Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Oxford light offroad loops?
  • jekkyl

Hello. I’m planning a meet up with my mate in November in Oxford. He has a hybrid so I’m looking for loops we can do together. Was thinking gravel tracks, sustrans paths, woodland fireroads sorta thing around the area and looking for recommendations for places to consider. We did the ridgeway last time and he was bit underbiked and we’ll be meeting in November when it’ll be a bit muddy so it’ll be unlikely we’ll do that again.
    I see the Thames passes Oxford, does it have a cycleable path or what else can anyone suggest? Looking for a loop under 30 miles and extra points for places of historical interest or scenic vistas, water etc.
    Thanks.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The Thames Path is very limited on the bit you can cycle but you can ride down on NAtional Cycle Route 5 to Abingdon, then Didcot onto Wittenham Clumps onto Walling ford and then back via Dorchester back to Oxford.
    Or at Wittenham cut up to Clifton Hampden an head back to Oxford.

Cycle routes some quiet roads and a a bit of busy road.

jkomo

It can be muddy but you could ride along the river to Jericho, then on canal tow path to Thrupp.
    Cut across to Woodstock, lunch at The Black Prince, (cheap and really decent) ask to leave bikes there, then walk over the road through the locals gate, walk around Blenheim Palace gardens for free, back to Oxford on A44, nice wide bike path. Get pissed.

dknwhy

I suggest THIS site for planning routes. Favours quiet roads and sustrans paths. Also got a handy feature on the front page where you can specify a distance and it will give you route ideas to places of interest/cafes etc.

dragon
    Free Member

Just do a road ride, it’ll be far nice, and plenty of quiet lanes out of Oxford.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Oxford light offroad loops?’ is closed to new replies.