Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • padded shorts
  • mav12
    Free Member

guys do padded shorts make much difference i am doing longer road rides and getting a bit uncomfortable are the gel inserts any better seen a oair of altura gel shorts which get a good review

also wondering if having different types of saddles on different bikes is not helping

thanks

DezB
    Free Member

Yes, padded shorts help. Essential in my book!
    Gel sounds a bit dodgy though. Normal Endura padding is fine for me.

ourmaninthenorth

Simple answer: yes. And especially on the road.

Buy bibshorts – the cut is more comfortable than non-bib shorts.

Saddles – I have tended to try to ride the same saddle on all my bikes, as once I found one that was comfortable it made sense to replicate that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’d my first encounter with padded underwear yesterday, bought a pair for 6 quid out of lidl, what a difference it makes, I’m a convert!:)

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, they help.

Buy bibshorts – the cut is more comfortable than non-bib shorts.

No. For some people it is, not for others. Currently about 50/50 preference based on my club’s kit ordering.

The answer really though it to try different saddles and shorts to see. I’d certainly recommend specialized saddles and their arse-o-meter too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Different saddle and toughen up “down there”.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I’d my first encounter with padded underwear yesterday, bought a pair for 6 quid out of lidl, what a difference it makes, I’m a convert!:)”

I bought some of them last week. Taking them back today the most uncomfortable padded shorts I’ve ever warn. (no I didnt go for a ride in them)

ourmaninthenorth

No. For some people it is, not for others. Currently about 50/50 preference based on my club’s kit ordering.

Interesting. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t prefer bibs (whether “sprinter’s build” types like me, or 9-stone-wet-through hillclimbers).

mav12 – buy whatever’s most comfortable for you..!

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah but a lot of people use bibs simply because they’re more common. Especially roadies. Again, club ordering suggest it’s not related to body type.

mogrim

Did 111km on the road bike yesterday, thank god for Specialized bib shorts!

seosamh77
    Free Member

I bought some of them last week. Taking them back today the most uncomfortable padded shorts I’ve ever warn. (no I didnt go for a ride in them)

I’m not saying they were the best, but they did let me see that they do make a difference, i’ll be buying better ones shortly…£6 to try it out isn’t that bad.

must admit the lidl ones are good on the bike, extremely odd when not on the bike though!

brassneck

Shutt VR cheap shorts (around £30) are the best bang-for-buck I’ve found.. they are bibs, though I prefer non bib myself they are very good.

I have some of those Lidl ones too, and they ground me into chopped liver even with Assos’ finest minty arse lard.. now relegated to over the tights winter wear.

Taff
    Free Member

I have some Gore padded cycling shorts and some padded fox shorts. Love them…

molgrips
    Free Member

I use a different saddle on the road bike, I ride in a different position.

mav12
    Free Member

thanks for the input guys

like the look of these are gel inserts any better

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-pro-gel-waist-shorts/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

lucien

Mav12 – every manufacturer will tell you their shorts are the best, or most technolgically advanced – reality is you need to try them out, find some that fit/suit you and buy a couple of pairs.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘padded shorts’ is closed to new replies.