Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Parents on newbies- night terror
  • hora
    Free Member

So hora junior wakes up in the middle of the night last night (presumably night terrors) and screams non-stop for 2hours. Inconsolable. So in my foggy-sleep-like state I gave him some milk. Calms him down….

He then sits up and starts singing and playing for a further two hours.

Sheesh. There is zip that you can do about night terror is there? Nothing at all?

wwaswas

I wouldn’t say that’s ‘night terrors’ – these tend to be repeated over a long period of time.

If it’s just once he may have had a bad dream or a touch of wind.

My son was 4 before he slept through the night. For the first 2 years he woke multiple times a night requiring a bottle ‘or else’.

I’d just see how it goes and try and avoid reading too much into one broken night.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

In my experience there is not a great deal you can do about it other than reassure them.

hora
    Free Member

Even though I was utterly knackered he was quite funny singing/playing. 8)

Spongebob
    Free Member

Nada!

Just enjoy it.

It won’t last if you don’t make a fuss.

Get the missus to try and get the wain in a routine during the day so the child sleeping is more likely when you need to sleep.

Having said all that, some babies just won’t sleep whatever you do.

It will pass.

You will have other hassles to look forward to. Best try and enjoy these. None of them last.

Harry_the_Spider

If you pay me the tenner that you owe for the velodrome session I will tell you how to stop it.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

sounds all too familiar. Our eldest was a great sleeper, so with number 2 it’s been a bit of a shock. His eyes were like dinner plates last night, just staring into the middle distance. Lord knows what he was dreaming about, but there was a cry of “Daddy. Monsters” at one stage.

bruneep

As wwaswas says that doesn’t sound like night terrors

Youngest lad had night terrors for about 2yrs. It was really scary at first not knowing what we were dealing with. He was never “awake” always in a state of sleep and has no recollection of any of the nights events. It always seem to occur when he was overtired.

We were told that it is most common in boys and that they will grow out of it, thankfully he has. We learned to live and laugh at it, we had some really funny/scary conversations with him at times.

The joys of parenthood.

hora
    Free Member

Here is the little fella (note thats not my knee)

Harry’ sorted have popped a tenner into works post. Sorry 🙂

ski
    Free Member

Your not alone, think all parents go through this, welcome to the 4am club Hora!

To make you feel a little bit better, my little one who is 4 has a rare sleeping condition, which means she has a disturbed sleeping pattern.

She was up at 11pm, 2am, 4am last night & that was a good night for us!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

think all parents go through this,

Nope sorry to disappoint, no problems here 99.9% of the time our 11 month old sleeps right through.

ski
    Free Member

Nope sorry to disappoint, no problems here 99.9% of the time our 11 month old sleeps right through.

I am so pleased for you & hope it stays like that for you.

I remember the days when we used to count in months too – lol

Harry_the_Spider

Harry’ sorted have popped a tenner into works post. Sorry

Here is the secrect to surviving the night terrors.

+

+

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Indeed, 1 month to go before she’s officially a toddler.

hora
    Free Member

😆

Which leads me onto….

Which ear protectors ‘work best’?

I have some ear defenders from B&Q and they are shit.

Any recommendations? i.e. block out 99% of the noise.

spacemonkey

Which ear protectors ‘work best’?

I bought some Peltor Optime III when our lad was a month or so old. You’ll still hear him (or her) but at a much lower pitch – probably a bit like sticking your head underwater. Can get them online for about £15+ del.

samuri
    Free Member

I reckon he’s finally figuring out who his dad is. You can understand why that would give someone the night shakes.

It’s alright, my lad was the same. They stop doing it when you die.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We had the same for the first time last night – Izzi went mentalist and nothing would console her, just writhing around on our bed having an almighty tantrum. We assumed it was a dream as she was asleep/sleepy for most of it.

And the really bad thing is that now neither of our girls will take a bottle from me during the night – they scream and try to clamber over to my wife. No, it’s really bad that is. I hate that I can’t feed them at night any more. Really gutted.

retro83
    Free Member

It’s alright, my lad was the same. They stop doing it when you die.

😆

hora
    Free Member

And the really bad thing is that now neither of our girls will take a bottle from me during the night – they scream and try to clamber over to my wife

I know, he does a double-take and ‘arrrghhh wtf get away from me’ 😆

pistola
    Free Member

Aye, both my boys did this. They grow out of it. Quite scary at first until you realise they aren’t actually awake even though they are sitting up with their eyes open (usually wailing). We found the best approach was to be calm and try to soothe them and they usually went back to sleep. If that failed we ended up taking them into a lit room and talking normally and doing stuff noisily in the room and they eventually woke up/came out of it and quietened down, although they were pretty confused as to why we’d dragged them out of bed in the middle of the night 🙄

jeffl

Happens to our middle one (23 months) now and again. Distraction, milk, story, works well. Calm him down and then tell him to get to sleep which does the trick. If it’s really bad then it’s TV time which then wakes him up completely for a couple of hours.

Oddly enough just before Christmas the oldest (6 years at the time) woke up and was inconsolable. Tried the nice approach and the mean approach. Eventually just crashed. Really weird as he’s always slept really well. No problems since though.

Either way all kids are different types of weird and most have their own idiosyncrasies.

Drac

Your not alone, think all parents go through this, welcome to the 4am club Hora!

I got kicked out of that by my kids when they both reached 6 weeks old. They’ve slept all night ever since apart from when they’ve been unwell.

Don’t give them too much attention, feed them, change them, burp them or what ever it is they want. Put them back into bed and go back to sleep.

djglover
    Free Member

Twins, 26 months old, read them little red riding hood as a bedtime story 2 weeks ago, now one won’t be left at bedtime due to being scared of the wolf eating grandma (we think). She screams for up to an hour before going to sleep, it’s very draining, she admits to being scared but its a bit vague as to the actual cause…

Just to reassure you that it has the potential to get a lot worse before it gets better

Dadsnet over and out

teagirl
    Free Member

Man up!! My daughter still has them, she’s 11 🙁

beamers

Hora

These ones work for me.

Get your box of 250 here.

molgrips
    Free Member

The playing thing is ok. Just put him in bed with some books and toys, tell him he can read or play but he has to stay in bed cos it’s night time.

Meg is often to be heard playing happily away with her toys at 3am. She goes back to sleep in her own time.

DO NOT play with him or entertain him in any way, cos he’ll think nini time is actually daddy playtime, which it’s not.

However I would like to add that with us, waking was almost always food related. She’d sleep through normally but go through a period of waking up and crying a lot. We figured out that she was just hungry. In our experience her calorie requirements vary dramatically depending on if she’s having a growth spurt or not. So she goes from eating hardly anything to being a complete ravenous monster waking up starving in the middle of the night. We found Ellas Kitchen fruit/veg pouches were good for this.

Grown ups also wake up hungry of course, but remember they can go downstairs and eat last night’s cheesecake if they want.

hora
    Free Member

Last night (before his last milk) we gave him some gripe water.

BINGO!

wwaswas

BINGO!

you gave some to the dog too?

hora
    Free Member

Oh he gets fed from the high chair every teatime 😆

Bingo has always snatched food from my fingers (sometimes nipping)- I’ve never bothered training that bit out of him. With hora junior though he is super-gentle 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My lad (10 months old) was up last night 2am – 3:30am, crying but not screaming. Laying him down he would just stand back up in his cot and continue to rubs his eyes, and I could see he was knackered.

Tryed putting a dummy in, didnt work, tried milk, didnt work. In the end I had to get him out of the bed and just cuddle him for a while and he calmed down and went back to sleep in my arms.

Its awful though when you cant work out if he is awake or asleep, or what has caused him to wake up/cry.

In terms of ear plugs, these are fantastic

http://www.boots.com/en/BioEars-Soft-Silicone-Earplugs-3-pairs_39424/

In fact they are seriously that good you can’t even hear your wife lying next to you shouting at you to go and look after your son

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Dont know whether this will help but we had similar problems with our 3 yr old. She was waking up numerous times in the night. After a bit of trial and error We worked out that she was having a growth spurt and started feeding her later and making sure she ate loads at dinner. Problem solved.

2 nights ago she didnt eat that much and no surprises when she wakes up with night terrors 3 times. Last night fed her loads and she slept from 7pm til 8am 🙂

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Parents on newbies- night terror’ is closed to new replies.