Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Owning two cars on one insurance policy
  • GJP
    Free Member

I have been thinking about buying a second fuel economic car for daily commuting duties and keeping my racier Audi for weekends and long drives etc.

I appreciate the cost of a running a second car will far exceed the savings in the monthly fuel bill, but keen not to keep on putting more and more miles on my first car.

However the insurance premiums are looking like a deal breaker a circa 140% increase to insure both cars on a mutli-car policy. Given one car will be garaged all week and my annual mileage will not increase I feel like my current insurer in stinging me (Aviva)

What are other peoples experiences, any insurers that specialize in multi-car policies?

br
    Free Member

Daft thing to do IMO, just use the car you enjoy driving.

GJP
    Free Member

Over the last week I have been coming to the same conclusion myself :lol:, but there are lots of petrol heads running two cars?

br
    Free Member

Run a 535i as my only car, c/w tow bar for rack – sorted.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Will be interested how this thread pans out as have a freelander for towing caravan and bike duties and a smaller company car that goes back next week as my jobs finished, once new employment is sought I’m going to need a runabout for work duties as I will probably have to travel so I’m thinking two car policies as well missus doesn’t drive so freelander will sit at home most of the time.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

you could probably run an older vag group 1.9 diesel circa 2000 for fairly cheap.

rickmeister

Could work if you go down the Bangernomics track with 3rd PFT insurance and treat it like an expendable commodity….

br
    Free Member

once new employment is sought I’m going to need a runabout for work duties as I will probably have to travel so I’m thinking two car policies as well missus doesn’t drive so freelander will sit at home most of the time.

But why would you ‘need’ another car, just use the Freelander?

boltonjon

I run 2 cars on the same policy, but each car has its own separate no claims level

Been doing it for about 5 years and insure a V8 Disco and a V6 A4 for about £450 a year

totally clean license mind

I suggest that you shop around asking the question – i doubt they’ll advertise it on their website

GJP
    Free Member

Been doing it for about 5 years and insure a V8 Disco and a V6 A4 for about £450 a year

Bloody hell, I have a clean license full no claims and was offered £1400 plus a year for my two cars. Bastid London post codes, albeit as I am only starting off on a 2nd car, I only have a no claims discount for one car.

boltonjon

To be fair, i clocked up my no claims on a Citreon AX for a year or two – that helped a lot!!

Plus, I’m getting on in life (mid-30s) and I live in the country as well, which probably helps 😆

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Why would I need another car? Mileage /mpg and cost of tyres as it runs 18 inch alloys, I’m thinking an old saxo/106 15d that would do 60 + mpg and be run for pennies I could end up working 50 miles away do running the freelander would prove expensive

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Owning two cars on one insurance policy’ is closed to new replies.