Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Own up; which one of you was this?
  • aracer
    Free Member

Part of the point is that even one cyclist on the pavement cycling dangerously is still less of a danger than one driver driving dangerously (whether on the road or the pavement). Though the original point you replied to was a general one rather than a specific one: “in general they don’t introduce the danger to the road” (and you replied with “they”!)

I have no problem at all with this guy getting caught, prosecuted and fined – and the size of the fine possibly isn’t unreasonable if he has a high income. The fine was mostly for dangerous cycling BTW – £1250 for that, there’s clearly a zero missing.

Though as usual I’m not sure we disagree at all! 🙂

xyeti
    Free Member

he wasnt running though, he was cycling, so no doubt the Police statement mentioned the words “Speeding” and “Dangerously” away from the scene of the alledged offence.

Where are the figures for Fatalitys on Pavements by the Cycling Community?

At the end of the day he’s riding a bike, It doesn’t bother me how little or how much he spends on cycling where he does it or the balance of his bank account. In my own little world and in my head the person riding down the pavement on a motorbike snatching phones from a pedestrian doesnt get chased by the two Coppers who just witnessed the crime but this guy gets the court appearance, mentioned in the papers and a criminal record no doubt and for what? Making a copper brake hard. Jesus. If they hadn’t persued him he wouldnt have had to mount the pavement in an attempt to make good his escape.

You would think that the Police would learn that chasing people through built up areas usually results in eirther party mounting the curb and or a fatality.

Any way, im off out on my bike now to see if i can cut up a copper and get chased, i’d be more embarassed that i’d been caught and named. I wonder if its on STRAVA?

molgrips
    Free Member

and for what?

Stopping when the police ask you to stop could be considered a core principle, surely? I think that’s what this is about.

Though as usual I’m not sure we disagree at all!

Fair enough 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I’m inspired – now I feel the need to create a cycling segment titled “evading the police” going through a pedestrianised area (I’m not necessarily joking either!)

martinhutch

I’m inspired – now I feel the need to create a cycling segment titled “evading the police” going through a pedestrianised area (I’m not necessarily joking either!)

Giving us all a bad name, you are. 🙂

xyeti
    Free Member

It only counts if you get captured and your own evidence incriminates you.

Good Luck.

kerley
    Free Member

Stopping when the police ask you to stop could be considered a core principle, surely? I think that’s what this is about.

Exactly. I used to be an ‘enthusiastic’ driver when young (read should never have been allowed on the road)
    Each time I saw lights behind me I pulled over and politely discussed my driving with the police officer. At no point did I attempt to make a breakaway…

cookeaa

Judge is correct in his comments.

This magistrate’s comment seemed a bit unnecessary and unhelpful to me.

..was told by magistrates that he had ‘done nothing for cylists and people already do not like cyclists’.

People don’t much like London dwelling bankers which is of course half the draw of such prime click-bait.

The trouble with magistrates is perhaps that their opinions and biased world views seem to slip into summary statements and sentencing, perhasp limiting their comments to the case in hand would be prudent, rather than chipping more noise into the social commentary on “the war on Britain’s roads!”

Fine was appropriate, bicycle user (see what I did there) was a bellend. Not much else to say really…

aracer
    Free Member

The trouble with magistrates is that they’re probably mostly DM readers!

duckman

Reading the account of him getting blocked in and turning x 2, all that was missing was the Benny Hill theme tune.

cookeaa

aracer – Member
    The trouble with magistrates is that they’re probably mostly DM readers!

seems to match the target demographic… Mostly white and over 50, but in fairness the gender mix of magistrates is good…
    But not too much of a logical leap, really… Why not join and fight the rot from within?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Do some people really think that any attempt to make the impact of a financial penalty more equal is a bad thing?

Fair point.

What is annoying is the trivial fines that get handed out when a motorist has injured, or worse, a cyclist say..

We’ve all seen news where fines of a few hundred pounds, points & a possible suspension has been deemed an adequate punishment..

Ergo a £2k fine looks rather excessive….if that is indeed the number? Or is it closer to £1k? Either way, I’m still not totally sure it’s in line with some of the stuff that gets handed out to motorists..

chestrockwell

Chester Stockwell, I did report it, and was told exactly that. The driver had commited NO offence as he was treating the red light as a “GIVE WAY”

I Also Questioned the legality of coming straight at me on my side of the road, basically he was about 10 cars back and cut into the on coming traffic to meet me head on. I wasnt Injured as i slid off the bonnet and was Cycling with 3 Other colleagues. I was working in Whitehall at the time 2008 and didnt persue any cause of action and didnt go ambulance chasing, “Way too dangerous” Apparently.
    We took the Piss out of the coppers for a few weeks as was usual at that time and didnt really get that bothered about it at that time.

If you had right of way and he hit you he was not giving way so had you chased it up the driver would have got the same punishment as anyone else doing the same.

Lad at my work just got a ticket for speeding in the Fire Engine.

DezB
    Free Member

Catherine Hobey-Hamsher has done nothing for the low esteem in which magistrates are held. Now I think they’re all ****.

aracer
    Free Member

I found this other article which puts a rather different light on the matter:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/26/banker-who-cycles-to-work-to-relieve-stress-leads-police-on-20-m/

Apparently he’s a French national – clearly the magistrate was very lenient.

MoreCashThanDash

The good news is that if you think so poorly of magistrates, then you are free to volunteer your time and have a go yourself.

xyeti
    Free Member

I’m warming to the guy, I wonder if he fancies doing the Red Bull Fox Hunt. Next year?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Would he get barred from regulated financial positions for this? You have to have a CRB check for a lot of the more senior positions, don’t you?

xyeti
    Free Member

The FSA checks are pretty stringent,

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

@xyeti, I seem to remember pretty insignificant things can bar you if it shows a lack of good character.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Couldn’t drop a couple of fat donut eaters in a car on Londonderry congested roads? Needs to have a word with himself.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Own up; which one of you was this?’ is closed to new replies.