Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Painswick/Popes Wood/Cranham Riders Warning
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

Just to let you guys know that the tree cutting by the local forestry commission is continuing this week in Popes wood between the back of The Royal William and the top of Port Way.

There is lots of freshly cut vegitation at the top of Popes wood where the drop in for the downhill jumps are.
    If you regularly use the XC style down hill run off the top towards Cranham, you will need to lift your bike a bit of the way down (to the first multi bump bomb hole).

Also, keep an eye out for paintballers as I have seen a few groups of people up there in the evenings. (But not been shot at) but just be aware you may see them.

tang
    Free Member

im off injured atm, hows the trail that goes right after the little wall at the top after the firepit? i like that one, with the pressure pit! was being cleared at the bottom, wondered if it went further up.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Tang, that is the one I am refering to. Lol at pressure pit, I hate the bit at the end of that bombhole cuz if your on your front brake at all you can eat your bars easily!

Bottom is a little messy but the top is where they are currently working.

DarrenH

Cheers Dan, I was up there this morning, thought about giving pope's a go but decided not to.
    Gave the foston's ash-sheepscombe-cranham bridleways a go instead.
    Paintballers? think I'll start wearing the glasses more often…

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Yeah, they don't shoot at riders just each other but I thought I would let people know.

Do you have a map of the foston's ash-sheepscombe-cranham bridleways?

DarrenH

I only managed to find it on the o.s explorer map 179.
    Must say it's the best thing i've bought since getting back into offroading,
    I've spent many happy hours planning all sorts of routes.
    I'll try and get a map on here anyway Dan, (may take a while!)

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Darren, there is no rush, but a general pointer would be good as I am looking or some hardtail training rides. cheers

Dancake
    Free Member

Any updates?

Am going up around 8.00 Wednesday Night; will note any unpleasant surprises 🙂

Dimmadan
    Free Member

It was all clear last night apart from is mentioned above. We may have some rain tonight that may hit the trails but you should be fine.

mrmo
    Free Member

Fostons ash Sheepscombe bridleway,

Start at birdlip and the pub. go away from cranham, so not on the slad road, go towards the village. where the road goes sharply left go straight on, a few hundred metres up it goes right, straight on will dump you on the 417.

Follow this wiggly road for a bit. On the right there will be a side road, i think it might actually be signposted caudle green but i might be wrong, i think it is the first right but it is a good few hundred metres. Take this turning, past a few houses, the road goes left but there is a dirt track straight on, take this. if you follow this track far enough it dumps you in Cranham, but you aren't going that far. IT can get muddy, after a few turns there will be a farm gate to the left, this leads into a field there is a track, ususally quite distinct, follow. At the far side of this field is another gate and the path continues downhill along the side of a field, follow. At the bottom, stay in the bottom of the valley and follow until you hit tarmac, this is climperwell.

At tarmac go straight over and look for a track on the right climbing, follow this, after a bit of woodland the track will offer a open gateway into a field on the right, the track across the field is usually disctinct but can get muddy, follow track, when it meets hedge, follow hedge that is on left after gate way, the track should bring you to the carpark of the Fostons Ash,

At this point, go right on the road, a few hundred metres on the left are a couple of houses with a decent gateway/drive. at the end you should be able to see a wooden gate, it is marked bridleway. Through 2? gates and decend rapidly, watch for gate at bottom, Stay in the valley bottom, folloiwing track, for 1mile?

After some ponds there is a stone building and to its right a climb, take this and when it levels out keep on going, this will dump you in Sheepscombe at Farend.

Once you get to the tarmac, after a few hundred metres there is a dirt track to the right, i think it mentions cricket club. this is a long multipart climb and goes on a hile.

a few rocks etc, eventually it will flatten an you keep going following the drystone wall on the right of you. Once the track begins to decend it splits, you can go stright on and meet the road, or you can turn left and drop into the bottom of the valley, there is a short sharp climb back out after the fish ponds, this brings you to Cranham Village.

Once the dirt road runs out there is a tarmac road that goes slightly downhill in front of you. Follow until you get to the ub and the main-ish road in Cranham village, climb a few metres to the right and on the left a dirt road past a few houses.

Follow and this dumps you by the river that you get to if you decend teachers.

DarrenH

There you go!
    Thanks mrmo, I started at the houses on the stroud road, never thought of doing the other part before that.
    I'll try that next time, cheers. 🙂

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Sweet cheers.

Looks like an explore next weekend.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Got an Explorer 179 from work and marked out the route cheers.

I didn't realise that all of the Sheepcombe stuff I knew rather well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Painswick/Popes Wood/Cranham Riders Warning’ is closed to new replies.