Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Paging Stihl chainsawists.
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a new chain, bar and sprocket to my little ms210, but there seems to be a problem with the oiling.

The system works fine and pump oil out readily, but once I fit the bar and chain more oil drips straight out of the bottom of the saw than lubes the chain. It fails the fling test but passes the pissing out the bottom test.

Any ideas. The bar seems to be sitting flush with the hole and I can’t see how oil isn’t being driven into the port on the bar.

Shorty121
    Free Member

Can you get some pictures of the saw and bar and without the bar on the saw

flip456
    Free Member

I’m sure you’ve cleaned the bar of all muck including the oil holes!

burko73

What flip says. Oil hole blocked or bar groove blocked. Perhaps it’s the wrong bar and the oil hole doesn’t line up?

Stoner
    Free Member

ditto flip.

When swapping chains, flip the bar over, clean the chain guide and file any burs, and clean the oil ports.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Everything is brand spanking new.

Stoner
    Free Member

ah. maybe check the oil ports for machining errors (blind gallery)

Double check you really have installed it correctly.

triple check its the right model bar 😉

timber

Not a regular Stihl user, but common to a lot of stuff, depending on construction, the sprocket/clutch assembly also drives a worm gear for the oil pump. Check that it is there, engaged and not stripped.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ Id be surprised if that was knackered, but if its pissing out at the bar end then the wormpump is probably OK.

It has a funny little wire that sits in a notch in the clutch. Seems the wierdest mechanical idea, but also seems to work, more or less.
    Beats dipping your tip in a paint tin of oil 🙂

flip456
    Free Member

OP, do you still have the old bar? Have you tried refitting and seeing if the oil is getting through to pass the fling test.

timber

My mistake, speed read no oil flow, common for high use/old saws to wear out their pumps.
    Check the filter and pipework from tank to outlet.
    As mentioned above, test with old bar to benchmark.

burko73

Bit of sh&t/ sawdust/ metal filing trapped between bar and saw meaning bar not sealed against saw and oil taking the easiest route.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

My money seems to be on the front non adjustable bolt sitting slightly proud of the plastic and allowing a slight amount of gap.

rocking on the metal collar of the front bolt. Now how does one tighten those up…

boblo
    Free Member

But it didn’t do it on the old bar did it? Which means it’s something to do with the new one not the fixed stud.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

It may have done it and I’d never noticed.
    It’s had a new sharp end as I leant it to someone who ran it dry.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Paging Stihl chainsawists.’ is closed to new replies.