Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Painful arms from alps trip
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Hi all, just got back from Les 2 Alpes and an amazing 3 days riding out there.

I found after 2 days of riding (7 hours each day) that my forearms felt bruised – not arm pump but more from rattling down over the brake bumps and the muscle banging on my bones (Only way I can describe it).

Anyone experienced this before? My mates didn’t suffer from it (we all got Arm pump though). It was seriously painful.

I’m thinking my suspension was too hard but not sure. Any thoughts?

Suggsey
    Free Member

You have ladies forearms or death grip!

bigh
    Free Member

First time i went to the alps i suffered the same. It was as if someone had been beating my forearms for hours. Next time i went with much better forks and never had the same issues since.

sunnrider
    Free Member

It´ll wear off, don´t worry. Most likely death grip, fear is a weird thing. That or your suspension sucks over the big stuff…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Possible solutions

Slacker grip
    One finger braking, index finger so more brakes inboard of shifters.
    Brake levers further up than you would think, 15 degrees of horizontal
    More rebound
    One of those gyro ball things to strengthen fore arms
    More relaxed on the bike, less rigidity

mcnultycop

Go and lift some weights. I used to get arm pump, bit of gym time and an unexpected benefit turned out to be curing arm fatigue on the bike.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Apply a liberal dose of rule 5. 😉

Getting your brake levers set up perfectly makes the biggest difference. Otherwise, ride as much as you can, on steep terrain if possible. Cross training also helps – I reckon indoor climbing is the best training for your hands and forearms.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

MTFU.
    Joking aside you’ll be sore for a couple of days , it’s like lifting weights after a couple of years off, after a a week or so you still feel like someone has punched you in the arm. You’ll be fine

honourablegeorge

coolhandluke – Member
    Possible solutions

Slacker grip
    One finger braking, index finger so more brakes inboard of shifters.
    Brake levers further up than you would think, 15 degrees of horizontal
    More rebound
    One of those gyro ball things to strengthen fore arms
    More relaxed on the bike, less rigidity

Agree with all that. Impressively comprehensive list

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you come back from Morzine without sore forearms then you weren’t trying hard enough, although the recommendations above are all reasonably sensible (I don’t know about slackening your grip though in my experience you hold on as tight as you need to!)
    Last time I was over I was having protein shakes with a bit of creatine in at the end of the day – it did seem to help.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Painful arms from alps trip’ is closed to new replies.