Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Owning a caravan…
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I bazookajoe’s small van.

The feeling of isolation from the ‘camping experience’ / ‘outdoors’ when you’re sat inside.

Hmm.. we still have a full set of camping gear which was most recently used in the US last year. We’ll always have a need to camp, but we view caravanning as accommodation for when you’re doing other stuff, not as an activity in itself.

So for feeling the outdoors, there’s walking into the hills and camping. For staying somewhere for a family holiday whilst you go to beaches, castles, local towns and whatever, there’s caravans. Better than B&Bs and cheaper than hotels imo.

mr-bump
    Free Member

One thing to bear in mind if your considering towing with a van is that many cam sites wont allow them onto the sites as they are asscoiated with the traveller community.

I used a transit T280 and found the easiest way to find out hat could be towed was to ask at one of the VOSA stations as i found the information on the net very confusing.

The towing limit is based on MAM (maximum allowable mass) therefore and empty van can tow more that a loaded one.

Woth bearing in mind as the temptation is to load the van with bikes and gear etc.

marcus
    Free Member

Mol – I sort of agree. We bought ours before we had kids and used to go walking etc. for 12hours and it was just somewhere to sleep at the end of the day. Things seem to have changed a bit now and for the time being, I would rather pitch a tent in the south of france (and go to beaches, castles, local towns and whatever)than sit in a c’van in the UK.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well that’s true, if you can’t afford the diesel to get anywhere interesting then that’s a significant point. However, we’re still keeping our camping gear like I say.

Although our camping set-up is as light weight as we can get for a family, so we can take it on a plane. We wouldn’t bother with pop-up kitchens and wardrobes etc since that’s too close to caravanning. And it becomes a lot more work to put up and take down than a light weight 4-man tent 🙂

Of course – having the caravan doesn’t mean you have to sit inside it.. that’s what awnings are for 🙂

stevemtb
    Free Member

Where are you based? I am selling my recently repaired and refurbished van if you are interested email in profile. I can throw in full starter kit and awning…

I’m Edinburgh based.

Think I’m going to stumble on the post ’97 licence and towing on the back of a Transit though. Sounds like I’d have to get one of the tiny caravans (not against that idea) to fall into the weight category, either that or tow with my Jag and the main benefit of the van is that bikes are hidden away all weekend. Got quite a nice set up in the van sleeping in the back seats but for things like the ‘puffer which is on my list it’d be great to have somewhere a bit warmer to sit in off laps.

Will have a look at the VIN plate later.

Thanks for all the info everyone is sharing in this post though, hope asking the question about the cheaper ‘van isn’t counted as a hijack!

molgrips
    Free Member

What transit is it?

Bear in mind you can hide or otherwise secure bikes inside caravan… My ‘van is 1050kg all up I think.

stevemtb
    Free Member

What transit is it?

Bear in mind you can hide or otherwise secure bikes inside caravan… My ‘van is 1050kg all up I think.

It’s an ’05 plate, T280 2.0tdi. The 100bhp one. Didn’t take it when we were out the office for lunch so never got a look at the VIN.

Would much prefer to have the van at any race weekends, can keep much more kit randomly in there and happier to treat it as much more of a ‘dirty’ weekend car. Jag tends to be nice and clean without all the bike clutter in it.

If you’re around the same area I certainly wouldn’t mind a look around it, got to sort out whether I can tow it, find somewhere to store it and get a tow bar on the van (car has one already) but that’s all easy enough to sort out!

molgrips
    Free Member

So – the max train weight, this is the maximum your rig is allowed to weigh at the time you are towing? So your van may be able to carry 3t or whatever, but if you don’t, you’re ok?

A quick google suggests your van might weigh 1800kg or so, roughly, which leaves 1000kg for an older van (like mine 🙂 ) and 700kg left for passengers and junk.

Incidentally I think my van is 900kg or thereabouts unladen, fully laden is 1050… but you’ll not have much in it if you are filling your van with bikes/awnings/whatever.

I live in Cardiff unfortunately… long old way even to meet halfway.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

stevemtb
    Free Member

Haven’t been down to Cardiff to see my mate in ages, if I wasn’t busy pretty much every weekend I’d actually be due a trip down there.

That plus I’d probably have to tow it on the Jag which would be horrific on fuel, 4.2 v8 with a supercharger, towing, covering 400 miles each way – it’d probably cost more than buying a brand new one up here!!!

Out of interest, what type of caravan is it to get an idea what I’d be looking at?

molgrips
    Free Member

Mardon Dalesman 460/2, early 90s vintage. 16′ ish, 2 berth, the seats are long enough to sleep on without having to make beds up. Fridge, oven, gas/electric water heater, gas blown air heating, cassette toilet, shower.

Fully repaired damp, new carpet, and 3 new tyres 3 years ago (almost all cheap vans have knackered tyres) Awning, water and waste bottles, relevant pipes, electric cables, gas bottle.

Even though it’s old and a little scruffy, it’s surprisingly comfortable and appealing – much more so than most of the cold dank vans you’ll see that price point. I’d not be selling it if we didn’t have kids.

You’d be surprised with the Jag – big petrol engines lose less economy than more efficient cars when towing.

stevemtb
    Free Member

As this is getting a bit away from the original topic do you fnacy dropping me an email (in profile) with pics, what price you were thinking etc Mol?

As said above I’m in no rush to do anything but if the right opportunity came up I’d certainly be prepared to move!

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Owning a caravan…’ is closed to new replies.