Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • packable lightweight down jacket/pullover idea's?
  • ton

to fit a big un.
    needs to be warm, packable and if possible shower/waterproof

any idea’s please.

druidh
    Free Member

Does it have to be down? It’s not very great if it gets wet.

ton

i did not know they were made from anything else.
    enlighten me mate.

vorlich
    Free Member

PHD? I think they have a sale on soon.

Synthetic may be a better option for wet conditions. Prism a good shout, as is the Rab Generator

rob-jackson
    Free Member

what about primaloft?

druidh
    Free Member

Have a look at Robs link. Primaloft is a synthetic insulator which will retain some insulation when wet. Down just clumps together and is useless.

The Prism is excellent BTW. I wouldn’t want to rely on it when it’s ridiculously cold but I carry one with me half of the year be that on road bike or MTB. It packs up small and neat (into its own pocket) and can be washed in a standard domestic washing machine. Ideal for enforced stops, punctures, mechanicals etc and as an emergency layer.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Primaloft is ace – love mine even when wet. Dries dead quick. Prism is very “shower proof”

cynic-al
    Free Member

shower-proof is about the lining as much as the filling, if not more.

I do like my Montane tho, barely wore my down Jacket the last 2 winters.

ton

cheers lads,,, 8)

rob-jackson
    Free Member

great on the bike, packs down to a pillow too for bivvying

druidh
    Free Member

FWIW, the Prism also has a couple of retro-reflective flashes on the back which merely adds to its usefulness for cycling!

daleftw
    Free Member

Is the Prism windproof?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes

druidh
    Free Member

Aye. The outer is Pertex which is a very finely woven synthetic. The same sort of stuff used in the Montane Velo windproofs, Buffalo and many more.

daleftw
    Free Member

Been thinking about getting one and this thread has tipped me over the edge.

I currently have a Rab Generator vest and that is wicked. Love me some Primaloft.

druidh
    Free Member

Like I said above somewhere, I really got mine as a spare layer for cycling. Somehow it seems to have become my standard outer layer. In fact, I’m thinking of buying another!

vondally
    Free Member

Prism is windproof but more of a fleece warmth than down coat.
    PhD I have a minimus very warmth for weight.
    Warmest coat I have is a keels primaloft belay jacket…..15 quid tk maxx.
    Try decathlon mega sizes in there and usually value for money.
    As above descriptions on differences bob on.
    Alpkit great value for down…..SO has two great fit

druidh
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Montane can on occasions have a difficult fit for the, ahem, larger gentleman, Ton.

So, try before you buy! Good kit apart from that. Primaloft is indeed awesome stuff, too.

druidh
    Free Member

Pah! Ton is a lightweight these days!

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have used a Rab Generator smock for a number of years and it is great warmth for weight even when wetted out. there is a wash in Nikwax treatment to help stop the Primaloft from absorbing water. The other good thing is that if you wear a man made base layer with it it dries pretty quick and breathes supremely well for a warm jacket. Packs down really small too. Stayed warm on a winters really nasty cold wet ride with a merino baselayer and the Generator.
    Throwing in one more low baller, if you compress pack it what about a Buffalo Special 6 Shirt or their bike jacket-great for us larger peeps just got to order nice and early. Its, The 6 that is, also designed to be worn next to the skin so no damp shirts/jerseys.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

big fan of my rab generator smock – wear it for riding, mooching and skiing…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘packable lightweight down jacket/pullover idea's?’ is closed to new replies.