Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pannier Racks
  • charliegavins
    Free Member

Hi all,

Wondered whether someone might be able to help me.

Seems that there is no definitive solution in this area, and maybe that’s my answer, but wondered whether anyone has some up to date suggestions for pannier racks.

My main reason for needing one is that I would like to not need to carry a backpack commuting/touring. Needs to contain laptop, change of clothes etc.

I’d like to fit it to a Spacialized Crave Pro – which provides the following difficulties:

– 29er wheels
    – disc brakes
    – no eyelets at the top or bottom

I have been researching online and they aren’t many options available – I have considered a seat post rack but that’s not an option – want to be able to chuck stuff on and not worry. There are also threads in this forum but they are quite old. Wondering whether anyone has found a recent neat solution – there must be one out there?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

C

simondbarnes

Old Man Mountain Sherpa?

charliegavins
    Free Member

Thanks Simon!

I had seen these. I was hoping there might be a neater solution for less pounds (both weight and money!) – but if this is the only and best solution I will end up going for it.

Downsides:

– 900g weight

– Can only hold 18kg approx

– £100

Does anyone have experience with these racks? Can I load it up more than 18kg?

PJ266
    Free Member

18kG is quite a load.

simondbarnes

Axiom Streamliner 29er DLX is lighter, cheaper (£40) and claims a max load of 50kg so probably worth looking at too.

charliegavins
    Free Member

Thank you very much for your help!

I saw the Axiom too – that looks like a great bet actually – lighter and cheaper – perfect!

The main reason I didn’t go for it was that the Axiom Streamliner 29er DLX didn’t seem to be compatible for disc brakes:

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/racks/streamliner-series/streamliner-29er-dlx/

I’ve also looked at the Axiom Streamliner Disc DLX – which didn’t mention 29er wheels, although now looking at the site it mentions compatibility with 700C wheels – is that the same thing?

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/racks/streamliner-series/streamliner-disc-dlx/

simondbarnes

The 29er DLX is disc compatible. It says so in the first line of the description.

charliegavins
    Free Member

Gotcha! Great – will be buying these! Thanks a lot.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

You don’t necessarily need a rack to be disk-brake compatible – I’ve had a couple of different ones on my cx bike that weren’t made for disk brakes.

hatter

Thule rack? Fits onto either your front fork or seat stays so can be fitted front or rear, fiddley to fit first time but solid as rock once on and rated for 25kg.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pannier Racks’ is closed to new replies.