Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pacenti TL28 or DL31 – Pitch Pro upgrade
  • idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Seeing as SS are chucking a decent discount onto their Pacenti/Switch wheelsets I thought I’d splash out and upgrade my Pitch, but which rims?

Current rims are the OEM Alex/Specialized ones, 26mm wide external (so guessing at 21mm internal). Generally run 2.3-2.4 tyres.

TL28 are 28mm external/23mm internal, DL31 are 31mm external/26mm internal. Lighter weight of the TL28s vs width and better tyre profile (?) of the DL31. Riding is mostly Surrey Hills with regular-ish Wales/Scotland trips, plus annual Alps jaunt. Like to jump, not massive but getting bigger.

Flow EX fall right between the two size-wise IIRC, for reference.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

No-one..?

daver27
    Free Member

considering exactly the same here. swaying towards the DL31. the TL23 SS wheelset is being used by a mate and they are really really light, no reason to worry about strength so far either it would seem.

jairaj

No personal experience with the Pacenti rims but read a few reports about them being a bit soft so go for the DL31. I think the TL28 is supposed to be a XC rim. So for a Pitch and for someone who likes to get some air and have fun maybe the DL31 is a better option.

deviant
    Free Member

The TL28 rims take a slagging in MoreDirt’s review of the Codeine, its the one thing they were unhappy about….reckoned they were having to use pliers to pull dings out after most rides…get the DL31 rims.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I have a friend with the 28s and they are very soft, his rear one is covered in dings hes a fly weight as well so pretty easy on wheels.

BillOddie

I have DL31s on my Karate Monkey. No complaints.

Northwind

My limited experience of Pacentis says they’ll dent if a Pitch so much as looks at them. The DL might be up to it but the TL’s not.

Another good Stans alternative is the WTB Frequency, I put an i25 in the back of mine just recently and first impressions are that it’s less denty than a Flow Ex (I rode a big chunk of a rooty dh trail at la thuile on a flat with it, not so much as a scratch) Haven’t used it enough to really judge but it’s a good start.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Looks like the DL31s are the ones to go for then – have seen several reports now saying that the TL28s are a bit soft. Guess they’re just a bit too lightweight for the width.

jairaj

I think people think they are are strong rim designed for some abuse because they are wide.

But really they are XC rim designed to be wide so lighter riders can have the benefits of wider rims.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Depending on how heavy you are and what you ride you might want to consider the tactic rims.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pacenti TL28 or DL31 – Pitch Pro upgrade’ is closed to new replies.