Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Palpitations!!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So that woke me up! Heart bumping out my chest for no apparent reason! Recall being in a dream where I was fighting a fake batman in the cinema! WTF 😆

rone

Yes, awful, suffered more when I was a kid – my dad on beta blockers for them.

I get them.once a year now and think I’m going to die if on a ride.

Usually fix it by breathing slowly and kneeling on the floor and lowering chest.

dyls

Did you win the fight or did batman beat you up?

globalti
    Free Member

My son aged 18 has been getting this, coincidentally always on the same climb on our regular midweek evening road thrash, I’m guessing because he’s been riding hard for 15 minutes by then and his glycogen levels are dropping.

Google carotid sinus massage; one of our cycling buddies is a physician and he has performed this twice on my son, which has stopped the palps immediately.

GtiJ has had the 24 hour ECG monitor thingy but of course no palpitations happened during that time. I used to get them a lot in my teens and twenties too.

dyls

btw i get them sometimes. Noticed them more if I have been drinking caffeine.

andykirk
    Free Member

I had terrible palpitations for a while. Very scary. Checked myself into A&E one day, was told to wear a monitor for 48 hrs and go out and do all the bad things (smoking/ red bull and vodka etc) to try to make sure I had an attack when I was wearing the monitor.

This didn’t sit well with me so I went to another doctor. First question ‘How much caffeine do you drink?’. My answer ‘Oh about 4 cups of coffee and 2 cokes a day’. Dr told me to keep it to max 3 units a day, so I went one step further and reduced to 1 cup of coffee a day. Never been troubled by them since. Caffeine can be evil stuff. Might not be this of course but may be worth a try.

tjagain

waking up with a racing heart could be either nightmares or night terror. Basically both trigger your fight or flight reflex. If it subsided quickly as you woke up then nowt to worry about would be my guess

cubist
    Free Member

GtiJ has had the 24 hour ECG monitor thingy but of course no palpitations happened during that time. I used to get them a lot in my teens and twenties too.

My other half suffers terribly with palpitations – not exercise related. The one sure fire way of preventing them is for her to wear a Holter monitor.

maccruiskeen

Batman is the good guy so you obviously deserved it.

rone

The one sure fire way of preventing them is for her to wear a Holter monitor.

🙂

maccruiskeen

I was fighting a fake batman

I hate to break it to you – especially given your delicate nervous disposition – but all Batmans are fake.

joshvegas
    Free Member

maccruiskeen – Member
    I was fighting a fake batman
    I hate to break it to you – especially given your delicate nervous disposition – but all Batmans are fake.

Ah but in his dream it could have been the real batman and in dream thought he is like “whoa cool I’m fighting batman”

Or

He was fighting a fake batman thinking “this is literally the worst batman fancy dress i’ve seen” therefore knowing him to be a fake.

Its not clear.we need mire details

cheers_drive

My other half suffers terribly with palpitations – not exercise related. The one sure fire way of preventing them is for her to wear a Holter monitor.

I had 24/48hr monitors fitted on several occasions with nothing captured however hard I tried. In the end I had one implanted monitor in my chest, took 4 months to capture anything. Within days I was in the hospital being prescribed all sorts of drugs as to control the stroke risk from Atrial Fibrillation. That was 2 years ago, it took me 7 years from first seeing my GP to get them to do something. Scheduled for ablation at the end of next month.
    Get it checked out just in case there is a underlying problem.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Palpitations!!’ is closed to new replies.