Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Park and ride (bike not bus) Edinburgh to Glasgow
  • bothybiker
    Free Member

Looking for a bit of advice on a location to park my car, something like 10-15 miles from Glasgow on the east side that I can then ride the rest of the way to work. I will be coming from Edinburgh.

Currently getting the train once a week or so from Haymarket to Queen st at £23 a trip. I live 5 miles from Haymarket so already that involves either a bike or bus there. Driving all the way to Glasgow city centre isn’t a great option due to parking costs.

I’m thinking that a drive to somewhere on the east side, parking for free and then biking in is a good option. Timescale wise wouldn’t be much longer than the train/bus way. Any suggestions on where I could park safely and for free? I ride a Genesis croix de fer so a route into town that would be a mix of roads/paths/canal track etc would be sweet, or could do road all the way. The quieter and more scenic the better of course 🙂

Final destination is Bath Street.

Cheers

perchypanther
    Free Member

Glasgow Fort and ride in along Edinburgh Road?

Further out – Showcase Cinema complex or Dakota hotel / Eurocentral.

mucker

What about parking in Falkirk, somewhere near the Forth and Clyde canal and using the towpath to enter the city from the north?

bothybiker
    Free Member

Falkirk probably a bit far out for a sensible morning commute.

Eurocentral looks good actually. 14 miles. Not sure how busy the Edinburgh Road would be but worth a try anyway

cbike
    Free Member

Park in govanhill, 7 minutes to city centre.

cbike
    Free Member

Park in govanhill, 7 minutes to city centre.

federalski
    Free Member

You could park at Kirkintilloch or Kilsyth for free then follow the canal all the way to Spiers Wharf where you duck under to Cowcaddens Underground then the road for the last 5 minutes to Bath Street.

scruff9252

Parking at kirkintilloch is a pretty good shout actually. I drive there fairly often from Edin and the m9 / m80 is usually significantly quicker than the m8, especially if stopping before Glasgow itself.

Easy ride to central Glasgow too

irc

Best suggestion so far is the Glasgow Fort. The M8 rush hour Q starts not too far east. Edinburgh Rd east from the Fort is 6 lanes with only local traffic and bus lanes. Easy cycling. 5 miles to the city centre versus 9 miles parking at Kirkintilloch and using the canal.

Or come off at the next junction and look for parking in Queenslie Industrial Estate. I worked there for a couple of years. No problems with car crime during the day. Gets you a bit closer to Edinburgh Rd.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Kirkintilloch is a bit of a faff to get to from the motorway though, why not Mollinsburn or such and ride along the A80 dual through Stepps?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Park and ride (bike not bus) Edinburgh to Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.