. We tend to use the posh tennis club carpark now when night riding as it’s well lit and busy, no problems in 5 years or more.

theotherjonv

edited – i can’t be arsed to have this argument again. Read the link, make your decision whether a parking fee to use the carpark is for the same reason as why there’s a permit scheme.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Twenty five pounds in petrol??

It’s at least forty pounds in an Audi A3 3.2 litre sporty type car!

True dat dey iz selfish dough. Couple of quid? Come on ffs…

tomsk01
    Free Member

I agree that people should buy a permit regardless of whether there will be a parking fee as well, but how many people actually do buy a permit??? wouldn’t it be better to have a fee that was easily enforceable at point of entry and then share this money out among the various parties? you don’t buy a permit at any other trail centre (I call Swinley a trail centre, even if it’s not in the same league as Afan et al), but pay to park there

DT78
    Free Member

I’d prefer parking charges instead of (not as well) the permit scheme. A couple of times I’ve been there before the office is open, and a couple more I’ve had to queue for reception behind people dithering.

Plus lumping the permit cost into the parking means people will have to pay (unless they park somewhere else of course…)

QE is £2 to park all day, I have no worries paying that even though you can park about 30seconds away for free.

theotherjonv

you don’t buy a permit at any other trail centre

Chicksands £5 per day; Aston Hill £6 per day; Tilgate Forest £4 per day……..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Swinley is fun. Lots of really good, well made and maintained little trails. Gets better every year.

Couple of quid’s nowt really, for all that. And it’s only like fifteen pounds for an unlimited yearly pass if you ride there a lot. That’s not even a round of drinks (forget crisps and snacks!).

theotherjonv

It’s not an overall insurance scheme, the permit is there so every rider is covered and also every rider (in theory) in buying the permit has been made aware of their responsibilities re: the other aspects of the permit scheme.

Why do you need a permit?
    There are three main reasons why you need a cycling permit:

Swinley Forest is private land and is not owned by the Royal Household, Local Authority or Forestry Commission.
    Swinley Forest is part of a Special Protection Area under the European Birds Directive for four species of rare birds. This directive gives far reaching powers over the suitablility of activities that take place in the forest.
    To provide Public Liability insurance cover, which this cycle permit gives you.
    The Crown Estate has a duty to demonstrate a proper management of all forest and leisure activities. To ensure that cycling is a suitable activity, a permit scheme must be in place to control cycling and inform riders of their responsibilites. Gorrick, as an agent of The Crown Estate, is solely licensed to manage The Swinley Forest Cycle Permit Scheme and distribute annual permits to cycle in Swinley Forest.

A couple of times I’ve been there before the office is open, and a couple more I’ve had to queue for reception behind people dithering

Buy it on line the day before, print off, job done.

tomsk01
    Free Member

OK, excuse my ignorance, never been to any of those centres, just seems to me that its very easy to get away with not paying at Swinley, and to be honest they don’t make it all that clear when you get there that you’re supposed to buy a permit to ride there. I’d be happy to pay a couple of quid each time, or have the option of buying a season ticket to display in your car, I’m all in favour of supporting Swinley, just think there’s better ways of them making money

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I must admit I’ve forgotten to pay more often than I’ve remembered… 😳

But I’ve bin skanked in that cafe enough times. More than makes up for it I’d say.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Quite happy parking in Crowthorne, only five minute ride away and good trails to get there and back. Never parked at the Lookout. Far too many ignorants, who park and make it tricky to get out etc. I guess parking costs will make other people contribute, such as runners and walkers, but sad times mean that any form of recreation , however healthy , means it has to cost you, which is something the council should be making it more inviting. For most here £2 is nothing, but may stop some families having an afternoon out in the sunshine. I doubt if you’ll see any difference with the money input, it is just to compensate for any council cuts that have been implemented and any money made, will probably go into helping some pathetic council crap, not related to the Lookout.

theotherjonv

There are signs on entrances to the forest from the car park. There used to be at every entrance to the forest but out of view people kept tearing them down.

its very easy to get away with not paying at Swinley,

This is exactly it. Yes, in all likelihood you won’t run into a ranger or warden but if you do, and it’s one who isn’t as pro-cycling as others – or worse you have an accident and need assistance / injure someone – and then it’s found you didn’t bother getting a permit, that’s another black mark against cyclists in general.

tomsk01
    Free Member

You can buy an annual permit rather than buy a day one each time you go there, makes sense if you go more than a few times a year

martinh
    Free Member

The Crown Estate isn’t owned by the Royals. It is part of the government, profits go to the government. It manages the Crown lands which the royals handed over in return for a regular income (the civil list).

The Look Out and, I assume the car park, are leased by Bracknell Forest Borough Council. I guess if car park fees were levied they would go to the council, not Crown Estates so would have no impact on trail maintenance.

cinnamon_girl

I would have thought whilst Coral Reef do not charge then it’s unlikely they will introduce parking charges at Swinley.

smoothchicken

Know plenty of folks that rock up and don’t pay or have a permit.
    I’d keep the permit for mountain bikes at £20 per year but include a parking pass, then charge everyone else that uses the Look Out!

jon1973
    Free Member

I buy my riding permit, but rarely park there, so not sure the two things are related. Some are suggesting free parking with a permit, so if I don’t park can I get a cheaper permit? If you live close by then cycle there.

If you’re from outside the area, or choose to drive then I don’t see a problem with paying for parking. You look at places like Bedgebury you’re paying £8.50 a go, so as long as it’s reasonable, maybe 50p/hr, I don’t see a problem, as long as the money get pumped back in to the park.

My opinion is that I feel pretty lucky to have this on my doorstep (well, almost) so I don’t mind paying. In the grand scheme of thigs, it’s negligible.

atlaz
    Free Member

theotherjonv – I know what the riding fee goes towards, don’t be so flouncy. I’m saying that they can’t cut things both ways. Given how few riders bother with permits, it would make far more sense if they charge to park to put that money towards the insurance etc. Given we’re talking about a theoretical charge, I can say what I want about what that’s going to be put towards, be that insurance, crack or painting the trees pink.

Also, given there’s so much free countryside for people to walk in in the immediate area that doesn’t require paying for parking, I think they may end up with dropping numbers to the forest as a whole if they start to charge.

theotherjonv

sorry, don’t mean to be ‘flouncy’. But the point is that the permit scheme as well as providing income to do all those things is there “to control cycling and inform riders of their responsibilites”. It’s not just a financial balancing act.

If you drop the permit scheme and replace that income with parking fees, (and take as an assumption the money bit balances) there is no longer the control of cycling and responsibilities that the Crown Estate stipulates has to be in place before they allow cycling to take place.

I suppose in theory there’s an argument that if they charge for parking and balance the books that way, then have a compulsory but free permit scheme for riders, that would actually be fair. But it would still take administering so unlikely it would be free.

If I’m going to be flouncy, it’ll be at those who know there’s a scheme, and still refuse to pay it because they don’t agree with it.

hs125
    Free Member

I have no problem with paying my share towards the upkeep of the trails and forest in general, and have an annual pass.
    I don’t like the idea of car park fees, as it is bound to mean people just move to other free car parks nearby, but after a while these get full up, and so charges are introduced too. Once all nearby car parks have introduced a fee, every layby, verge and other spot of land available will get parked on. The council will then have to act because of inconsiderate or dangerous parking in the area, resulting in miles of yellow lines and bollards in all surroundong areas. By this time a number of friendly clamping operators will have offered their services to local land owners, and the whole experience of visiting Swinley will be a pita.
    I’d rather just pay for my annual riding permit and have hassle free parking.

gee
    Free Member

Guys, it’s a few pounds. You’ve paid thousands for a bike and are now moaning about a tiny parking charge. The parking charge and bike permit are totally different in terms of what they cover/pay for. The two could not be combined. Perhaps try are trying to increase security in the car park due to rising thefts and would use the money to pay for some security guards? Also, the car park isn’t in a good state last time I was over there, it gets quite muddy and puddly in the wet, so maybe they’d resurface bits too?

I’m biased however, as I always just ride there.

GB

wisepranker
    Free Member

Once all nearby car parks have introduced a fee, every layby, verge and other spot of land available will get parked on. The council will then have to act because of inconsiderate or dangerous parking in the area, resulting in miles of yellow lines and bollards in all surroundong areas.

Exacltly what’s happened around Virginia Water. Every weekend during the summer the lay-by’s and verges are filled with the cars of people who don’t seem to like having to pay the couple of pounds that it costs to park there for a few hours. The funny thing is that loads of the cars on the verges etc are expensive Merc’s. BMW’s and the like so it’s not like they can’t afford it!

I can’t see problem with having to pay for parking as long as it’s reasonable. If it isn’t, I’ll just go elsewhere.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

This has been looked into before but one could almost be forgiven that when you spend money on overpriced food in the Cafe, part of that must be going to Crown Estate!
    Frankly, if I was still a Bracknell Forest Council Tax payer, I wouldn’t be too impressed

Yeah, but you used to live less than a miles ride away from Swinley and still drive round and use the carpark!!!

And nobody’s making you buy the overpriced food, and they dont mind if you sit and eat your own grub at their tables!

I think a parking charge is long overdue. £2-£3 would be quite reasonable.

aP
    Free Member

Frankly, if you can afford to drive a car anywhere you can afford to pay for parking – why should taxpayers subsidise parking?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Will they actually be able to make charges here enforceable or will it be the same PPC nonsense that you get at supermarkets etc?

Just asking like.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Parking at The Look Out, Swinley’ is closed to new replies.