Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Panaracer Rampage, any opinions?
  • IainFP
    Free Member

Yet another “wot tyre for”, sorry!
    Looking for a new rear boot for the Hustler, this wasCyclewise at Whinlatter’s tyre of choice. Anyone experience of these, reasonable price on CRC for a 2.3 folder.
    Cheers
    Iain

skybluestu
    Free Member

I’ve used a 2.3 folding on the front of my Pitch Pro for a while and find it OK. Not as slow rolling as it looks and good cornering grip with predictable give. Not the greatest in muddy conditions though….i.e our summer!

jimmy

Used one on the rear for years now – I really like it. Predictable but fun, good enough in anything but very muddy (even then seems to cope OK).

dan45a
    Free Member

Good all round except in the mud. Rolls ok.

mtbfix

They were my tyre of choice for trail centre duties these last years. Skinny sidewalls prone to pinching at lower pressures when hustling along but plenty grippy (mine were SCs). Only giving them up as the 2.35 was always a bit too round in profile on XT rims and the last trip to Mabie destroyed one of the pair.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I like them as my summer (if we ever have it) tyre of choice for the Lakes.

Nice on dry rock, not bad on dry gravel/dirt.
    Fast on tarmac.
    Loose bead makes them easy to fit.

Truly terrible in anything beyond mildly damp, mud, snow etc.

grizzpup
    Free Member

yep suprisingly rubbish in the wet. I think they work well as a front tyre, but less well as a rear tyre. They are shocking in muddy trails when trying to get drive up hill.

The Cinder is altogether a better tyre for most duties but they are heavy and a bit slow if you ride a lot of gravelly, fast trails

IainFP
    Free Member

The more you read, the less you understand! 😳

Lakes + occasional 7 Stanes. Been on Maxxis advantage, was looking at an ardent then thought rampage.

Now I don’t know…………..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve been running them front and rear for about 8 months now. Good tyres and a massive improvement over the previous NN setup but off back to High Rollers when these wear out…

jam-bo

quite liked them but much prefer advantages.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

The SC version is my favourite ever tyre up front, but definitely not on the back. It has ramped centre knobs so on the back it’s either rubbish for traction or braking depending on which way round you run it.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Absolutely horrible tyres – hate them!

Made a big mistake fitting them to my bike just before a long weekend trip to Dalbeattie / Kirroughtree / Mabie / Ae last year.

The compound was too hard and they slipped on everything roots, rocks and mud.

The SC (Soft Compund?) might be better, but i’d avoid the other compound at all costs – IMO!

Continental Rubber Queen Black Chilli all the way – God himself made these 🙂

IainFP
    Free Member

So then, forget about the Rampage.
    What should I be fitting?
    Conti RQ, bit to grippy/draggy gor the back?
    Another Advantage?

It’s make yer mind up time.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Advantage is good IME

I’ve just got a pair of Bonty XR4 TI (new version). £50 for a pair.
    Roll well, grip well, look good. What’s not to like?

Clobber
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of barely used Advantages, 26×2.4 exo maxxpro now redundant as moved to 29er permanently. Absolutely fantastic on rocky rooty trails, lakes etc.. My email is in my profile if you’re interested.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Conti RQ, bit to grippy/draggy gor the back?

Don’t find that at all with mine, i run mine at 40 PSI, guess it depends a lot on what pressure you run them at right enough……………..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Panaracer Rampage, any opinions?’ is closed to new replies.