Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Paris Roubaix challenge – Anyone done it?
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Just debating whether to do the 140km or play it safe for the 70km as I’ve not ridden the cobbles over there (the cobbles here in Luxembourg are quite well maintained). Anyone got any experience of it? 140km is quite a long ride for me but should be fine if the cobbles don’t kill me.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I went with ASO as a press person the first year they did it in April, except I was feeling a bit under the weather so didn’t do the ride and just cycled down to the finish to meet my friends, however I did ride a few sectors of pave the day before including the arenburg (twice!) plus a few more on the day.
    It’s a whole new world compared to Flanders pavé they are the size of small loaves of bread! They are seriously hard work and it takes a lot of effort to keep your speed up high enough to skim over the top. I’m only 66kg and I think it might help if you are heavier. I love Flanders but I don’t think roubaix is my kind of ride. Chapeau to anyone who rides it.

atlaz
    Free Member

Hmm… maybe I’ll do the 70km this year and the 140 or full the year after. Or just drive up there and have a look at some sections one weekend.

weeble
    Free Member

Yep done it. it’s true the pave is brutal but you dont go to ride Roubaix if you think its going to be anything but brutal

There’s nothing that will prepare you for riding the pave. My advice is go for the 140km version there are good stretches of road between many of the sectors where you can get some recovery from the pounding your taking.

if you pay attention to your training, tyre choice and pressure and postion on the bike you’ll be OK but you will still take a beating it’s that kind of event.

Doing Flanders this year, cannot wait

plop_pants
    Free Member

I’ve done the full VC Roubaix organised one three times now. I’ve also done the full Flanders cyclo twelve times. Roubaix is a killer, Flanders is just beautiful. If you are prepared for the emotional rollercoaster
    that is Roubaix then its still something you should try at least once.
    The pain can be unbearable at times but the feeling of achievement you get when you finally get to the velodrome is like nothing else. Do it in a group as you’ll need some encouragement at times.

tonyg2003

Done the 275km route 3 times. The cobbles are brutal, even compared to the Flanders, especially when you get tired/slow. Certainly a cycling experience to tick off.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, done P-R 3 times and the last time (2yrs ago) bust my elbow.

Cracking ride though, hard as fek if you push it (and you have to go for it through the pave’) but the road sections are ace, landscapes a different world proper Northern France and hard and grey..

If you can get in a group that rides your pace then keep it rollin, if you stop you not only stop yourself but hold up about 200 others behind you so if I have a tip..

Ride hard through the pave’.

Then grab the first shower you can and stand under if for 5hrs until your body stops vibrating.

P-R is Ace, you have to do it, regardless of what distance you choose.

atlaz
    Free Member

I already have the Liege Bastogne Liege booked in so tempted to get the second classic done this year. I bought a Cannondale Synapse last year with these events in mind as the frame is a little more comfort oriented than my Fuji. Unfortunately I’ll be doing it “solo” but hopefully with the groups that form and me speaking English and French I can find buddies en-route.

Maybe I’ll just go for the 140 then

BristolPablo
    Free Member

WWJD?* just do the 140km, if you dont you will kick yourself for a whole year….

* Jens not Jesus

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve also done the full Flanders cyclo twelve times.

😯

Once was enough for me. But we had the full experience (strong wind, rain, mud running down the Molenberg). I’m soft, so prefer the middle edition.

PR is on the list though. As is LBL.

olaf_hansen
    Free Member

Yes, did the 275km version a few years ago. It’s scorched into my memory for good now.

Me and a mate got an afternoon Eurostar to Lille and hung around until 12pm, then rode up to Roubaix to get the 2am bus to the start. At 4am, bus stopped and driver ordered us off, pointing into the gloom saying ‘right, off you now; you can ride 275km back’. Somewhat gingerly we got going but the pace racked up as everyone tried to stay in a good group.

You scud past massive, green wide open fields; the villages are lifeless, grey and silent. The only sound is the occasional church bell. If the sun’s not shining, it’s a hard, damp tough place. And then the pave arrives at 100km. All hell breaks out; it could be like being shot at. I remember people sliding everywhere; lines changing – a kind of stampede. It’s over soon enough and you’re on silky French tarmac again. On, off, on, off for 10 hours.

Really, it’s a great event – an alien world compared to ribbons of singletrack in the south.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have the 155km LBL booked already. It’s before the Roubaix one so bugger it, the 140km it is

parisroubaix

VCR version and full course 3 times for me (270k), its one to look back on with huge satisfaction. I think procycling compared to Etape to a sunday morning club run when comparing the toughness of Roubaix to other sportives. Big width tyres, run at lower pressure, bar gel and pain killers all essential. Completely agree 140k otherwise you wont get the experience and satisfaction.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Paris Roubaix challenge – Anyone done it?’ is closed to new replies.