Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Panniers or Trailer?
  • NikNak7890
    Free Member

I'm planning a 2 week XC touring holiday on Morocco, and am starting to layout my kit (seeing as it's pishing it down outside!)

Never having spent anytime touring (I normally ride out and back) one thing I can't make up my mind about, is whether to use panniers or a trailer.

How many of you tour offroad, and what pros and cons have you found with either?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Never toured off road in the proper sense, but I'd be quite happy to use panniers to do it. You just wouldn't ride your normal stuff with them. Ortileb bags are nice.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I don't think there aren't any drybags better/ stronger than Ortlieb (there are some here that'll probably now see that statement as a challenge! 😆 )

There are many pros and cons with panniers and a trailer, but I read one and think "that's for me", then read the other, and think the same!!! 🙄

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

dunno if you can see this picture, but it was quite a bit steeper than it looked, and was one of quite a few techy sections i rode with the panniers.
    if anything, they hekoed at times as i had that little extra momentum to get over stuff, and i never felt like i might go over the bars…

i've used panniers a reasonable amount, and i like them – they help you organise your kit, doesn't elongate the bike, front ones hamper handling a little, but its not that bad – you get used to it, they are quick to take off to chuck over fences and gates – and are lighter than a trailer too.

http://www.facebook.com/tom.marvin1?v=photos&so=90#/photo.php?pid=33683794&op=14&o=global&view=global&subj=37109156&id=37104498

Stoner
    Free Member
    s8tannorm
    Free Member

Like Stoner I use a Carradice super C saddlebag for overnight trips or those where I don't need camping gear. I'll either add a pair of Carradice super C limpet front panniers or just use an EBC trailer when I need to carry more. I find that I notice weight in the trailer less than I do with the bag / pannier set up.

Handling will be 'altered' with either set up but you soon get used to it … the trailer tends to cause understeer pushing you out of corners.

Stuart

13thfloormonk

I've used a trailer for some XC tours around Scotland, and was perfectly happy with it in all situations.

Really techy rocky stuff, or trails with lots of drainage ditches, could be slow work, as you can't 'hop' the trailer. Don't know if you can hop easily with panniers. Trailers take some load off your rear wheel which is a good thing over long distances and rough terrain.

The one time i did use a pannier rack with some weight on it i managed to break it quite quickly when a rock flew up and hit it.

BOB trailers seem bombproof, which is nice, you can have them sliding over rocks and bashing into them sideways, and other than the paintwork, they don't seem to suffer much for it.

I don't think you can really go wrong with a trailer, just don't know if there are any advantages to pannies.

Onzadog
    Free Member

while not a direct comparison, I sometimes ride my Tricross back from work with a heavy pannier along the local canal path (the lumpen, dirt singletrack rather than the smooth crushed stone type). It really does make me worry about the state of my wheels. if I was in your boat, I'd be looking at a trailer.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Trailer every time for me. Put heavy stuff low and over the rear wheel of the trailer.

Fit as big a volume rear tyre as you can. The grip is good once you get used to the balance.

josh1982
    Free Member

check these out. These have been super popular in the states and now available here. Pacific Outdoor Equipment

welded seams and light weight.

personally I would go with panniers over a trailer.

Lionheart
    Free Member

On the road with right frame and wheels, its panniers for me (keeps up the speed) but off road i think a trailers a better bet, deals better with the rough and tumble, if mixed tracks and especially if you are not creating a touring bike I would go for the trailer.

anagallis_arvensis

I have used a BOB trailer a few times and it was good, nothing bad happend in either Norway or Slovenia/Italy and it was OK on road and off, including some bits of the Maribor worldcup downhill. Not used panniers though so cant compare. I used it as I could borrow it off a mate. A bob is also a cheaper option than quality panniers and racks, the dry sack is totally waterproof.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

I think I am leaning towards a trailer as I'd probably have to build up another rear wheel for panniers, plus I can just unhitch the trailer and I'm back to the bike I know and love if I decided to do a circular route on trickier stuff.

The price seems to be fairly similar, once I add up the price of racks & bags against a trailer.

The major downside I can see with a trailer is the issue of transporting the bike+trailer on trains or planes.

spooky_b329

Trailers can be good fun, they add an extra challenge 🙂

You don't get that with panniers.

The EBC trailer folds down, I reckon with some careful padding it could be stashed alongside the bike in a roomy bike bag. Or even sent as its own piece of luggage as it fits in its own bag.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Like Niknak says, I can be swayed by the pros and cons for both systems.

The recent tour I did was not technical but a mostly off road on tracks. My bike had an extrawheel trailer, the other half had ortlieb panniers on the back.

Handling wise the trailer has a less noticeable effect than the panniers when you first get on, but you soon get used to the handling effects with either system. The extrawheel will follow wherever, down bumps, up kerbs etc.

We never had to lift over anything, but unhitching my trailer and lifting it over seperately would have been easier than lifting the other bike with fully loaded panniers.

I'd say with my trailer you can't really put any more weight in it than panniers (well you can but I wouldn't want to) but things like thermarests and sleeping bags which are bulky but light don't end up using half your space.

Three rear wheel punctures on the bike with panniers, but prob not really significant as that bike had an extra 5 stone of person on it too.

Transport is where trailers can be more difficult, my trailer is only size of a wheel though so not an issue for me, can lift it with one hand. Wheeling bike along with trailer attached is fine, only an issue when it comes to reversing.

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Well, I think I've decided on a trailer (after spending time trying to talk myself out of it and realising it's a trailer I want).

I've found a Bob Ibex http://www.bobgear.com/trailers/trailer.php?product_id=11 2nd hand for sale.
    They want £150 for it. Sounds reasonable? as they're around £400 new.

13thfloormonk

£150 for a Bob seems good, wasn't sold on the idea of the Ibex but if its not too heavy then why not.

You won't regret buying and carrying a spare skewer and R-clips, i've managed to drop a clip once, and although the skewers are pretty robust they're probably the most vulnerable area for damage.

Enjoy!

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, the seller should be getting back to me tonight 🙂

buckylastard
    Free Member

Or this one from Edinburgh Bike Coop – same £150 brand new… considering these are all generally made in the far east and just have a logo stamped on them I know what I'd prefer. Brand new at the same price also buys you a warranty….

13thfloormonk

BoB trailers are welded cromoly, the Co-op ones are held together with nuts and bolts. The BoB skewer is also more robust, and the hitching mechanism simpler and again, more robust.

Don't mean to knock the Revolution trailers at all, but the BoB definitely oozes solidity, which is just what you want when you wang it off yet another highland waterbar…

Now, is there such a thing as a Ti BoB, or did i dream that…

anagallis_arvensis

Bob trailer is a fair bit lighter too. Take some spare pins for the wheel attachment, I did in Slovenia but also lost a few. Was easy enough to buy some though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Panniers or Trailer?’ is closed to new replies.