Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Paint Vs powdercoat
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

which is best for longevity/finish

a mate is getting a second hand frame, he is after getting it stripped (bead blasted?) and a new colour.

Also with powdercoat, do you need to apply a clear coat over decals?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Powdercoat is tougher as it has good elasticity, wet paint will get the best finish but will chip easily in comparison to powder.

Be careful what blast media is used as some can be very harsh, I much prefer alcohol dipping/stripping.

hopster
    Free Member

Powdercoating gives a more durable finish and more 'green' as less paint is wasted when it is sprayed.

Tracey

Getting Katies frame stripped and powdercoated next week at the same place that did Abigales last year. The finish was first class

Tracey

Zone
    Free Member

Paint…simples. And not all paint chips easy… and you can touch up paint spotless, you can't Powdercoat.

We have a new paint finish that self lacquers for one coat cheap finish when baked… tests seem to be good so far

jonb
    Free Member

Probably powder coat but it really depends on what paint you are using.

You can get paints that use the same chemistry as powder coating (epoxy amine) but they are expensive. It is unlikely that most places will spray using this type of paint.

If you need to get your frame stripped, I would see what they offer. You'll be best off using something like nitromers to get the old paint off then you will probably need to shot or grit blast to give the paint something to stick to by roughening the surface. Tell them to be gentle, grit blasting can bend 4mm steel panels so could knacker your frame. It shouldn't be a problem as they will only need to sweep blast it.

After the frame has been stoved I'd have thought most lacquers would not stick very well so peel over time. There would be no "need" to do it.

jova54
    Free Member

Hey Zone, you in the painting/spraying business?

If so where are you? I've got a road frame that I'm considering getting stripped and repainted.

Cheers

pinches
    Free Member

I work as a painter.

Some valid points, Paint is not as durable as powder coating in some cases, depends on the paint type and finish used. I mostly paint rally cars using 2k paint and a very hard wearing good quality lacquer and they seam to fair very well for stone chip resistance. A good durable paint finish is 90% prep, but as highlighted a painted finish is much easier to "spot repair".

As for nitromors, if you nitromors strip a frame there is no need to then have it blasted to key the surface, i would personally use a surface prep like red scotchbrite or similar just to key the surface without causing damage. And obviously only applies to frames that have been painted, nitromors won't touch powder coating.

the problem in my eyes is cost: I have painted my own hardtails and they are not easy to paint, you certainly won't get as good a finish as a blast and powder coat for £50

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Paint Vs powdercoat’ is closed to new replies.