• This topic has 47 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by 10.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Pah! to all these music streamers – any iPOD users still about?
  • DezB
    Free Member

@ourmaninthenorth – yes, software-wise, nothing changes. Just the storage device in the iPod is swapped out.

CountZero

512s are still extortionate, i think it’ll be a while before they’re worth going for, I got the 256 from Amazon for £79. Not fully tested it yet but seems good so far.

Maybe eighteen months or so, I can remember when 64Gb cards came out, they were around £800; it wasn’t long before they were half that, and then around £100. Now they’re available for around £20-30.
    I can wait.
    This one has already dropped from £649 to £413:
    http://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDXC/SanDisk/SanDisk-512GB-Extreme-Pro-SD-Card-%28SDXC%29-Class-3-UHS-I-95MB_s—Class-10
    It’ll be £200, then £100, probably by around this time next year.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Not an iPod but I do have an iRiver h120 with its original battery and 20gb hdd. Gonna do similar but with an SSD as I would need a CF > SD adaptor and would probably be too bulky (unless I can find a 1.8″IDE to SD adaptor). Rockbox all the way (sadly never been made available for Classic onwards)

P20

Yes. Still have an 80gb wired into the car head unit

CountZero

Was using my Classic today, as it happens. Usually use the phone, just because it’s only the one thing to carry, and I can read a book as well as listen to music while having a coffee or two in town. I have zero interest in streaming, I have nearly 200Gb of music, why should I pay £120/year for Spotify, or whatever, especially since the current fuss about what they want to access; my photos and contacts, FFS, why would they need those?
    I’d rather stream 6Music; that’s free, but I have plenty of stuff I rarely hear, stick the pod on shuffle, and there’s always stuff that comes up, that has me thinking, “wtf’s that? Happened a couple of times today, I often RIP borrowed CD’s and get given DVD’s loaded with around a dozen albums which I rip into iTunes, and often don’t get time to give them a good listen, so I’m always being surprised by songs that suddenly appear.
    An iPod with a 256Gb card in would take my entire library, with space left over, so this mod is very, very appealing!
    Thanks, Dez, that’s a really useful link, and one I’m almost certainly going to use. 😀

CountZero

Just having a look at S/H Classics, you can pick up v5/5.5 Classics for £40-50, so I’m going to get a S/H one, a new battery, and one of the kits to convert it, along with a 256Gb card, for a hell of a lot less than the Fiio X5 I was considering getting.
    Looks like an upgrade to 512Gb would be just a card swap once prices drop to reasonable levels, which would keep me going for the foreseeable future!
    The bloke behind those kits is hinting at a 1Tb capacity Classic, as well…
    C’mon Apple, how difficult would it be to do this?

DezB
    Free Member

Apple just dont see a market for it what with all the streaming and the people with ‘small’ collections that fit on their phones.
    Its amazing how simple the little sd card adapter is, so they could easily have continued making iPods.

So, yeah, good plan to upgrade a 2nd hand one – it is reasonalbly easy if you follow the youtube vids. Also seems like 5th gen are the easiest to take apart, 6th seem to have lots of awkward clips. Only thing the vid I watched didn’t make clear was how to get the disk’s cable back in. Bloke at work showed me, its easiest with the new disk in place. Hope that makes sense!

I have been planning to do the upgrade on my classic 5. If needs a new battery so it seems like a good idea. I prefer to use my iPod to my phone for everything but rides.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Pah! to all these music streamers – any iPOD users still about?’ is closed to new replies.