Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Oxford/Newbury Riding this weekend – Ideas on a route
  • peak1

Passing through on the A34 this weekend and am looking for somewhere different to ride. A quick search has brought up the Ridgeway but also some tales of severe mud. Any recommendations around this part of the world?

Cheers.

misterduncan
    Free Member

I’ve done some good riding around Greenham Common and in the woods near Hermitage. Lots of little trails all over the place. Not enough for an epic all dayer, but good for a blast.

drofluf
    Free Member

Ridgeway has dried out quite a lot, was even dusty the other weekend!

hooli

Yes, the Ridgeway has dried out a lot. Some of the trails that branch off from the Ridgeway are a bit boggy but all in it is OK.

Biggest issue at the moment seems to be damage caused by horses while the ground was wet.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Lots of little trails but you need to know how to link them up. Greenham, Watership Down, Wayfarers walk, Buckleberry, snellsmore, etc. Nothing terribly exciting though. I’d offer to show you some if I wasn’t busy this weekend.

Maybe a diversion down the m4 to Swinley?

peak1

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll take a look at the Ridgeway again and see if I can piece something together. Otherwise I’ll carry on going and see what the South Downs has to offer.

Cheers.

weeksy

Tonnes and tonnes of riding here, Ridgeway, East Ilsley, Beedon, Hermitage, Aldworth, Ashampstead, even up to Buckleberry etc… loads and load.

Sadly, i’m not about this weekend and don’t have any fangled Garmin routes i can give you.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

As per Weeksy above and don’t forget Pangbourne and the south Chilterns. Nice riding out there, although get an orange OS map.
    Hows the ribs Weeksy?

weeksy

I’ve managed a couple of sessions on the gym bike yesterday and today, only 36 and 39mins for them, ribs are still stopping me sleeping well and seem to hurt more when i wake up.
    Sneezing isn’t a complete disaster now, but still hurts..

I’m at Rockingham on Saturday on the new track bike, so hoping they hold up for that.

Thanks for asking matey.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

fixed wheel, no brakes….. used to crap me up everytime on the boards of Manc

40mpg

I’ve done a route based on this route from the Hants CC site, but swapped teh road sections with bridleway after a quick look at the OS map.

Couple of nice hills, some lovely views off watership down. Probably got a gpx of it somewhere if you want.

peak1

Hi 40mpg. Looks like just the thing I was after. If you have a gpx then great but I’ll go and get the required map anyway and see what I can bring together.

40mpg

peak1, whats your email?

cinnamon_girl

Whitchurch route a good ‘un but what state is the byway in that leads to the A34 underpass? I’ve seen it seriously bad there in Winter.

Lambourn Downs?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Oxford/Newbury Riding this weekend – Ideas on a route’ is closed to new replies.