Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Packing a cheap freehub with grease?
  • cookeaa

I unearthed an old DMR hub to use on my London Road a few months ago, general negligence during the damp months has knackered the freehub (oddly the bearings seem to be fine though), fortunately have another couple of spare freehubs, I would like to make the next one a bit more weather (and negligence) resistant, so I was planning to liberally apply marine grease in an around the FH, especially around the rear face where most of the water seems to have ingressed.

Anyone know how likely this is to kill it though?
    I have tended not to “pack” hubs full of grease in the past, simply to avoid cooking bearing, But in this case it might make some sense… Anyone?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Marine grease is fine. Won’t kill it. It’s just if it’s around the pawls then it may be a bit of a drag on them and you won’t get a buzzing sound. Too much and might stop the pawls from engaging.

Usually want a light grease or oil around the pawls, but I tend to smear a bit of marine grease around possible water ingress points and as a layer on top of bearings.

cookeaa

Cheers, it’s odd the bearings at either end have a lip seal plus their own seals and they’ve held up fine (I’ll probably replace them too while I have it apart, the FH is a closed assembly, but there a nice little gap through which you can see the pawls, which assembles into the hub shell with no additional lips seal or any thing, so its basically perfect for water and grit to migrate into the FH mechanism…

In fairness though this hub owes me nothing, it’s been on lots of bikes, over about ten years, in a couple of different wheels and never really been maintained, but its also mostly seen dry weather conditions, this was probably it’s harshest few months, and I can rebuild it for nowt, if I drag another six months to a year of use from it I will be happy…

Spooge on the marine grease it is then…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Packing a cheap freehub with grease?’ is closed to new replies.