• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by lord.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Owen Coyle…
  • MrSparkle

… has gone to Bolton. From Burnley site: http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/page/LatestHeadlines/0,,10413~1923711,00.html

Good. I think…

trig
    Free Member

No team should have to put up with a 'want-away' keeper. I thought he might have gone to Celtic in the summer.

That's Burnley down then???

jimmy

shame for burnley i'd say. curbishley must be loitering somewhere…

wors

owen coyle, owen owen coyle, gets the ball, scores the goal owen owen coyle.

geoffj

Fantastico!!!!!

mike_check
    Free Member

Shame for Burnley, I thought he would've stuck with them after he turned down Celtic, regardless of Bolton being longer established in the Premier League they are not a good side and I would take greater pride in continuing the Burnley job, ensuring survival for this season than jumping ship to another side. Hate Bolton, bunch of shitkickers, would love it now to see them go down and Burnley survive.

Gary_C

Hmmm….

Seems more of a sideways move to me.From one smalltown club to another.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sounds like an odd move. I know he played there etc but he seemed to have a half decent set of players at Burnley. Garside must have promised him some pocket money… How long til Eagles and Alexander make the move to the Reebok?

Dave
    LUFC fan

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Bolton are a bigger club than Burnley, no? Coyle'll do well with a bit more resources. He started his managerial career with my club (Falkirk) and he and Yogi did a great job.

Gary_C

Bolton are a bigger club than Burnley, no?

Indeed they are.Just a bit of local rivalry banter off me. 😀

Bolton might be a bigger club but definitely not a better team/squad at the moment.

Maybe a good long term move if Coyle can keep Bolton up.

matt_bl
    Free Member

I just hope that the 'bigger' club do the decent thing and don't screw us over compensation! (I don't hold out much hope though)

I think it shold be enough to leave us without the best manager we have had since maybe forever, well that I can remember (sincere apologies to Jimmy Mullen and Stan). Nice timing to do it in the middle of the transfer window as well, that should really make the place attactive to transfer targets.

Please don't come back looking for players, although I can see that taking the likes of Fletcher, Nugent and Eagles would add to the Bolton squad and speed the transition to Coyles way of playing.

I now hope Bolton get relegated, but I fear that with Coyle in charge the only direction will be up!

Matt

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Simple decision IMO. BWFC are an unfashionable club with second rate premier ship players and a relatively small kitty to plunder. They have however in the last 10 years left Burnley in their wake. It will take Burnley at least 5 years to get to where BWFC are now.

hicksville
    Free Member

a real shame, good manager of a team that plays football,talk of jack wilpshire going on loan in Jan guess that will be scuppered. Bolton are a poor one dimensional team and even with Owen Coyle have a poor side. I do hope Burnley stay up but they have a dire defence, really want Bolton and Blackburn to go down. Burnley play Bolton at end of Jan should be intresting.

geoffj

Bolton are only 2 wins off potentially being in the top half of the table – with their 2 games in hand. Their GD suggests they should be above Blackburn, Burnley, Wigan and Wolves. The only way is UP.

As an aside, I met Owen Coyle in a pub, just up the road from me in Dunkeld in the summer of 2007. I was chatting to him about his time at Bolton, and what he thought about Sammy Lee etc. and he seemed a really decent unassuming chap.

Lets hope he can do the business like he did at my other, other club, St Johnstone 🙂

MussEd
    Free Member

Jesus on a Bendy Bus – out of interest,was he drinking alcohol? If you remember?

geoffj

Jesus on a Bendy Bus – out of interest,was he drinking alcohol? If you remember?

Don't think he was, was with a large family group having a meal. Why has he got form as an alcoholic?

matt_bl
    Free Member

eat_more_cheese – Member
    Simple decision IMO. BWFC are an unfashionable club with second rate premier ship players and a relatively small kitty to plunder. They have however in the last 10 years left Burnley in their wake. It will take Burnley at least 5 years to get to where BWFC are now.

I think we'll manage 18th in the premiership, within a little less than five years. 😉

Matt

MussEd
    Free Member

Jesus On a Bendy Bus – Nah not at all, it was just I read a profile about the guy before Christmas. It went heavy, heavy on the family side/tee-total/never had a drink in his life kind of thing so I was putting 2 and 2 together, having visions of him sneaking down his local!

Think he's an excellent manager and coach and wish him all the success at a club for whom i don't really care!

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Jesus, I can +1 the nice guy bit. Have met him at a Sportsman's Dinner when he was at Falkirk and he was a really good lad. I think he had had a drink that night though, MussEd

waynekerr
    Free Member

He' do well to stay up this season, as an outsider I think Burnley have a better chance, I reckon a bad move for him long term, he should have stayed in his Premiership apprenticeship a little longer.

West Ham, Hull & Liverpool are all going to be in the hunt for new managers shortly too, possible Birmingham too as it won't be long before McLeish is poached away, I predict Big Eck will take over at Man U when SAF retires.

domino

Gartside must have really wanted Coyle given he must have known Burnley would want compensation. I thought the job would go to Curbishley, I understand him and Gartside are pally. Lets hope Coyle can keep Bolton up (it'll certainly keep my Dad cheerful – he nearly lifted the roof off the car he cheered so loudly when he heared Megson had been sacked).

lord
    Free Member

shame he's leaving , who would be a good replacement ? there isnt going to be cash to buy players , be nice if bolton go down and we cling on for another season in the prem

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Owen Coyle…’ is closed to new replies.