Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pads moving in calipers – how can I stop them moving?
  • wormishere
    Free Member

Hi,

I have noticed and increased amount of play in the pads in the front calipers…so much so I have ‘accidentally’ replaced my forks as the play manifests itself as rocking movement between the arch and the stanchions.

The only way to isolate the movement is to apply the brake and rock the front wheel which leads to 1-2mm or so rocking each way. The pads are RWD and the brake is an Avid Elixr 5.

Any ideas what is causing this (it has only just started and the rear does not do the same) and how can I fix it?

simondbarnes

Did it start when you fitted the pads?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Why is it an issue?Do you rock back and forth with the brakes on whilst riding much?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Plenty of brakes do it, swap front pads for back, if it still does it then its caliper related, if it no longer does it it’s pad related.

Wouldn’t worry about it.

wormishere
    Free Member

It was doing it with the old pads too.

It just seems to be a large amount of play which has only recently developed so had me worried it was something more serious than it seems to be. I will just leave it be and see if it develops even more.

Thanks.

br
    Free Member

Replace brake with Shimano SLX, cheap and job complete.

dnchevy
    Free Member

If they didn’t move back and forth they would have been seized in

guystabler
    Free Member

Apply a bit of friction/carbon paste on the back of the pad. Stops the movement.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pads moving in calipers – how can I stop them moving?’ is closed to new replies.