Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pace 405, am I committing to 2 obsolete technologies?
  • FOG

My search for a new 26″ frame continues after a 2nd hand purchase fell through . I noticed Pace still have a few 405 frames for sale new. I really liked the look of them back in the day but am wondering if the design is just too old and I should hang on for a better second hand 26er? And yes I know about Pace’s reputation.

trout
    Free Member

I had one and the seat tube cracked

willv

just put my well used large frame in the classifieds !!!!!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Once when riding with BWD of these parts, I’m sure he said he had one with a slackset etc fitted and it was a bit of a weapon. To the point it stuck in my mind when I was frame shopping last year and I was very tempted but went with a Five instead.

MrNice
    Free Member

I had one. It didn’t crack and I bloody loved it until it was nicked. Was slightly too short (my fault for buying a medium not a large) but the suspension was great, especially climbing.

Mackem

It was great until I chainsucked a whole intto the frame. Going 1×10 would cure that problem.

raisinhat
    Free Member

For that money, why not get a Nukeproof Mega TR brand new? Old wheelsize, but modern everything else.

tightywighty
    Free Member

Didn’t get on with mine, certainly wasn’t a 5 star bike as all the reviews said. Paint quality was rubbish as well. Looked cool though.

oxym0r0n

Salsa a la carte?

beaker

I’ve got one, it’s very very nice. Perhaps a bit heavy though.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I used to really enjoy riding mine.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oa697U]IMG_1263[/url]

BadlyWiredDog

I had one, liked it lots at the time, got Ragleyfied, started to find it a bit twitchy. Stuck a slack-set on it – as DBW says – which improved it, but never quite felt right, so I ended up selling it. Bought a Blur 4x off eBay while my Ragley Ti was being fixed under warranty and it’s a better frame for what I do with it.

I thought it made a nice all-round trail bike, but I have to admit that I don’t really miss it and I’ve come to prefer a slacker head angle. On the plus side it has a 44mm headtube, so you can use tapered steerer forks but I found anything more than 140mm made it a bit wandery on the climbs. And yes, it’s a little on the heavy side, from memory the actual weight was a little more than Pace said on the spec.

Depends what you’re looking for I guess.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

the more 26″ bikes you buy the less obsolete they become

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pace 405, am I committing to 2 obsolete technologies?’ is closed to new replies.