Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Pandering to fashion. Annoying.
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Not real-world annoying, granted, but bear with me.

I have noticed that Marston’s Pedigree is now marketing itself as a pale ale. It isn’t. It is a classic bitter. Mid-brown bitter. And lovely it is too (unless you get an iffy one – in which case prayer is your best option).

Just because it became a bit ‘fash’ in London to drink pale ale a couple of years ago, a classic British bitter now feels the need to market itself as something it isn’t.

This kind of sheep behavior is just degrading for a great brand and a nice beer.

It is not unlike the ‘fash’ for pear cider a few years back. Pear cider? Really? That’s perry to anyone normal. Or Babycham if you’re seventies.

Marketing bullshit – discuss. Preferably without reference to wheel size (let’s keep it civil).

CountZero

Can’t say I’ve noticed Pedigree being sold as a pale ale, it’s not common down here, and there are plenty of local breweries doing their own IPA’s to make it un-necessary, I’d have thought.
    I like a good IPA in the summer, but they often tend to be a bit strong if you’re driving; often around 6-7% ABV.
    I’ve noticed a lot of ales which are a bit too ‘hoppy’ for my tastes, I prefer a more malty pint.
    Had a couple of pints of Lancaster Bomber last night, which went down very well indeed… 😀
    Might have a couple of Moles Best tonight.
    Just had a look at Marston’s site, and according to them, Pedigree was first brewed in 1952 as a classic English pale ale. They do several other pale ales as well.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yes. India Pale Ale was originally stronger than normal beer so that it stood less chance of going off when being shipped over to India (if memory serves). I don’t particularly like hoppy beer either. If I’m just having the one, I don’t mind, though. Timothy Taylor Landlord is a lovely tasting pint, but I find it dries my mouth out too much.

Nicely kept middle of the road bitter is my absolute favorite. Give me a quality pint of Bass, Shipstones, Pedigree, Adnams Lighthouse, Woodford Wherry etc.

nickc

Have they actually changed it at all?

You do know the point of marketing though, right? To shift more units. If by persuading the ignorant that your product is what they want/need, you will shift more units. New buyers happy, old buyers still get product they had before….but as the old marketing saying goes, you can’t please all the people all the time…(or something)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bass is sold (well, labelled…more marketing?) as a pale ale too…I’m sure I saw it on the label in sainsburys recently.

The beer world is gone pale ale crazy.

sparksmcguff

IPA was a bit stronger – but not generally 6-7%. It was the extra hoppyness that helped with the preservation IIRC. I’m not a massive fan of the hipster trend toward stronger brews. Higher ABV seems to be used as an excuse for lazy brewing in order to squeeze flavour. (Unless it’s a Saison.) Happy to be educated on all of the above though – I just drink the stuff.

tonyg2003

IPA (even if they don’t know what it stands for!) is extremely popular way of describing beer over in the USA.
    A good craft IPA over there looks like pedigree.

mikey74
    Free Member

It is not unlike the ‘fash’ for pear cider a few years back. Pear cider? Really? That’s perry to anyone normal. Or Babycham if you’re seventies.

Erm, perry is made from perry pears, pear cider is made from dessert pears. There is a difference.

dannyh
    Free Member

Erm, perry is made from perry pears, pear cider is made from dessert pears. There is a difference.

Ahhhh. Knickers. I’ve been owned.

Anyway………

Back to Peddy.

Before:

After:

Reality = no change other than what the marketing man wants you to believe.

Poor.

noltae
    Free Member

Trendies are just the worst – they’ll buy into anything.. They should try reading some Edward Bernays ..

slowoldman

Classic Pale Ale my arse. It’s a bitter.

Now Marston’s Old Empire!! There’s a classic IPA.

dannyh
    Free Member

Classic Pale Ale my arse. It’s a bitter.

Now Marston’s Old Empire!! There’s a classic IPA.

Nail………..head…………squarely.

mefty
    Free Member

It is strange as they do an English Pale Ale, which is great at the cricket.

sparksmcguff

You get lovely craft brews in the states – but they seem to use the term IPA to describe anything which has a bit more flavour.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You get lovely craft brews in the states – but they seem to use the term IPA to describe anything which has a bit more flavour.

Yep, a lot of US stuff is mentally hopped and they just slap IPA on it!

That said, if you get a chance, do try examples from the likes of Stone or Lagunitas.

While we’re on IPA, my LBS has this in;

It’s really very, very good indeed.

(DD, check them out, they’re from Brizzle. Have been “gypsy” brewing for a while, but I think they’re settling down now. They also do an epic “Small beer” and their APA (Amber Pale Ale), In the Pines is a delight)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Weird O’Flashearty…seriously, I had a bottle of their IPA last night (early Valentines present – ain’t she great!!) – Bristol has gone hipster (I)PA crazy in the last year or so. Moor are also worth checking out. But to be fair, and you being a budget conscious guy who might appreciate it, some of the prices being asked for these things…beginning to take the piss a bit.

While I enjoyed the Wiper and True IPA, I’m tending to think the alcohol content of these hipster IPAs is creeping up a bit too much. I don’t mind anything in the fives but heading up into the sixes means you start to taste the alcohol a bit too much for my liking. One is enough, I’d have to settle into a few weaker fellows after that to be honest.

I have a bottle of Moor So’Hop cooling to celebrate our fine victory this evening. 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had a bottle of their IPA last night (early Valentines present – ain’t she great!!) –

Sounds like a keeper, DD! Reckon you can throw away the receipt now! 😉

Moor stuff is also lovely, as is Arbor. And so many more…! We’re truly blessed with great beer in the UK these days.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀

I had an Arbor Saison Des Fêtes during the game. Nice and fruity – right up your street!! 😛

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had an Arbor Saison Des Fêtes during the game.

I’m in your fridge, watching your beer.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Finally – you really will be cool.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Badumtsh.

Drac

And lovely it is too (unless you get an iffy one – in which case prayer is your best option).

Guess I’ve always had an iffy one.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Pretty sure CAMRA has perry being made from pears and pear cider being made from apples and flavoured with pear, but yes, definitely different.

Last time I was there (last summer) the labeling of beers was pretty accurate. The biggest disappointment has been drinking Alexanders Keiths IPA here in Canada. It’s bland, light in colour, no hoppiness at all and is more like a light beer in the mold of coors than any IPA i’ve ever had.

darrell
    Free Member

next thing you know they’ll be calling ’em “pint of mild”

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Pandering to fashion. Annoying.’ is closed to new replies.